Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether this is the right forum or not, feel free to move it.
    Anon because my family are on here and would freak out if they knew this!

Whenever I sit down to study, I get anxious. I get the "dread" feeling in the pit of my stomach, my pulse quickens, my hands start to tremble and I start fidgeting. My breathing quickens and I can't concentrate.

This seems to happen automatically everytime, and then throughout the next 20 minutes, I start to think of the sheer amount of work that lies ahead and that there's no way I'll ever get through it - even though I know that it is perfectly possible and that I do it every year. I start to feel well and truly sick and really irritable at this point and want to stop but usually force myself to continue otherwise nothing would ever get done.

After a few hours like this, I'm completely drained and lifeless and I don't feel like doing anything except going to bed. At nights, I can't sleep worrying about it.

This happens all the time, however much time I've got to do it in, I always get that panicky feeling that I'm desperately cramming the night before - which was indeed something I used to do when I was still at school. I've tried breaking it down, tried working so that I'm ahead of the course but whatever I do, I can never seem to get past the barrier that the work sets for me.

Consequently, every hour I'm not studying feels like borrowed time and I feel guilty that I'm not working to my "potential" and I can't enjoy it at all. I range from a huge and probably disproportionate belief in my self (academically) and great confidence to despair that I fail to grasp even the basics at times and feel like giving up.

So far, I've buckled down and ignored this feeling and I am doing well and I'm up to date on my course. But it's now got to the point that I dread the next day and seem to be caught in trap. Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    OK, anon fail, never mind.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you not want your parents and family to know this?

By telling people about your anxiety, you will be able to get the support you need.

Talk to your teachers, tell them that you are finding it difficult to study, and they may be able to provide some support or give you a hand with your studying between classes. Just a guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daya)
    I don't know whether this is the right forum or not, feel free to move it.
    Anon because my family are on here and would freak out if they knew this!

Whenever I sit down to study, I get anxious. I get the "dread" feeling in the pit of my stomach, my pulse quickens, my hands start to tremble and I start fidgeting. My breathing quickens and I can't concentrate.

This seems to happen automatically everytime, and then throughout the next 20 minutes, I start to think of the sheer amount of work that lies ahead and that there's no way I'll ever get through it - even though I know that it is perfectly possible and that I do it every year. I start to feel well and truly sick and really irritable at this point and want to stop but usually force myself to continue otherwise nothing would ever get done.

After a few hours like this, I'm completely drained and lifeless and I don't feel like doing anything except going to bed. At nights, I can't sleep worrying about it.

This happens all the time, however much time I've got to do it in, I always get that panicky feeling that I'm desperately cramming the night before - which was indeed something I used to do when I was still at school. I've tried breaking it down, tried working so that I'm ahead of the course but whatever I do, I can never seem to get past the barrier that the work sets for me.

Consequently, every hour I'm not studying feels like borrowed time and I feel guilty that I'm not working to my "potential" and I can't enjoy it at all. I range from a huge and probably disproportionate belief in my self (academically) and great confidence to despair that I fail to grasp even the basics at times and feel like giving up.

So far, I've buckled down and ignored this feeling and I am doing well and I'm up to date on my course. But it's now got to the point that I dread the next day and seem to be caught in trap. Can anyone help?
    I thought this was normal lol... don't worry I'm exactly the same. I feel guilty about not revising to the extent that I can't go out with my friends and have a good time. I only get it for things I really care about. Something that's calmed me down about my Psychology exam that I am no prepared for at all is that I can retake it in the summer Just think, there are always retakes, it really doesn't matter!

ReputationRep:
    When I used to get this, I usually take a break and do something that's fun just to calm my self down.

ReputationRep:
    Take a break or maybe a nap, use relaxation techniques such as breathing and muscle relaxation and listening to your favourite or soothing music...I find that the latter always helps.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I had mostly the same problem as you. Before I found out I got rejected from Oxford, I was panicking hugely and kept thinking, "If I don't get 3 A grades, it's going to be a disaster". But now I'm a bit happier and I'm thinking more rationally.

Try to think to yourself, "Exactly why am I worrying about my studying?" Then break it down logically and try to question your own thoughts, perhaps by writing them down on a piece of paper. Then maybe screw up the paper and try not to think those anxious thoughts again, and if you can find a good way of removing those negative thoughts, you're off! I often find too that I have to be in a positive mindset to work effectively (which I wasn't in Year 12).

If you're REALLY worried, then it might be worth seeing a cognitive behavioural therapist (depending on you age, you might be able to get sessions with them on the NHS). What they do is that they can help you to 'reframe' your thoughts and prevent negative feeling from affecting your thought and behaviour. I'm going to give it a try soon.

Hope it all goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daya)
    "I found myself beset by so many doubts and errors that I came to think I had gained nothing from my attempts to become educated but increasing recognition of my ignorance."
    -Rene Descartes

We have all felt like that at one time or another. We have expectations of ourselves, often blown up out of proportion, and yes, I've felt like you to where I have not revised and so feel like my time is borrowed and tainted somewhat and that the only way to make things 'right' is to stare at a book even if I am so stressed/tired that it achieves nothing of value or worth and even harms my studying.

You just need to rationalize and look at the situation impartially as possible. You need to teach yourself the logic of taking things in moderation. You know intellectually that studying so much and working yourself up to such a state serves no useful purpose.

This should help to desensitize you to exam stress, and when you feel yourself getting study-fatigue, feeling less guilty from doing other things.

Variety is the spice of life and a successful exam is as much about being in as good a state of mind mentally and physically as knowing your stuff. Knowing everything is pointless if your so stressed out your fumbling during the exam to get it down on paper, let alone in a coherent manner.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.