Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As exams approach ever nearer, and as the stress begins to kick in, i think it's important to remember that what we as a student body are coping with now, university applications, a-levels, degrees, and even GCSE's is nothing compared to what some others are dealing with.

Two days ago i met somebody at a bar (while drinking myself out of exam stress), i didn't know his name, or where he was from, he just started talking to me about his life, his family, and his problems. He was my age, his family lived in Baghdad, his uncle had been kidnapped, as had his cousin.

All of this along with the tragedy in Haiti gave me an epiphany so to speak, it was almost like my perspective suddenly snapped back in to focus, here i was drinking at a bar on my own because i wasn't sure if i would get the grades i wanted at a-level, while there were people in the world who suffered on a day-day basis and just got on with it.

It made me feel selfish, and horribly lucky. So i thought i would make this thread just to help remind others who might feel a bit down at the moment because of stress that it's not the end of the world, if you don't get into university, or you don't get the girl/boy you wanted, or your degree isn't going well. Just remember, life goes on, and there is always hope, something alot of people don't get to feel.

So i know it is a bit of a cliche, but i just wanted to say what i'm thankful for, writing this on TSR might not be the most inspirational, or moving experience, but i felt i needed to write it somewhere. So....

I am thankful for my life, my health, my family and friends health, and the love which i feel everyday.

And i hope, that those people in Haiti know the whole world is thinking about them, and that our hearts are with them.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it takes something totally out of your control to make you look at things in perspective. When my fiancé was in Afghanistan I stopped worrying about little things because it seemed ridiculous when that was going on, and I felt angry when other people moaned about what seemed to be insignificant problems. However, I'm not going to pretend I don't get stressed about money, uni, friends etc now. I just find it much easier to remember how much worse it can be (and was!). It's important to look at the positives in your life as well as the problems.

I am thankful for my wonderful fiancé coming home safely to me, for my friends who would never let me down, and the fact that other than finals and coursework, I don't have any real problems at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    Everything is relative.

If it wasn't, then everyone in the western world would be incredibly happy - but they're not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thankful for having enough baccy to last me until friday (I hope).
    I'm thankful for the pub.
    I'm thankful that I'm going to the pub on friday to drown my sorrows and kick everyone's arse at pool.

I'm thankful for many things, but right now at this current moment, that is all I can think of.

ReputationRep:
    the music, the songs I'm singing.

ReputationRep:
    I am thankful for this house.

I'm thankful for every good thing in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    Everything is relative.

If it wasn't, then everyone in the western world would be incredibly happy - but they're not.
    This. Well worded.

Edit: in your signature - your dog is beautiful. Just thought I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thankful for everything in life - I know that so, so many people have it worse off than me, and I wish that I could help each and every one of them. I'm thankful for my family, my dear friends, the stable and democratic society in which we live, the men and women of all nations who have died in the name of freedom and liberty [in Afghanistan and elsewhere] and living in a region that is free from serious natural disasters. Seeing the images coming out of Haiti has made me re-evaluate my life somewhat - I'm now considering becoming involved in logistics for aid organisations.

ReputationRep:
    Justice, history, and death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    Everything is relative.

When you understand this- imo you understand the whole of life. Basically stop *****ing and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    I am thankful for much. My life, education, friends, my family, and my life so far.
    That and the chance to travel, which I will do more later in life I hope.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.