Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HI IM NEW TO THIS... IM FINDING IT ALMOST NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND UNIS OR COLLEGES THAT OFFER THIS TYPE OF COURSE. IM LOOKING TO GO TO UNI THIS SEPTEMBER 2010 TO STUDY PSYCHOLOGY OR ENGLISH LITERATURE AND HAVEN'T GOT ANY A-LEVELS SO I'VE HEARD THAT THE ACCESS COURSE IS THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT THAT. THE PROBLEM IS IM LOOKING FOR A COURSE THAT LASTS 9 MONTHS OR POSSIBLY LESS SO THAT I WOULD BE ABLE TO STUDY AT DEGREE LEVEL IN SEPTEMBER. I'VE HAD A ROUGH COUPLE OF YEARS AND A-LEVELS JUST WEREN'T FOR ME. MY FRIENDS ARE ALREADY IN UNI AS WELL I DON'T WANT TO BE 2 YEARS BEHIND. I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME!

FROM A DESPERATE GAL!
    /

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but I don't think that this is feasible. Firstly the application process for colleges itself can take a couple of months minimum, I applied to colleges for access courses last year around November and I'm just hearing back from them now. Often you apply, take an assessment, wait for that to be marked, then if you pass are called for an interview, and then after this you may be able to enrol, provided you can pay fees and cross the t's, dot the i's.

Also if you would have wanted to go to uni in September you would have needed to apply via UCAS well by now to give yourself the best chance of getting replies. The problem is you cant really rely on clearing to get you into uni because they don't always have time to consider students with alternative qualifications.

All I can suggest is you have a rethink, maybe consider applying to do an access course that finishes in June next year which would entail you going to uni next year instead.

I'd advise you not to worry so much also, with something like this it is better to take your time and do things properly rather than rush towards an unrealistic goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'eminence gris)
    All I can suggest is you have a rethink, maybe consider applying to do an access course that finishes in June next year which would entail you going to uni next year instead.
    This, pretty much. Why the rush? It's not possible to start one now and begin uni this Sept, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is a course like that City of Sunderland college starting around now. It will be intense and it is if you can travel here. The applications ended the 14th of January but if you are serious and desperate talking to admissons/somebody from the college will not hurt right? What have you got to lose?

http://www.citysun.ac.uk/website/pro...2010_WEB.pdf#8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'eminence gris)
    I'm sorry but I don't think that this is feasible. Firstly the application process for colleges itself can take a couple of months minimum, I applied to colleges for access courses last year around November and I'm just hearing back from them now. Often you apply, take an assessment, wait for that to be marked, then if you pass are called for an interview, and then after this you may be able to enrol, provided you can pay fees and cross the t's, dot the i's.

Also if you would have wanted to go to uni in September you would have needed to apply via UCAS well by now to give yourself the best chance of getting replies. The problem is you cant really rely on clearing to get you into uni because they don't always have time to consider students with alternative qualifications.

I'd advise you not to worry so much also, with something like this it is better to take your time and do things properly rather than rush towards an unrealistic goal.
    I would have thought that if you were really serious about the course they may still consider you... . But I really am getting quite fed up with waiting... I've been doing it for 2 years and I am only finding out now that I am eligible for the courses since I'm 19 now. Thanks a bunch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jiyeon)
    I think there is a course like that City of Sunderland college starting around now. It will be intense and it is if you can travel here. The applications ended the 14th of January but if you are serious and desperate talking to admissons/somebody from the college will not hurt right? What have you got to lose?

http://www.citysun.ac.uk/website/pro...2010_WEB.pdf#8
    Thanks... I know right? That's what I thought... I have nothing to lose. Sunderland is real far though... I'll have a look-sie... Lool... Ta...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderin_angel)
    I would have thought that if you were really serious about the course they may still consider you... . But I really am getting quite fed up with waiting... I've been doing it for 2 years and I am only finding out now that I am eligible for the courses since I'm 19 now. Thanks a bunch.
    See the problem is courses start in september, you miss even around 5-6 weeks and they'll ask you to come back next year. That has happened to 3 people on my current access course. Since the course is carefully structured missing things makes it near impossible to catch up and have the required work completed when you apply for university. My college has a fast track course, which I posted above but I'm not sure if thats any help Don't worry about being 2 years behind, I will be 21 when I start uni assuming that all things go well with my interviews. Honestly though, I would just take the access course come September.

ReputationRep:
    I totally understand how you feel, I dont want to get you down or anything even though my original reply sounds incredibly negative :p: but if I were you I'd get applying for Access courses starting in September. Unfortunately I've had so many headaches with uni and colleges so I'm speaking from experience lol
    Anyway whatever you decide to do these might be helpful; http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/ but maybe you have already been on the site, also ring 0800 100 900 make sure you ask for a learning advisor though, they should be able to search for courses for you and give you advice.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.