Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This involves kinetic theory and gas laws. More specifically to do with temperature conversion in it's whole entirity.

Okay so to convert to Kelvin from Celsius is
    k = C +273 etc

"A tempreture difference of 1K is exactly the same as the difference of 1 degrees Celsius"

Now what does this exactly mean? for a temperature change to occur there needs to be energy put into the molecules, kinetic energy. So the more kinetic energy the more increase in temp. But back to that quotation..... in what terms are they basing that on? energy within a molecule? is there molecules similar in movement? not sure what they mean really. So can someone explain please.

Thanks in advance.

edit - lol, i think it means the energy input is exactly the same and don't confuse the conversion for extra energy needed. Is that the case? i think it is.

ReputationRep:
    It's just explaining the Kelvin temperature scale - it's the same as Celsius, but absolute zero is 0 Kelvin instead of -273 Celsius. It just moves where '0' is.

ReputationRep:
    The DIFFERENCE is the same in Celsius or kelvin

ie 10C to 20C is 10 C difference

283K to 293K is still a 10K difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    It's just explaining the Kelvin temperature scale - it's the same as Celsius, but absolute zero is 0 Kelvin instead of -273 Celsius. It just moves where '0' is.
    Sorry but i don't understand that. Could you explain that again please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teachercol)
    The DIFFERENCE is the same in Celsius or kelvin

ie 10C to 20C is 10 C difference

283K to 293K is still a 10K difference
    Why say that though? wouldn't you know that tbh.... are they trying to say energy is same for both?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    Sorry but i don't understand that. Could you explain that again please?
    They are both temperature scales, the only difference is Kelvin starts at 0 and Celsius starts at -273. Take a look at this:

ReputationRep:
    Why say that though? wouldn't you know that tbh.... are they trying to say energy is same for both?
    Yes, energy is exactly the same for both.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, energy is exactly the same for both.
    Thanks for that mate, i get the scales part but i knew they weren't trying to JUST point that out cause after all it is kinetic theory so it has to involve energy as well. Thanks for your reply mate!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that mate, i get the scales part but i knew they weren't trying to JUST point that out cause after all it is kinetic theory so it has to involve energy as well. Thanks for your reply mate!!!
    Yeah it does involve energy, just not at this stage. The bit you quoted in your first post was simply an introduction to the Kelvin scale, energy stuff relating to it comes later. The calculations are all based on Kelvin, hence the need to understand what it is.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it does involve energy, just not at this stage. The bit you quoted in your first post was simply an introduction to the Kelvin scale, energy stuff relating to it comes later. The calculations are all based on Kelvin, hence the need to understand what it is.
    Cheers mate for that diagram, it helps to picture is visually what they were saying. I was going one step ahead when i don't need to so thanks for explaining that to me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.