Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    has anybody heard anything from nottingham law?
    what offer did you get if you had?
    I just got an offer from durham!!!!! so happy!
    how should i choose between nottingham and durham?
    thanks... loads of questions

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand very few people have had Nottingham offers and I think they've mainly been from overseas candidates - most of us have received a letter from them stating that we should know by the end of February.
    Congratulations on your Durham offer, what college did you apply to?
    Both Nottingham and Durham have excellent Law departments and are considered to be in the top few of the country. However, as a general consensus and in my own view, Durham is perhaps regarded as a better University overall, with a little more prestige added to it. However, I did not apply to Durham and chose Nottingham instead as I preferred the campus and the general feel of the place. So, personally, I think you should visit both Uni's and then make your decision based on which you liked more because which ever University you choose, you will get an excellent Law degree.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why I think this, but I think Durham has a more traditional reputation/prestige factor... could just be because it's got colleges.

Imo, I'd rather go to Nottingham just cos the campus looks so cool. I regret not choosing Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    Choose which city/atmosphere you like the most.

BTW when it's the 21st of January and you haven't left your desk for 20 days you'll not be so excited

Well done though

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your Durham offer!
    You should come and join the Law Applicants / Offers Thread - the grid in the first post will give you details of those (very few) people who have had (usually unconditional) offers from Nottingham :yep: The vast majority of Nottingham applicants haven't heard back yet.
    How should you choose? Definitely go and visit. They have completely different atmospheres. Look at the things you want from university - the social aspect, the accomodation, the cost, the location, the facilities etc and then compare the two. To begin, Nottingham is campus and Durham is collegiate - different styles suit different people. In terms of reputation, I'd say they were pretty evenly matched. I know the league tables show differences between them, but I don't think there is much in it to be honest. If you think about the degree at the end, I'm not under the impression you'd be disadvantaged if you had either degree compared to the other. I would agree that Durham, overall, has a very slightly better reputation as a university, but that shouldn't stop you choosing Nottingham if you have a personal preference for it. You'll do very well at either place!

ReputationRep:
    nottingham is awesome! the campus is amazing, it has a massive active law society which is constantly organising socials, bar crawls, booze cruises etc. there are also a million other socs like bar society, mooting society, pro-bono etc for you to get involved in. it is a lot of work i'm not going to lie, but the lecturers are brilliant and there's a real work hard play hard ethic. also the city is fantastic as well, i would definitely recommend it. when i applied last year it was number 4 in law school league tables & has a really good reputation with employers. i cant speak for durham in terms of a uni, but i live beside it & the cities really small so i imagine you'll be very invested in your degree without much else.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I also apply to both schools, but I would definitely go to Nottingham The campus looks amazing, the city offers great social and night life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loulapops)
    nottingham is awesome! the campus is amazing, it has a massive active law society which is constantly organising socials, bar crawls, booze cruises etc. there are also a million other socs like bar society, mooting society, pro-bono etc for you to get involved in. it is a lot of work i'm not going to lie, but the lecturers are brilliant and there's a real work hard play hard ethic. also the city is fantastic as well, i would definitely recommend it. when i applied last year it was number 4 in law school league tables & has a really good reputation with employers. i cant speak for durham in terms of a uni, but i live beside it & the cities really small so i imagine you'll be very invested in your degree without much else.
    Yes Durham is a small city but speak to any duram student and they will tell you there is more than enough going on, as there has to be in a town where half the population is students.

Back to original post, they are both excellent law schools and you will get a well repsected degree from either. Base your decision on where you think you will be happiest.

ReputationRep:
    Durham is beautiful, its a lovely little place to live and isnt the uni 3rd in the country under oxford and cambridge

ReputationRep:
    It isn't the third uni under Oxbridge - Notts and Durham are held widely to be on par, if anything, Durham would have the advantage, but they are both very respectable and what matters more is that the OP is happy at the one they choose.

I would go to Durham, but that's because I would enjoy the college system, the location is great as it's close to Newcastle and that = girls galore, the buildings are nice, and I generally think the student body is a little more upperclass than Nottingham. Other people might prefer Notts, if they're into music and stuff there's a good indie scene, maybe it's a little less snobbish? IDK.. anyway, make sure you visit both...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jobbsies)
    From what I understand very few people have had Nottingham offers and I think they've mainly been from overseas candidates - most of us have received a letter from them stating that we should know by the end of February.
    Congratulations on your Durham offer, what college did you apply to?
    Both Nottingham and Durham have excellent Law departments and are considered to be in the top few of the country. However, as a general consensus and in my own view, Durham is perhaps regarded as a better University overall, with a little more prestige added to it. However, I did not apply to Durham and chose Nottingham instead as I preferred the campus and the general feel of the place. So, personally, I think you should visit both Uni's and then make your decision based on which you liked more because which ever University you choose, you will get an excellent Law degree.
    I applied to cuth's in durham. after the maths exam, i dont think i am going to meet the AAA offer
    i didnt applied to nottingham, jus a friend of mine did.
    shes an international student and got an AAB offer(based on the fee purpose). this has made me doubt the quality of the law school for giving out offers for money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starstar123)
    I applied to cuth's in durham. after the maths exam, i dont think i am going to meet the AAA offer
    i didnt applied to nottingham, jus a friend of mine did.
    shes an international student and got an AAB offer(based on the fee purpose). this has made me doubt the quality of the law school for giving out offers for money
    What ?I am also applying without a loan!Does this give me an advantage ?Can unis possibly know about thiss ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivan Stanchev)
    What ?I am also applying without a loan!Does this give me an advantage ?Can unis possibly know about thiss ?
    no... i mean international students pay oversea fees which are excessively higher than that of loca/EU students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starstar123)
    no... i mean international students pay oversea fees which are excessively higher than that of loca/EU students.
    I dont mind paying higher fee for a Nottingham offer .******* hell, why on earth was Bulgaria accepted to EU ... haha ;] just kidding

ReputationRep:
    It is 15k per year. You still dont mind?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 24, 2010

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.