Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so an opportunity has arisen, and I need some advice about what I should do about it.
    I'm currently a first year English student at University, and now have the chance to go to America to do the second semester of my second year.
    This is all brilliant, it's exactly what I wanted, BUT it's a lot, a LOT of money - like probably approaching £9,000.
    I would happily work my absolute a*** off to earn the money, but first I want to know what you guys think about it. Is it really worth it? Is studying abroad useful/good/hard/pointless? Especially in the field of English - realistically is it going to increase my employability?

Any help would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *LittleGem*)
    OK, so an opportunity has arisen, and I need some advice about what I should do about it.
    I'm currently a first year English student at University, and now have the chance to go to America to do the second semester of my second year.
    This is all brilliant, it's exactly what I wanted, BUT it's a lot, a LOT of money - like probably approaching £9,000.
    I would happily work my absolute a*** off to earn the money, but first I want to know what you guys think about it. Is it really worth it? Is studying abroad useful/good/hard/pointless? Especially in the field of English - realistically is it going to increase my employability?

Any help would be much appreciated
    Hello,

Firstly, I apoligise that this information is aimed/geared more towards modern foreign languages but that's the field I know best. I'm sure most of it is applicable to you also!

Secondly, there's ways you can raise the money. Working, as you say, is the best way but you can also try for sponsorship, sell things, hold events to raise money, ask for donations.

Thirdly, I have always found working/studying abroad to be hugely beneficial! Employers like that you are travelled, independant, confident and experienced. It takes a lot of guts to travel alone and live in a foregin country for a period of time. It's difficult to begin with and you'll find it challenging but keep your goal in mind and after a while the homesickness passes and you'll have the time of your life!

In terms of English, without disrespecting anyone who takes an English degree, it is quite a common course with the sad misconception that employment that follows will be Journalism or Teaching. Setting yourself apart from the pack by having worked abroad with indefinitely help you in the future, it'll allow you to have something extra on your CV. Also, you never know what connections you'll make whilst out there, you could find a future employer or make valuable friends. Of course, if you don't enjoy it, you can come home but I understand for £9,000 this is a huge decision and you're right to ask for advice!

I hope this helps and if you want any more advice, please ask! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    It is very worth it. I'm waiting to hear if I got through to the interview stages of a full year exchange, and everyone I've spoken to has said any sort of exchange gives you an extra edge after you graduate. Where would you be going? I've been told I'll need £9000 for the full year, so it might not be so bad.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite a lot. What about Canada? It'd be cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    I studied abroad in LA for a year and I absolutely loved it (I actually paid half-price (UK) fees, so I don't know how you'd have to pay £9000!; I'm guessing you're including rent and all other expenses in that? Surely you'd pay that in the UK anyway?)

I had an amazing time and got a lot out of it and it is on my CV, but I don't think that employers really care too much about it. Do it for the experience, not for something to write about on your CV (after all, you could quite easily save the money and just lie on the CV. £9000 to tell one lie seems like a pretty good deal to me!)

The work for me was pretty hard (I went to a very good US uni, though).

I studied chemistry, so I can't help you with English-specific advice.

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it." Go for it.

o—

ReputationRep:
    I have this exact thing to decide about too! I'm doing joint linguistics and media, and i can go to Canada, Australia, America or lots of different places in Europe.

I'd like to go to Canada or America, but because of the money thing, am hopefully gonna go to Europe..think you get like a £600 grant if you go to Europe too from Erasmus.

Am scared/ excited about it already..think it's a great opportunity though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubblesMcGee)
    It is very worth it. I'm waiting to hear if I got through to the interview stages of a full year exchange, and everyone I've spoken to has said any sort of exchange gives you an extra edge after you graduate. Where would you be going? I've been told I'll need £9000 for the full year, so it might not be so bad.
    I'd hopefully be going to the University of Mary Washington, Virginia. I've looked on the website and it looks pretty good!
    I'm going to see if there are any bursaries or financial help for studying abroad from my uni...that might help a bit.

Good luck with your application for the full year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *LittleGem*)
    I'd hopefully be going to the University of Mary Washington, Virginia. I've looked on the website and it looks pretty good!
    I'm going to see if there are any bursaries or financial help for studying abroad from my uni...that might help a bit.

Good luck with your application for the full year!
    Thanks, to you too! Hope your uni can help you out.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.