Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have wondered why some people choose to study in fields that are low paid, have poor job prospects, insecure with large numbers of graduates chasing very few jobs in the field.

Examples are forensics, journalism and performing arts. I think the reason is they want to get into showbiz and be famous.

I suppose subjects like engineering and accountancy are percieved by many as dull and not glamorous even thought its often well paid with decent prospects and job security.

ReputationRep:
    Or its because they have an interest in what they are studying and want to learn more about it.

/thread.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone has the aptitude or interesting in studying a hard science or math based course.

Don't get me wrong, the sciences are important, big respect, I'd study physics if I could but I am not good with numbers so I chose a subject I have some interest in.

So does everyone else. I don't think many people go to uni expecting to walk into a job, this is just unrealistic. But uni is still important, you can network, which can come in handy in the future, you can learn, learn about yourself and so on.

At the least it beats going straight into work, especially since if you have no real qualifications then your buggered. With so many people getting degrees now, having one might not make you stand out but not having one will definitely look out of place for the wrong reasons.

Edit: Also what with the recession, its helping to keep a large chunk of young adults in something that at times feels like, but isn;t officially recognised as unemployment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Or its because they have an interest in what they are studying and want to learn more about it.

/thread.
    This.

I did TV Production because I found it interesting and enjoyable. There is nothing I could want LESS than fame/a showbiz lifestyle. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I have wondered why some people choose to study in fields that are low paid, have poor job prospects, insecure with large numbers of graduates chasing very few jobs in the field.

Examples are forensics, journalism and performing arts. I think the reason is they want to get into showbiz and be famous.

I suppose subjects like engineering and accountancy are percieved by many as dull and not glamorous even thought its often well paid with decent prospects and job security.
    Blood and Gore forensics, yes - probably because most uni applicants thought OMG I WANT TO BE LIKE CSI! There's a skills shortage in Digital Forensics, though. :sexface: It's a rapidly expanding field and people aren't aware of how lucrative it can be.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.