The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DrWhoFTW
im retaking this too.. but my coursework teacher is such a dick he told me some ******** improvements to make and i ended up spending a week improving it to find out that i didn't even get 1 more mark :mad:

So i was wondering is there any point of me doing this exam then? as in if i do the exam and lets say i get 44/60 and i got 42/60 in my coursework i would have 86/120 altogether. And then if i redid my coursework by getting some other teacher to help me and got 48/60 for coursework but in the june exam i only got 20/60. Would the 44 from january get carried over? or is it in just one sitting? Would i have 92/120? or 68/120?

Thank you. Sorry for taking over the thread :P

Whats MPB?

Highest mark is carried over from any sitting.

Also MPB is one of the 5 option modules. MPB refers to Mammalian Physiology and Behaviour
Reply 21
Loz17
Highest mark is carried over from any sitting.

Also MPB is one of the 5 option modules. MPB refers to Mammalian Physiology and Behaviour

Oo thanks, so it is worth me sitting that paper now and then just re-doing the coursework :biggrin:.

Ahh i'm doing application of genetics which is a bitch, leaving that till june =/. Or should i switch to some other option? how are you finding MPB?
DrWhoFTW
Oo thanks, so it is worth me sitting that paper now and then just re-doing the coursework :biggrin:.

Ahh i'm doing application of genetics which is a bitch, leaving that till june =/. Or should i switch to some other option? how are you finding MPB?

I'd give it a go since its tomorrow and see if you can get any better, but you have a good fall back if not.

I'd advise sticking to the one you were taught and trying to get that down. There is a **** load of stuff to learn for MPB. It might be the most synoptic one but there is a load of little details and is just basically rote learning all the way through

Its just as much as a bitch as genetics I'd imagine.
Reply 23
DrWhoFTW
im retaking this too.. but my coursework teacher is such a dick he told me some ******** improvements to make and i ended up spending a week improving it to find out that i didn't even get 1 more mark :mad:

So i was wondering is there any point of me doing this exam then? as in if i do the exam and lets say i get 44/60 and i got 42/60 in my coursework i would have 86/120 altogether. And then if i redid my coursework by getting some other teacher to help me and got 48/60 for coursework but in the june exam i only got 20/60. Would the 44 from january get carried over? or is it in just one sitting? Would i have 92/120? or 68/120?

Thank you. Sorry for taking over the thread :P

Whats MPB?

pretty sure MPB stands for mammalian physiology and behaviour, im doing that tomoz lol.
:smile:
erm, that was quite confusing.. haha. :biggrin:
i thought january was the last time we could sit the legacy bio stuff? :s-smilie: obvs not then...
you can resit modules as many times as you want, and the best mark gets carried forward. but for this module the two parts are kind of separate, for instance, last year i got fifty something in the c/w and shocking grade in unifying so
im carrying forward my c/w mark from last year but resitting unifying.
so basicly, 92/120 for you..lol sory that was long hope that helps x
thisyear!
pretty sure MPB stands for mammalian physiology and behaviour, im doing that tomoz lol.
i thought january was the last time we could sit the legacy bio stuff? :s-smilie: obvs not then...
you can resit modules as many times as you want, and the best mark gets carried forward. but for this module the two parts are kind of separate, for instance, last year i got fifty something in the c/w and shocking grade in unifying so

Hows your revision for MPB going?

Mined going terrible. Been revising for months and I still don't know enough for what I need!
Reply 25
Loz17
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_9825_kd_l_gce_spec.pdf

Page 83 & 84 on the PDF. Thats what you need to know.

You just need to draw all biological knowledge from all aread of the spec from foundation, HH&D, Transport and Central concepts and apply them to specific situations. This is exam is horrible, I know. I was lucky I got an A in my coursework otherwise I'd have done terrible (got literally just on the B boundry for the paper when I did it)

cheers!

I hare it when past papers have images taken out of them due to copyright issues! does anybody know where i can find some that have been properly photocopied online or something?
khaggy
cheers!

I hare it when past papers have images taken out of them due to copyright issues! does anybody know where i can find some that have been properly photocopied online or something?

try www.freeexampapers.com
thisyear!

How did you find it?

I thought it was ok. Some questions were a bit like :wtf: and others I could have written more for but ok well.
Reply 28
do you lot think the grade boundaries will be lower than usual or higher than usual with it being the last year?
It will depend on how people do in the exam overall but I can't imagine there being over a 1,000 candadates for it, thats overestimating.

They will set boundries like they do every other year.
Reply 30
thisyear!

!!!!!!!!!!!!! What?!?!?! You can carry your c/w mark over from last year????? As in the where you have to write your own plan for an experiment?...can you carry over grade that you got in practical as well? Please let me know as mine were good last year and if this is true will go crazy at teachers....the lack of helping me at all with revision has pushed me over the top so far. Please let me know thanks!
Reply 31
Hey, i've found pretty much every past paper up to 08. Google past paper band and use the first link...then you pretty much follow it from there.
How is everyone revising for this? Like i have a generalised knowlege of AS and A2 (nothing too deep) and just doing past papers. But looking at the answers for past papers, they're actually pretty simple. Think the problem last year is that i wrote too much without much info so I'm just going to list my answers! But questions are so hard to understand, especially last years paper...did people find that? And also, how did everyone find practical and coursework? argh so scared about thurs....need a D to get a B overall but scared I've messed up to much on the practical! What percentage is based on practicle and coursework?
AFAIK both are worth 10% of full GCE
Reply 33
Has anybody got unifying concepts exam on thursday? legacy spec x
Reply 34
freshie
Has anybody got unifying concepts exam on thursday? legacy spec x

Yup, i find it terrible. Im just about getting around 35/60 on the papers!
Reply 35
khaggy
Yup, i find it terrible. Im just about getting around 35/60 on the papers!

I think im doing slightly better than that this year, but its my second time of doing it, got 30/60 in june..the papers are really hard though, some of the questions are unpredictable!
I just found this thread, exam tomorrow, for me this is a retake and just need 7 damn more UMS to get an A. I just cant seem to see what to revise, as alot of the questions seem to have a very wishy washy anwser.
JumpingJonny
I just found this thread, exam tomorrow, for me this is a retake and just need 7 damn more UMS to get an A. I just cant seem to see what to revise, as alot of the questions seem to have a very wishy washy anwser.

Theres a link to the spec on the 1st page. Says what you need to know.

Also random question but did you go to the Reading School? (I don't know other ones are in Reading or what road its on, but it was like a boarding school with a massive field, black gates and in a very old looking building)
Loz17
Theres a link to the spec on the 1st page. Says what you need to know.

Also random question but did you go to the Reading School? (I don't know other ones are in Reading or what road its on, but it was like a boarding school with a massive field, black gates and in a very old looking building)

Cheers has a flick through, I know the one you mean "Reading School" and no I went to the crappy state school further down the road :p:
JumpingJonny
Cheers has a flick through, I know the one you mean "Reading School" and no I went to the crappy state school further down the road :p:

Ahh ok. My step auntie and uncle used to teach there and I wondered if you'd ever had him for chemistry :dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending