Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Having trouble with bulking my legs :S watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been going to the gym for about 2 months now. My upper body seems to be coming along fine but my legs are still on the skinny side. (HATE that soo much)..

I have to take protein shakes or Cyclone from Maximuscle as I've got such a high metabolic rate. Literally burns everything I eat into micro dust

How do I sort this out and when will I see results? 4 weeks?

HELP!!! :eek:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squat.

What's your routine like?

ReputationRep:
    SQUAT.

Smack... Your sig... At first I was like, lol, then I was like, wtf? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Some peopel can never get decent legs- especially calves. Calf size is genrally inherited- atleast your potential size is. I've always noticed since i was like 8 that my legs were bigger than everyone else's i played football with, and i am slim, with a very high metabolic rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Squat.

What's your routine like?
    I tend to concentrate on Calves on Mon/Fri & Squats for my thigh's on Tue/Thur... Doesnt help.. I'm so bumped cause I wanna be able to wear shorts in Summer lol.

(Original post by sam188)
    Calf size is genrally inherited- atleast your potential size is. I've always noticed since i was like 8 that my legs were bigger than everyone else's i played football with, and i am slim, with a very high metabolic rate.
    Really? So no matter what I might not be able to get decent sized legs? I don't want to be massive... Just big enough to feel like my height n weight (muscle weight) match evenly really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T DuDe R3B3L)
    I tend to concentrate on Calves on Mon/Fri & Squats for my thigh's on Tue/Thur... Doesnt help.. I'm so bumped cause I wanna be able to wear shorts in Summer lol.

Really? So no matter what I might not be able to get decent sized legs? I don't want to be massive... Just big enough to feel like my height n weight (muscle weight) match evenly really...
    how much do you squat and deadlift?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    how much do you squat and deadlift?

I use the crapy calf machine in my gym and lift 60kg. 4 Sets, 12 reps. (Or I try)

Deadlifts I haven't even begun yet. The squat machine I use I lift one leg at a time which is supposed to be better than doing both. 37.5kg. 4 Sets, 10 reps

I do hear that free weights are better for you and you see a lot more faster? True/False?

ReputationRep:
    I use the crapy calf machine in my gym and lift 60kg. 4 Sets, 12 reps. (Or I try)

Deadlifts I haven't even begun yet. The squat machine I use I lift one leg at a time which is supposed to be better than doing both. 37.5kg. 4 Sets, 10 reps

I do hear that free weights are better for you and you see a lot more faster? True/False?
    Definitely true. Stop using the machines and start squatting. If you're eating right and you squat your quads WILL get bigger, and pretty quickly too.

ReputationRep:
    Some peopel can never get decent legs- especially calves. Calf size is genrally inherited- atleast your potential size is. I've always noticed since i was like 8 that my legs were bigger than everyone else's i played football with, and i am slim, with a very high metabolic rate.
    This guy speaks truth.

I always had larger legs from playing sports/running/skateboarding when I was younger, and going to the gym only accelerated their growth even more. On the flip side, I've seen guys who have been going hard in the gym for months, and their legs are still like swan necks.

ReputationRep:

Your not bulking your legs cos they are your legs, they're not tiny, so you need to be moving a load more weight.

Free weights are better, yes. Why not do ws4sb? or starting strength

ReputationRep:
    i was reading an article, and seeminly people dont see any gains in there overall muscle mass, becuase of there dire legs. By having skiny legs your less likely to be bigger in healthy mass overall.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

We've diagnosed your problem.

Squat!

None of this poofy useless machines. Put the bar on your neck and bend your knees!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamkund)
    I've seen guys who have been going hard in the gym for months, and their legs are still like swan necks.
    LOL... not nice!!!

Ok squats n free weights it is.. I'll give it 4 weeks and I'll see.

ReputationRep:
    What's your diet like?

And why only four weeks?? It's going to take longer than that to see proper results.

ReputationRep:
    LOL... not nice!!!

Ok squats n free weights it is.. I'll give it 4 weeks and I'll see.
    4 weeks? best be squattin 3 times a week then

ReputationRep:
    I have to take protein shakes or Cyclone from Maximuscle as I've got such a high metabolic rate. Literally burns everything I eat into micro dust
    I'm calling BS here - your routine is crap and I'm betting your diet isn't much better.

It isn't a miracle or the dreaded 'ultra high metabolism' that's the reason why your legs aren't gaining strength and/or size.

The squat machine I use I lift one leg at a time which is supposed to be better than doing both. 37.5kg. 4 Sets, 10 reps
    1) You aren't sqatting, deadlifting and/or lunging.

2) You're shifting hardly any weight on the exercises that you do do.

3) It wouldn't surprise me if you weren't doing a full range of motion.

True.

1) Get on a decent routine

2) Sort your diet out

3) Improve your lifts significantly

ReputationRep:

Big guy who squats

ReputationRep:
    I've been going to the gym for about 2 months now. My upper body seems to be coming along fine but my legs are still on the skinny side. (HATE that soo much)..

How do I sort this out and when will I see results? 4 weeks?

HELP!!! :eek:
    SKINNY + MAXIMUSCLE = (****** DIET AND ROUTINE)^2

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish, absolute rubbish, you must fail hard in the gym. Impressive legs can be constructed, just like any other bodypart. In fact, when I see skinny legs its a good sign that one is not performing well enough in the gym. Bad genetics get blamed for alot of things but in reality, they're rarely the problem.

OP, stay away from idiotic comments like this, the problem is most people dont understand that the legs are vastly different to the upper body. The legs are already used to a certain volume of work from supporting your body weight as you stand, walk, climb stairs, etc. Further, the actual composition of muscle fibers is different, having a higher percentage of red slow-twitch fibers that are more suited to endurance than toward short bursts of power like a low-rep set of squats with a heavy weight. What does this mean? The legs can take a lot of work compared to muscle groups like the chest or biceps, and in fact, without an adequate amount of work, you can’t expect to see gains. Say you're doing 10-15 sets at the moment, up it to 20. And the reps need to be a mix of high and low. You can go as low as sets of five reps, and as high as 50 or more. The quads, in particular, seem to really respond to occasional shock treatment workouts of 30 to 40 sets and reps that can go as high as 100.

Its a great philosophy which guys like Platz and Priest would advocate heavily. You also shouldn't worry about overtraining legs. Due to their unique nature, I don’t think it’s even possible to do, at least in one workout. Considering you are giving your legs a full week, or 168 hours to recover, whatever damage you manage to inflict in that workout will be repaired in that amount of time. With all this in mind, here’s a leg workout you can start following immediately. Stay with it just the way I have outlined it, I follow it myself, and I guarantee that your legs will start catching up to your upper body in no time. You may choose to break up quads and hams into two separate sessions if it is convenient, to better allow you to focus on each individually.

Leg extensions
    5 sets of 20, 20, 15, 15, 12 reps

Squats
    6 sets of 20, 20, 15, 15, 12, 8 reps

Leg press
    5 sets of 20, 15, 10, 8, 30 reps

Hack squats
    5 sets of 20, 20, 15, 12, 8 reps

Stiff-leg deadlifts
    6 sets of 20, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 reps

Lying leg curl

Standing leg curl
    6 sets (each leg) 8-12 reps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Rubbish, absolute rubbish, you must fail hard in the gym. Impressive legs can be constructed, just like any other bodypart. In fact, when I see skinny legs its a good sign that one is not performing well enough in the gym. Bad genetics get blamed for alot of things but in reality, they're rarely the problem.

OP, stay away from idiotic comments like this, the problem is most people dont understand that the legs are vastly different to the upper body. The legs are already used to a certain volume of work from supporting your body weight as you stand, walk, climb stairs, etc. Further, the actual composition of muscle fibers is different, having a higher percentage of red slow-twitch fibers that are more suited to endurance than toward short bursts of power like a low-rep set of squats with a heavy weight. What does this mean? The legs can take a lot of work compared to muscle groups like the chest or biceps, and in fact, without an adequate amount of work, you can’t expect to see gains. Say you're doing 10-15 sets at the moment, up it to 20. And the reps need to be a mix of high and low. You can go as low as sets of five reps, and as high as 50 or more. The quads, in particular, seem to really respond to occasional shock treatment workouts of 30 to 40 sets and reps that can go as high as 100.

Its a great philosophy which guys like Platz and Priest would advocate heavily. You also shouldn't worry about overtraining legs. Due to their unique nature, I don’t think it’s even possible to do, at least in one workout. Considering you are giving your legs a full week, or 168 hours to recover, whatever damage you manage to inflict in that workout will be repaired in that amount of time. With all this in mind, here’s a leg workout you can start following immediately. Stay with it just the way I have outlined it, I follow it myself, and I guarantee that your legs will start catching up to your upper body in no time. You may choose to break up quads and hams into two separate sessions if it is convenient, to better allow you to focus on each individually.

Leg extensions
    5 sets of 20, 20, 15, 15, 12 reps

Squats
    6 sets of 20, 20, 15, 15, 12, 8 reps

Leg press
    5 sets of 20, 15, 10, 8, 30 reps

Hack squats
    5 sets of 20, 20, 15, 12, 8 reps

Stiff-leg deadlifts

Lying leg curl

Standing leg curl
    6 sets (each leg) 8-12 reps

So why do you think some body builders have tiny legs lol? You my friend are an idiot for not understanding my point. Why do you think some people have ridiculously tiny legs while othes have ridiculously larger legs? It's all genetics my friend, all genetics.....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.