Turn on thread page Beta

Vegan Protein (without Carbs) watch

ReputationRep:
    I am eating a vegan diet recently (with the odd cheesy chips when I'm drunk...)

Today, for example, I've had a baked potato with beans and soy margarine, and a bowl of cornflakes with soy milk.

This has given me around a third to a half of my calorific intake, about 80% of my carbs and about 20% of my protein! (According to www.dailyburn.com which I would recommend!)

How can I raise my protein intake without raising my carb intake, or should I try and incorporate some tuna into my diet (it will have to be fish, but I'd rather not have anything animal based...)

ReputationRep:
    Eat a varied diet and you'll get plenty of protein.
    Start eating nuts.
    Drink lots of water.
    And that's a third of your kcals?
    How much was in there?
    Are you eating a wide variety of vegetables?

ReputationRep:
    You can buy soy protein powder and things like that.

It's rather disgusting, but it's protein (y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    You can buy soy protein powder and things like that.

It's rather disgusting, but it's protein (y)
    unless she's training there's no need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    unless she's training there's no need.
    Well most vegans I know decide to actually take a little supplementation to stay healthy.

ReputationRep:
    eat tofu

ReputationRep:
    Eat a varied diet and you'll get plenty of protein.
    Start eating nuts.
    Drink lots of water.
    And that's a third of your kcals?
    How much was in there?
    Are you eating a wide variety of vegetables?
    Nuts are a good idea, but they get quite expensive, no? I drink shedloads of water, so that's fine. I'm not eating the full 2000 calories a day, that's why it was a third. And I do usually eat a variety of vegetables, like I'll have spinach with vegetable lasagne for dinner. (which is about 3 of my 5 a day) and I'll have an apple and some juice too, and the beans count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    Well most vegans I know decide to actually take a little supplementation to stay healthy.
    I've never met a vegan who doesn't train that needs to supplement protein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ava_2010)
    eat tofu
    I dooo! I just seem to amass a massive amount of carbs and a lot less protein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    I am eating a vegan diet recently (with the odd cheesy chips when I'm drunk...)

Today, for example, I've had a baked potato with beans and soy margarine, and a bowl of cornflakes with soy milk.

This has given me around a third to a half of my calorific intake, about 80% of my carbs and about 20% of my protein! (According to www.dailyburn.com which I would recommend!)

How can I raise my protein intake without raising my carb intake, or should I try and incorporate some tuna into my diet (it will have to be fish, but I'd rather not have anything animal based...)
    More beans :p:

ReputationRep:
    Nuts are a good idea, but they get quite expensive, no? I drink shedloads of water, so that's fine. I'm not eating the full 2000 calories a day, that's why it was a third. And I do usually eat a variety of vegetables, like I'll have spinach with vegetable lasagne for dinner. (which is about 3 of my 5 a day) and I'll have an apple and some juice too, and the beans count.
    Don't count beans as part of the fruit and veg.
    Up your veg or up your fruit.

Get a big ass pan/pressure cooker
    make a soup with:
    fried onions (fry in the big pan of course).
    Add 1 litre or so of water.
    Add lentils.
    Add 1 handful of beans (optional)
    Add carrots, spinach, broccoli, kale, sweetcorn, peas, potatoes, so on so forth.
    Add herbs in general and a bit of soup.
    Bring to boil and leave to simmer for an hour (stir occasionally) or pressure cook for about 10-15 minutes.
    Use common sense when making.
    Store remains in fridge or freezer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumb Economist)
    More beans :p:
    Beans have (apparently) around 28g of carbohydrate and 10g of protein for half a tin, and I'm aiming for 89-154g of protein and 117g-176g of carbohydrate, so I need something with either MORE protein to balance out the beans or something with EQUAL amounts of carbs and protein for tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Tofu, beans and nuts.
    Nuts are expensive, yup, but so good for protein and yummy too!
    And although beans have a high carb content, you don't have to have anything else with them - for example, I quite often make a three-bean chilli, but I don't have any rice or anything with it, because the beans are enough for the meal.
    But it is disproportionate, can understand why you're finding it hard.

It may be worth investing in some protein powder for now, just to keep your levels up until you find some alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    Don't count beans as part of the fruit and veg.
    Up your veg or up your fruit.

Get a big ass pan/pressure cooker
    make a soup with:
    fried onions (fry in the big pan of course).
    Add 1 litre or so of water.
    Add lentils.
    Add 1 handful of beans (optional)
    Add carrots, spinach, broccoli, kale, sweetcorn, peas, potatoes, so on so forth.
    Add herbs in general and a bit of soup.
    Bring to boil and leave to simmer for an hour (stir occasionally) or pressure cook for about 10-15 minutes.
    Use common sense when making.
    Store remains in fridge or freezer.
    Hmm, I prefer my vegetables to be on the plate, though, like I will happily rather eat a pile of green beans, spinach, mushrooms on their own but I don't really like souping/casseroling ****.

But lentils! That's a good idea, I might make some sort of dahl.

This was just TODAY, like the other day I had scrambled tofu with spinach on a bagel, then vegetable lasagne with green beans, then just mushrooms and tomatoes as snacks, an apple...I do get my vegetables, there usually isn't much else for me to eat!

ReputationRep:
    Beans have (apparently) around 28g of carbohydrate and 10g of protein for half a tin, and I'm aiming for 89-154g of protein and 117g-176g of carbohydrate, so I need something with either MORE protein to balance out the beans or something with EQUAL amounts of carbs and protein for tomorrow.
    How much in KG do you weight?

I highly doubt you need 154 g of protein a day.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I prefer my vegetables to be on the plate, though, like I will happily rather eat a pile of green beans, spinach, mushrooms on their own but I don't really like souping/casseroling ****.

But lentils! That's a good idea, I might make some sort of dahl.

This was just TODAY, like the other day I had scrambled tofu with spinach on a bagel, then vegetable lasagne with green beans, then just mushrooms and tomatoes as snacks, an apple...I do get my vegetables, there usually isn't much else for me to eat!
    Good, vegetables are usually as I'm sure you're aware, low kcal. But they also often contain amino acids.
    Whilst nuts are expensive per gram I don't think they are per kcal.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh - also, I've just found Tesco wholefood soya mince.
    Per 100g, it has 51g protein and only 20g carbs.

ReputationRep:
    How much in KG do you weight?

I highly doubt you need 154 g of protein a day.
    I weigh about 58-60kg. It does seem high, but I'd really just like to be able to get up to 70 or 80g (the lower limits of the range dailyburn has given me) without massively overeating on carbohydrates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    Oooh - also, I've just found Tesco wholefood soya mince.
    Per 100g, it has 51g protein and only 20g carbs.
    How weird, I was just about to say something about supermarket own brand mycoprotein not having the egg white found in actual Quorn!

Thanks for the info, though, I might have just mince and vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    I weigh about 58-60kg. It does seem high, but I'd really just like to be able to get up to 70 or 80g (the lower limits of the range dailyburn has given me) without massively overeating on carbohydrates.
    To be frank 60kg should be fine a day.
    up to 120 I don't see much of a problem, but over that? that's over 2kg a day, if you're not training then what's the point?
    If you are training your kcals will have to go above 2K a day anyway, so I can't see it being a problem.
    I weight the same as you, although I'm guessing as a guy I'd need to eat maybe a bit more protein per kg of body weight a day? That's speculation though.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.