Turn on thread page Beta

Have you experienced Town & Gown violence or abuse? watch

ReputationRep:
    That is, violence or abuse or mistreatment by local residents and even government employees simply because you are a student?

The last time it happened to me - I was unprovokedly assaulted by a local who broke my door in and pushed me up against my wall. When the police came they took a note, but did nothing and my friend heard them note after "He was clearly just being a cocky student. Serves him right".

I've also had a few people walking onto our campus and playing the "You have my friend's lighter" game.

A couple of friends of mine got dragged out of a club queue on a student night, and beaten up en masse last term, as well.

Has it happened to you?

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    err no!

What's the "You have my friend's lighter" game. Is it fun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    "He was clearly just being a cocky student. Serves him right".
    were you? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    When we went marching in protest against student debt through the centre of Leicester, we were verbally abused by loads of people - old ladies through to skinheads and chavs. It was ridiculous. For a city that prides itself on tolerance, and which completely relies on the huge income from the student population [more than 1 in 10 people in Leicester is a university student during term time], some elements of Leicester's population hate us. One person who looked like he voted for the BNP swore at us and told us to "stop drinking and then you might have some ******' money to pay your debts!", a gang of chavvy muvvas wiv babbies told us to "go **** ourselves for stealing benefits from those who needed them".

You know what I think of those people? **** 'em.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but protesters are kinda asking for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    yeah but protesters are kinda asking for it
    We may be asking for it - doesn't mean we deserve it, especially when the people abusing us are generally degenerates or scroungers, peppered with a few exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonbeatific)
    were you?
    Nope. We were having a small party (<20 people), it was 1am on a friday night. He came around and told me to keep it down or he'd knock me out. I asked him to stop being so aggressive, and that if he had a problem with the noise (it was very very quiet) that he should call the police. Then he walked away going "******* students", I closed the door saying "jesus christ what was that", and he broke the door in.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah , at Aberdeen Uni, I was in old aberdeen, and a very dodgy looking lad who looked like he hadnt washed ever, put his face into mine for 'staring at him' and he wanted me to come round the back of one of the buildings . I told him I wasn't Gay and managed to get away from him.

Some serious **** went on at hillhead, too, from what someone told me. People would just get onto the site and cause trouble. And it wasn't students most of the time. Hillhead was a ******* depressing place, someone went mad up there and started shooting pigeons apparently naked.

ReputationRep:
    No but I have heard the "you got the time lad?" game where if you have a different accent once you have spoken to them they **** you. Best not saying anything or saying no if the situation looks dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    When we went marching in protest against student debt through the centre of Leicester, we were verbally abused by loads of people - old ladies through to skinheads and chavs. It was ridiculous. For a city that prides itself on tolerance, and which completely relies on the huge income from the student population [more than 1 in 10 people in Leicester is a university student during term time], some elements of Leicester's population hate us. One person who looked like he voted for the BNP swore at us and told us to "stop drinking and then you might have some ******' money to pay your debts!", a gang of chavvy muvvas wiv babbies told us to "go **** ourselves for stealing benefits from those who needed them".

You know what I think of those people? **** 'em.
    Generally jealous people.

Old ladies though? :wtf:

Oh, myself... I got some odd looks at the local train station, and some people walked up behind me and said something about "you can tell he's a ******* student" something about my appearance, etc.
    Because most proles don't get to go to uni, they hate students as a defence mechanism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    Nope. We were having a small party (<20 people), it was 1am on a friday night. He came around and told me to keep it down or he'd knock me out. I asked him to stop being so aggressive, and that if he had a problem with the noise (it was very very quiet) that he should call the police. Then he walked away going "******* students", I closed the door saying "jesus christ what was that", and he broke the door in.

Should have kept the noise down shouldn't you. Quiet according to a boozed up student.... I know someone who kicked someones door in and trashed their neighbours sound system and battered his wife.Got sent down for it losing his job and she wasn't in a good way . .He lost his head basically as the noise had been going on for months. You would be very surprised how many neighbour disputes over minor things end in violence. Living next door to someone who has a problem with you is not a barrel of laughs,they know where you live and where your car is at the end of the day. Thats why it's best not to aggravate neighbours.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly in relation to an accident. Though that was probably more to do with the fact I was young then me being a student. Was sorted though so meh.

Maybe I don't look like a student :dontknow: or could be london.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time OP.

I had heard that town gown relations could be bad at some of the universities I looked at but I've not experienced any problems here. Students make up quite a substantial chunk of the population - with Lancaster and a Cumbria campus here. Students = business and business is usually a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a black cab in Leeds and driver asked me if I was a student, I said no simply because some cabbies think they can rip you off for it if you're a student not in your home city. And he started going off on this tirade peppered with curse words about how all students are cowards, jobless scroungers, and thieves. How they get too much money from the government, how they put people out of work by being more qualified, and the two reasons for Britain no longer being Great was because we let the immigrants in and because of the students.

Very peculiar man.

Never experienced any physical abuse from people though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    We may be asking for it - doesn't mean we deserve it, especially when the people abusing us are generally degenerates or scroungers, peppered with a few exceptions.
    Dude, i agree!!!!!! HA chavs! How funny !

ReputationRep:
    What?? These things actually happen? I thought people were more tolerant than that... What's supposed to be so bad about students anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    I was in a black cab in Leeds and driver asked me if I was a student, I said no simply because some cabbies think they can rip you off for it if you're a student not in your home city. And he started going off on this tirade peppered with curse words about how all students are cowards, jobless scroungers, and thieves. And the two reasons for Britain no longer being Great was because we let the immigrants in and because of the students.

Very peculiar man.
    Easy to say that when you're in a dead-end job :dontknow: I would have said I was a student after paying the fare :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Easy to say that when you're in a dead-end job :dontknow: I would have said I was a student after paying the fare :teehee:
    Oh burn :teehee:

That would actually be entered into the Offical Book of Legendary Acts.

ReputationRep:
    This happened in York? Jesus.

To be fair, noise into the night is VERY annoying.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.