Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Have you experienced Town & Gown violence or abuse? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    What?? These things actually happen? I thought people were more tolerant than that... What's supposed to be so bad about students anyway?
    • Constantly drunk
    • Urinate on war memorials
    • Scrounge money off the tax payer
    • Play loud music at stupid times in the morning
    • Leave places looking like **** tips
    • Scream, shout, and sing whilst walking down the street at 2am
    • Complain about things to much
    • Don't wash
    • etc
    • etc
    • list goes on

Just a few of the things that pop into my head from reading various newspaper articles and chatting to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Easy to say that when you're in a dead-end job :dontknow: I would have said I was a student after paying the fare :teehee:
    I should have done that now thinking about it, but judging from how angry the man seemed he'd have probably smacked the car into reverse and chased after me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    • Constantly drunk
    • Don't wash
    • etc
    • etc
    • list goes on

Just a few of the things that pop into my head from reading various newspaper articles and chatting to people.
    Typical ******* students :rant:

ReputationRep:
    Wtf is town & gown violence?

ReputationRep:
    • Constantly drunk So are alcoholics...most of them anyway
    • Urinate on war memorials That was ONCE!
    • Scrounge money off the tax payer Umm...benefit fraudsters? We pay the money back after all...
    • Scream, shout, and sing whilst walking down the street at 2am But so do chavs
    • Complain about things to much :rofl: the irony...
    • Don't wash A lot of people who aren't students don't wash either... I was sat on the train the other day behind a pair of chavs who stank to high bloody heaven!
    • etc
    • etc
    • list goes on

Did you give these answers?? :hmmm: they probably would've shut up...or maybe not but still.

ReputationRep:
    • Constantly drunk
    • Don't wash
    • etc
    • etc
    • list goes on

I know those aren't your opinions, but all of those can be attributed to people who aren't students, perhaps moreso. Scrounging money off of the taxpayer, for example . . . we actually pay government investment back on a huge scale in taxes.

We studied these attitudes briefly in human geography - part of resentment towards students might be in how we change the social makeup of the areas around universities - houses get bought up and spruced up for students, then sold on, being left empty for about 1/3rd of the year and raising house prices for locals, whilst also introducing a transitory community into a fixed one. Frankly I find resentment stemming from that to be a little narrow-minded, but hey - it happens apparently.

ReputationRep:
    There wasn't much violence or abuse at my uni, but there was a fair bit of anti-student feeling, people saying that the university didn't do the area any good and that our Grade 1 listed main building should be ripped down. I'm fairly sure it's been around longer than most of the locals, why would you move there and complain about things that have been there for over a century?! And it's not like the students bring any money into the area, or get jobs in the area or anything like that :rolleyes:
    Granted students can be a pain in the arse, but surely there is some sort of compromise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Wtf is town & gown violence?
    Stems from the violence between Oxford academics in gowns and the townspeople - the same violence that caused the migration of some academics to Cambridge.

That's what I heard, anyway.

ReputationRep:

What do you expect? He went to Hallam! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    Did you give these answers?? :hmmm: they probably would've shut up...or maybe not but still.
    If you give those answers the Daily Mail readers on the website just red arrow you and tell you to get a job though. Give it a try sometime :p:

Common sense doesn't work with people that hate anything and everything for completely irrational reasons. Even when chatting to people in the pub it eventually boils to stealing their jobs :yes:

ReputationRep:
    The beauty of being a student that people can have these opinions of me and I couldn't care less. I'm not loud, constantly drunk and I've never pissed on any war memorials - if people (who don't know me) want to think that behind my back then what do I care? As long as I don't get beaten up or anything for it that's fine. I don't know any students who have been though tbh.

Yeah, the government give me money, but they've also taken 40p of every pound my dad's earnt for the last 20 years and they've invested it in *some* complete crap, so as far as I'm concerned I'm just using the money that was taken off my dad over the years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    I know those aren't your opinions, but all of those can be attributed to people who aren't students, perhaps moreso. Scrounging money off of the taxpayer, for example . . . we actually pay government investment back on a huge scale in taxes.

We studied these attitudes briefly in human geography - part of resentment towards students might be in how we change the social makeup of the areas around universities - houses get bought up and spruced up for students, then sold on, being left empty for about 1/3rd of the year and raising house prices for locals, whilst also introducing a transitory community into a fixed one. Frankly I find resentment stemming from that to be a little narrow-minded, but hey - it happens apparently.
    I'm afraid rational logic doesn't work against people who are just going to scream get a job or have a wash repeatedly at you into your face, and then when you do reveal that you do have a job they accuse you of stealing it from them.

ReputationRep:
    In Stoke no even knows there is a university here, I can gurantee half the population don't even know there is a uni here. I've never seen any studenty ppl either. Can anybody tell me where the students actually live in Stoke/Stafford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Should have kept the noise down shouldn't you. Quiet according to a boozed up student.... I know someone who kicked someones door in and trashed their neighbours sound system and battered his wife.Got sent down for it losing his job and she wasn't in a good way . .He lost his head basically as the noise had been going on for months. You would be very surprised how many neighbour disputes over minor things end in violence. Living next door to someone who has a problem with you is not a barrel of laughs,they know where you live and where your car is at the end of the day. Thats why it's best not to aggravate neighbours.
    Sigh. Please don't jump to assumptions.

This was the first party we'd had since we moved in, four months before this. I live with three very quiet girls. We've never had any mention before or after this. It was only 1am, and it was on a friday night. We even told his wife that we'd be having a party and that we'd keep the noise down.

Furthermore, the music was so quiet that it was hard to hear it over the noise of people speaking at the party. It was a christmas mulled wine + mince pies + chillout party, not a rave.

Oh, and his wife punched one of my guests in the face.

ReputationRep:
    I've had several heated arguments with people locally and i've also been involved in a mass brawl at a youth football match not long ago now, was propa mental that day.

Some nut a couple of months ago tried to jack my phone whilst i was talking, i ran after him and rugby tackled him to the ground. I got my phone back and i scared him off, the ******. I never back down in arguments or fights plus i'm quite athletic, so that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    When we went marching in protest against student debt through the centre of Leicester, we were verbally abused by loads of people - old ladies through to skinheads and chavs. It was ridiculous. For a city that prides itself on tolerance, and which completely relies on the huge income from the student population [more than 1 in 10 people in Leicester is a university student during term time], some elements of Leicester's population hate us. One person who looked like he voted for the BNP swore at us and told us to "stop drinking and then you might have some ******' money to pay your debts!", a gang of chavvy muvvas wiv babbies told us to "go **** ourselves for stealing benefits from those who needed them".

You know what I think of those people? **** 'em.
    I would have told the chavs to go and get a ******* job

ReputationRep:
    The closest to any violence with locals ive gotten is when me and my mate stopped a group of chavs from beating up some posh kid

ReputationRep:
    Interesting concept. I've never come across it myself, other than a strong suspicion that landlords feel that way and thats why they leave their houses in such bad condition and avoid all calls

ReputationRep:
    I've been close. On Halloween, me and my friends were out and one of them was being sick next to a wall on the street. Some middle aged guys walked by and said something like "gotta love Americans, they can't hold their alcohol and they're puking all over our streets!"

Our South African friend Freddy then responded to them saying "hey, can't you see she's sick? Why don't you leave her alone?" The guy was then like "really, you want to start something?" And Freddy just said "no, just walk off" and flipped him off. The guy then did the whole "hold me back guys, hold me back!" (not out loud of course) thing while his friends kept him from charging at us. We then saw them go down some alleyway and occasionally would pop out to look, apparently waiting for us to walk by alone (there were cops back where we were originally).

So we went the other way and took a cab.

Quite pathetic of a bunch of big middle aged guys to be picking a fight with a a group of kids made up mostly of girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    Sigh. Please don't jump to assumptions.

This was the first party we'd had since we moved in, four months before this. I live with three very quiet girls. We've never had any mention before or after this. It was only 1am, and it was on a friday night. We even told his wife that we'd be having a party and that we'd keep the noise down.

Furthermore, the music was so quiet that it was hard to hear it over the noise of people speaking at the party. It was a christmas mulled wine + mince pies + chillout party, not a rave.

Oh, and his wife punched one of my guests in the face.

Only 1AM .. can't you see anything wrong with that statement?Do they have kids? To us 1AM isn't all that late, to people who aren't young or students etc, 1AM is pretty late. I believe 11pm or thereabouts is when environmental health start door knocking.

By the sounds of it, it wasn't the music if according to you it was being drowned out by the people there. How loud were they? And your comment 'call the police' can be taken several ways mate,were you showing off a bit? Not excusing, him kicking your door in or his wife assaulting your guests but with neighbour disputes most often, it is 50/50.

Also while it is polite to let a neighbour know you are having a party it doesn't give you licence to think you have done your bit as they can't stop you having it can they? so if someone knocks on your door and asks you to quieten down, you have to be sensitive to that.

Of course they could be violent unreasonable chavs who have a problem but ,just try to see it from the Police's point of view.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.