Turn on thread page Beta

Have you experienced Town & Gown violence or abuse? watch

ReputationRep:
    Christ almighty how awful. And yo
    My friend had a similar thing in a pub in a village near plymouth. She got into a bit of an argument with the bartender who thought her passport picture didn't look like her and then when she produced a bunch of other id he said he didn't want argumentative students in his pub anyway and refused to serve us. Apparently students go there after surfing and scare away the locals so groups of young people get chucked out alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Only 1AM .. can't you see anything wrong with that statement?Do they have kids? To us 1AM isn't all that late, to people who aren't young or students etc, 1AM is pretty late. I believe 11pm or thereabouts is when environmental health start door knocking.

By the sounds of it, it wasn't the music if according to you it was being drowned out by the people there. How loud were they? And your comment 'call the police' can be taken several ways mate,were you showing off a bit? Not excusing, him kicking your door in or his wife assaulting your guests but with neighbour disputes most often, it is 50/50.

Also while it is polite to let a neighbour know you are having a party it doesn't give you licence to think you have done your bit as they can't stop you having it can they? so if someone knocks on your door and asks you to quieten down, you have to be sensitive to that.

Of course they could be violent unreasonable chavs who have a problem but ,just try to see it from the Police's point of view.
    To professionals 1am isn't that late. Still, it's a friday, not a week day. There were about eighteen people there talking. Nobody shouting, no louder than a big dinner party. How is asking him to call the police if he has a noise complaint showing off?

He didn't knock and ask us to be quiet, he once shouted over the back yard threatening physically two girls who were having a cigarrette, then twenty minutes later held the door bell down for three minutes straight then assaulted me after I'd apologised, but firmy asked him not to be so aggressive with me.

Environmental health don't get even their noses wet unless it's a long-term chronic problem past like 2am. Certainly not 11pm.

(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    a gang of chavvy muvvas wiv babbies told us to "go **** ourselves for stealing benefits from those who needed them".
    :rofl:

HIlarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    • Constantly drunk
    • Urinate on war memorials
    • Scrounge money off the tax payer
    • Play loud music at stupid times in the morning
    • Leave places looking like **** tips
    • Scream, shout, and sing whilst walking down the street at 2am
    • Complain about things to much
    • Don't wash
    • etc
    • etc
    • list goes on

Just a few of the things that pop into my head from reading various newspaper articles and chatting to people.
    All of those, with the exception of the scrounging, are applicable as a stereotype to all youngish people, which is what makes hating students alone a bit silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    That is, violence or abuse or mistreatment by local residents and even government employees simply because you are a student?

The last time it happened to me - I was unprovokedly assaulted by a local who broke my door in and pushed me up against my wall. When the police came they took a note, but did nothing and my friend heard them note after "He was clearly just being a cocky student. Serves him right".

I've also had a few people walking onto our campus and playing the "You have my friend's lighter" game.

A couple of friends of mine got dragged out of a club queue on a student night, and beaten up en masse last term, as well.

Has it happened to you?
    Why the hell did you leave sunny California for dreary, depressing York?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, just once as soon as me and my friend got in the taxi the driver went off on one about how he can't read and he's never even seen a degree and wouldn't know what one looks like, etc. Trying to guilt us into tipping more at the end I think. But that's not violence or abuse, just the closest anyone's ever come to talking about me as a student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SafeYeh)
    In Stoke no even knows there is a university here, I can gurantee half the population don't even know there is a uni here. I've never seen any studenty ppl either. Can anybody tell me where the students actually live in Stoke/Stafford?
    I live at home, but most of the students seem to live in random places in Shelton (near Staffordshire university) and Newcastle :yes: Alot of 2nd year Keelites live in Stoke too.

Shelton is practically a student & immigrant slum.

Stoke station is right next to Staffordshire university and you've just got to love the football hooligans who take the train every odd Saturday. They don't seem to like students much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    yeah but protesters are kinda asking for it
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Is it bad in Cambridge? I definitely got the feeling there's a big gap between students and locals there.

My favourite indicator of this was when I was making small talk with the College Porter. I said something like "the town looks like almost every other building is a uni building of some kind", and his reply was; "Oh yes. The city only really exists to serve the university". Made me giggle a bit.

Also in my home town (Chichester), you don't even notice students around. I think the locals probably don't even consider there's are university nearby.

ReputationRep:
    not really. other than our neighbours. we were going to have a party and when we went round to tell them, they told us that they were going to send their sons around with baseball bats to smash all of our windows in. oh, and that they were going to call the police. brilliant idea, threatening violence and THEN getting the police involved.

she also told us that the noise would kill her husband, and that she'd get us prosecuted for it. because a bbq that the people living here before us had which "went on until one-a-claachk" gave him a stroke. her husband came round on the night of the party, chain-smoking and shouting 'FOOKIN STUDENTS'. clearly on the brink of his death.

They did call the police, but obviously they didn't come round. You live in a student area, neighbours!

I get the impression we're not really very well liked by mancs, but I don't really ever mix with locals (not out of snobbishness, just our of student-bubbleness).

ReputationRep:
    in Coventry, the women with half their teeth missing , a fag in their mouth, and 5inch hair roots and 4 kids just look at you as if youre scum, while queueing outside the CAB or the betting shop.
    Yesterday one such woman anounced infront of me "I'm going the fakking pub!" at 8:30 in the morning, kids in tow.

ReputationRep:
    That kind of thing happened all the time when I was in Bath, but I've never been aware of any trouble in Nottingham. I guess it depends where you go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Students take up all the space in my street with their cars. *******s.

They have their ****** parties all the time. My dad had to have some words.

OP, you sound like a bit of a **** really. You could've easily said "yeah, sorry, we'll keep it down". Regardless of what day it is, you need to consider people who live nearby.

The Police don't even deal with noise complaints anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    not really. other than our neighbours. we were going to have a party and when we went round to tell them, they told us that they were going to send their sons around with baseball bats to smash all of our windows in. oh, and that they were going to call the police. brilliant idea, threatening violence and THEN getting the police involved.

she also told us that the noise would kill her husband, and that she'd get us prosecuted for it. because a bbq that the people living here before us had which "went on until one-a-claachk" gave him a stroke. her husband came round on the night of the party, chain-smoking and shouting 'FOOKIN STUDENTS'. clearly on the brink of his death.

They did call the police, but obviously they didn't come round. You live in a student area, neighbours!

I get the impression we're not really very well liked by mancs, but I don't really ever mix with locals (not out of snobbishness, just our of student-bubbleness).
    Oh, how I love the irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ywiss)
    Oh, how I love the irony.
    I hate the manc accent because I'm scouse, not because I'm a snob.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I hate the manc accent because I'm scouse, not because I'm a snob.
    Ohhh, of course, because you're scouse. That's completely logical. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Yeah , at Aberdeen Uni, I was in old aberdeen, and a very dodgy looking lad who looked like he hadnt washed ever, put his face into mine for 'staring at him' and he wanted me to come round the back of one of the buildings . I told him I wasn't Gay and managed to get away from him.

Some serious **** went on at hillhead, too, from what someone told me. People would just get onto the site and cause trouble. And it wasn't students most of the time. Hillhead was a ******* depressing place, someone went mad up there and started shooting pigeons apparently naked.
    apologies because im sure its not a fun place to be but the mental image of a naked man shooting pigeons made me laugh :|

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I ever associated with any locals during my time at uni, so I never got any abuse from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ywiss)
    Ohhh, of course, because you're scouse. That's completely logical. :rolleyes:
    Mancs hate the scouse, and the scouse hate mancs - it's sort of a local rivalry thing. I'm obliged to take the piss out of their accent.

It's not some massive statement, tbh, there's no need to be sarky about it at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.