Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    in cambridge the gowns part is literal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    To professionals 1am isn't that late. Still, it's a friday, not a week day. There were about eighteen people there talking. Nobody shouting, no louder than a big dinner party. How is asking him to call the police if he has a noise complaint showing off?

He didn't knock and ask us to be quiet, he once shouted over the back yard threatening physically two girls who were having a cigarrette, then twenty minutes later held the door bell down for three minutes straight then assaulted me after I'd apologised, but firmy asked him not to be so aggressive with me.

Environmental health don't get even their noses wet unless it's a long-term chronic problem past like 2am. Certainly not 11pm.

Actually the bylaws regarding noise for most local councils is 11-11.30 pm when they are more strict about what is acceptable , depends on your council obviously, but they do have noise reduction teams and enforcement officers from the environmental health department if an arrangement has been made with the county police to make noise a local authority matter.

My local council does this, as calls to the Police get referred to them,so the Police can deal with more important things.How effective it is I don't know. Now you are saying, the party spilled out into the back yard. ,you would be surprised how far their voices carry over.

And I think you are being deliberately thick when you say, you don't know how telling an already urined off , perhaps unreasonable man to 'call the Police' could be seen as showing off....Rather than apologising and telling your guests to be quiet and telling the girls to put their cigs out and come in.

There is no excuse for his violence but it seems to me, if it was as you said and there were two assaults by both him and his wife at least one arrest would have been made to keep the peace. Yet the Police didn't arrest either him or his wife, so he obviously was not as unhinged as your impression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    I've been close. On Halloween, me and my friends were out and one of them was being sick next to a wall on the street. Some middle aged guys walked by and said something like "gotta love Americans, they can't hold their alcohol and they're puking all over our streets!"

Our South African friend Freddy then responded to them saying "hey, can't you see she's sick? Why don't you leave her alone?" The guy was then like "really, you want to start something?" And Freddy just said "no, just walk off" and flipped him off. The guy then did the whole "hold me back guys, hold me back!" (not out loud of course) thing while his friends kept him from charging at us. We then saw them go down some alleyway and occasionally would pop out to look, apparently waiting for us to walk by alone (there were cops back where we were originally).

So we went the other way and took a cab.

Quite pathetic of a bunch of big middle aged guys to be picking a fight with a a group of kids made up mostly of girls.
    If you drink too much and start throwing up then expect a bit of abuse from middle aged people who are tired of kids puking over their streets, walls, and doors. Freddy should have stfu.

ReputationRep:
    Never had any problems.

That said were I a local living in town the noise could be hellishly annoying at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    If you drink too much and start throwing up then expect a bit of abuse from middle aged people who are tired of kids puking over their streets, walls, and doors. Freddy should have stfu.
    This wasn't "on the streets," it was in the district that's 100% made up of clubs. Every single person in the vicinity had been drinking, including those guys who had just emerged from a club themselves.

And it was Halloween. Freddy shouldn't STFU when a couple of jerks are giving a sick girl a hard time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That is, violence or abuse or mistreatment by local residents and even government employees simply because you are a student?

The last time it happened to me - I was unprovokedly assaulted by a local who broke my door in and pushed me up against my wall. When the police came they took a note, but did nothing and my friend heard them note after "He was clearly just being a cocky student. Serves him right".
    Whilst I think your neighbours are definitely in the wrong, I do think a lot of student types who live in mostly residential areas amongst working people don't fully understand that not everyone wants to hear parties all night long.

Maybe it would be better to live in a largely student area, like halls or close to the uni. I've never heard of any anti student violence in the studenty parts of the city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Actually the bylaws regarding noise for most local councils is 11-11.30 pm when they are more strict about what is acceptable , depends on your council obviously, but they do have noise reduction teams and enforcement officers from the environmental health department if an arrangement has been made with the county police to make noise a local authority matter.

My local council does this, as calls to the Police get referred to them,so the Police can deal with more important things.How effective it is I don't know. Now you are saying, the party spilled out into the back yard. ,you would be surprised how far their voices carry over.

And I think you are being deliberately thick when you say, you don't know how telling an already urined off , perhaps unreasonable man to 'call the Police' could be seen as showing off....Rather than apologising and telling your guests to be quiet and telling the girls to put their cigs out and come in.

There is no excuse for his violence but it seems to me, if it was as you said and there were two assaults by both him and his wife at least one arrest would have been made to keep the peace. Yet the Police didn't arrest either him or his wife, so he obviously was not as unhinged as your impression.
    I was quite happy to deal with a noise prevention officer. I didn't say the party spilled over into the back yard. I said that two girls were having a quiet conversation in the back garden, and everyone else was inside. This was at about 11pm, when he threatened them. That was the last time anyone was outside.

I said I don't know how that was showing off, and you didn't explain how or why. All you did is tell me I'm being stupid. I DID apologise, but I also asked him to stop being aggressive (he was standing halfway inside my door and virtually spitting on me in anger).Why is it showing off to ask him to call the police if he thinks we're being too loud? It's what I would do. I wouldn't try and start a fight with a random person unless I was drunk (which he likely was).

I'm sorry, he was just a nasty weasly man with a bone to pick because we were students. We weren't being aggressive. When he came to the door he said "You sh-ts are mean to be so f-ing clever but you aren't are you cos I'm gonna knock you out if you don't do what I say". He attacked me, then the police sided with him because they were locals. Like they've done in this area repeated times, when my friends have been beaten up, robbed, and abused.

ReputationRep:
    Never experienced it.

ReputationRep:
    This wasn't "on the streets," it was in the district that's 100% made up of clubs. Every single person in the vicinity had been drinking, including those guys who had just emerged from a club themselves.

And it was Halloween. Freddy shouldn't STFU when a couple of jerks are giving a sick girl a hard time.
    It was her own fault she was sick. I have no sympathy for people who drink to much and then spew or act like a complete idiot and expect you to feel sorry for them. Just because she was sick in an area where there were clubs and other people were drinking, and that it was on Hallowe'en, does not mean its acceptable to be vomming in public and making the street disgusting. I would be pissed of if I saw someone doing that in my town. And what they said was hardly nasty, it doesn't even sound like it was said to her. Freddy should have stfu, he provoked them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    It was her own fault she was sick. I have no sympathy for people who drink to much and then spew or act like a complete idiot and expect you to feel sorry for them. Just because she was sick in an area where there were clubs and other people were drinking, and that it was on Hallowe'en, does not mean its acceptable to be vomming in public and making the street disgusting. I would be pissed of if I saw someone doing that in my town. And what they said was hardly nasty, it doesn't even sound like it was said to her. Freddy should have stfu, he provoked them.
    First off, you don't know the story about how she was basically being force-fed alcohol all night by a guy who was trying to take advantage of her while she was trying to get away from him. So no, it wasn't her own fault she was sick.

And what they said initially wasn't necessarily "nasty," but the fact that they tried to start a fight over us telling them to leave her alone is, and it's pretty ridiculous that you would take their side on that. These guys were out looking for a fight, I don't think you understand that. Even if it was her own fault for being sick, that doesn't justify trying to fight with us.

ReputationRep:
    http://lcjb.cjsonline.gov.uk/Cambridgeshire/1711.html

Interesting. Town and gown violence isn't a new thing,

ReputationRep:
    I was quite happy to deal with a noise prevention officer. I didn't say the party spilled over into the back yard. I said that two girls were having a quiet conversation in the back garden, and everyone else was inside. This was at about 11pm, when he threatened them. That was the last time anyone was outside.

I said I don't know how that was showing off, and you didn't explain how or why. All you did is tell me I'm being stupid. I DID apologise, but I also asked him to stop being aggressive (he was standing halfway inside my door and virtually spitting on me in anger).Why is it showing off to ask him to call the police if he thinks we're being too loud? It's what I would do. I wouldn't try and start a fight with a random person unless I was drunk (which he likely was).

I'm sorry, he was just a nasty weasly man with a bone to pick because we were students. We weren't being aggressive. When he came to the door he said "You sh-ts are mean to be so f-ing clever but you aren't are you cos I'm gonna knock you out if you don't do what I say". He attacked me, then the police sided with him because they were locals. Like they've done in this area repeated times, when my friends have been beaten up, robbed, and abused.
    Holy ****.. I didnt expect York to be that bad.....
    this is another factor that is making me worried about startin in october....

ReputationRep:
    The simple fact is that, reflecting society in general, a lot of students are just *******. This annoys people. Even as someone who is going to become one in the autumn, i can freely say that students get on my tits a lot of the time. Of course some of the scenarios described above are extreme examples though. I'd like to see any smart-arses try any of that ***** with me when im a student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    a gang of chavvy muvvas wiv babbies told us to "go **** ourselves for stealing benefits from those who needed them".
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    I was in a black cab in Leeds and driver asked me if I was a student, I said no simply because some cabbies think they can rip you off for it if you're a student not in your home city. And he started going off on this tirade peppered with curse words about how all students are cowards, jobless scroungers, and thieves. How they get too much money from the government, how they put people out of work by being more qualified, and the two reasons for Britain no longer being Great was because we let the immigrants in and because of the students.

Very peculiar man.

Never experienced any physical abuse from people though.
    It's good that people are more qualified though. What an idiot. Probably jealous.

(Original post by fire2burn)
    • Urinate on war memorials

Since when do all students do it? :confused: So far I've counted one.

ReputationRep:

So your friend being a girl makes it worse? STFU.
    In this day and age having a vagina doesn't make someone deserving of protection:rolleyes:

First off, you don't know the story about how she was basically being force-fed alcohol all night by a guy who was trying to take advantage of her while she was trying to get away from him. So no, it wasn't her own fault she was sick.
    Er YES IT WAS. It was either HER fault for accepting the drinks or YOUR fault for not seeing your friend being hounded by a **** and doing something about it. Actually I would say it's both of your faults (more hers though for apparently not being able to stick up for herself).

And what they said initially wasn't necessarily "nasty," but the fact that they tried to start a fight over us telling them to leave her alone is, and it's pretty ridiculous that you would take their side on that. These guys were out looking for a fight, I don't think you understand that. Even if it was her own fault for being sick, that doesn't justify trying to fight with us.
    Your friend Freddy clearly was the one looking for a fight. You don't tell someone to walk away while simoultaneously flipping them off if you have half an ounce of ****ing sense:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    He broke down your door and you didn't smash him up for that? I would go mental.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't seem like this Freddy person was looking for a fight, I don't think he's at fault either. He was just sticking up for his friend.

ReputationRep:
    Its all down to class envy.

ReputationRep:

So if they were looking for a fight, why would you say something which, irrespective of how you perceive it to sound, could be quite easily seen to be provoking them? Pissheads in groups can make a confrontation out of the most innocent of things you could say, so why take a bigger chance by saying something that's confrontational in the first place?

Sounds to me like Freddy had a bit of a common sense failure. Sometimes it's better to just weigh up the odds and be the bigger man.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.