Turn on thread page Beta

My boyfriend might have a kid watch

I've been with my bf over a year and since about a month into our relationship I have known that he might have a daughter.
    His ex cheated on him so the kid could be my bfs or this other guys but the mother insists its my bf and he has money taken off him by the CSA. Consequently, he can't afford to pay for a DNA test and his ex doesn't care as long as she's getting money off him. But the amount of money the CSA takes really effects him and I know that it's on his mind alot.
    I would offer to pay for the test for him but I don't know whether I want it confirming that he has a kid...
    Can anyone offer me some words of wisdom?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Don't pay any money until there is 100% proof. What can the CSA do if you say there is no proof? Probabaly nothing.

ReputationRep:
    tbh i would pay if i were you

you really need to find out cause if its not his hes being robbed of money he shouldnt be and if it is his well at least you know for sure and things carry on the way they have been

ReputationRep:
    Jeremy Kyle?

(Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    tbh i would pay if i were you

you really need to find out cause if its not his hes being robbed of money he shouldnt be and if it is his well at least you know for sure and things carry on the way they have been
    I don't think they would though. We have had the odd conversation about the subject (its one of those awkward subjects) and he has said if the kid is his then it is his responsibility and he would want to be more of a father to her. But he lives 60 miles away from her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SafeYeh)
    Don't pay any money until there is 100% proof. What can the CSA do if you say there is no proof? Probabaly nothing.
    this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matrix15)
    Jeremy Kyle?
    :ditto:
    Especially if you're attractive. Because everybody's so ruddy fuggly on there.

ReputationRep:
    If he refuses to pay, and the she reports it to the CSA, I THINK the CSA then offer to pay for the father to take a DNA test. If he refuses to take it, he's forced to pay. But if he accepts and it's his kid, obviously he won't have to pay anymore. So tell him to stop paying.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by matrix15)
    Jeremy Kyle?
    My thoughts exactly. Free DNA test and all you have to do is be verbally abused by Jeremy for half an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    :ditto:
    Especially if you're attractive. Because everybody's so ruddy fuggly on there.
    Like a gorilla's backside.

Not going on Jeremy Kyle thank you!

ReputationRep:
    You get paid to go jeremy kyle btw

ReputationRep:
    Pay for the DNA test yourself? Can't he ask for his parents to pay for it? And get it done as soon as possible, regardless whether you're scaredit's his or not. The child has a right to have a father. Your boyfriend has a right to know if it is his daughter. You have a right to know what the **** is going on. The sooner you find out, the quicker you can deal with it together.

ReputationRep:
    No point dragging it out for years. It's always going to come back to this: DNA test.

ReputationRep:
    he should refuse to pay until it's confirmed it's his child.

I think I'd be seriously disappointed if my boyfriend hadn't done his best to find out if it was his child straight away tbh. There's a good chance she is and imo you either pay up, man up and be a real father or if you doubt it you refuse to pay anything until you find out if she's yours or not.

I think you need to look out for his interest and the kids, not yours. I know it's not nice to know that she may be his and he may move away but having a child is a huge thing and it's important for him to be a good father. He'll resent you if you aren't supportive.

ReputationRep:
    its definately worth finding out if he's the father. becasue if he's not, i think he can claim the money back from the actual father. also it'll get his ex gf off ur case

ReputationRep:
    How much are DNA tests?
    I definitely think he needs to find out whether he is or not, its not fair on the child growing up not knowing who her dad is and its not fair on him if he isn't.

ReputationRep:
    i really think you should help him pay for the test it all best to find out. it will come out sooner than l8ter

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.