Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all the current medical students at the Sheffield Medical School.
    How is Sheffield as a city?
    Why did you choose Sheffield University for medicine ?
    What is the best part of studying at Sheffield University ? And the bad ? How do you cope with the bad?
    Please explain a bit more about the course structure, how everything is taught and organised and how does it all help you to become a good doctor ?
    Is it PBL or LBL?

I really want to get into this University. Thank you very much in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, me again. Sheffield is a really nice city, a lot of parks/open areas compared to other cities i've been to. It's also a big city, but doesn't feel like one, and everything is really easy to get to from most of the student areas/student accomodation. The only down sides are buses don't run that late, and certainly not all night (which is what I'm used to being from london!) and it can be quite hilly so if you dislike hills... maybe sheffield isnt the place for you...
    I chose sheffield cause I liked the city and the university (i'd been to some social things before cause I knew people at the uni). It has a good atmosphere and its not too expensive.
    The best parts have to be dissection, because it is a really odd experience cutting through bits of a person, but it makes anatomy much easier to remember I feel. I can't believe so many people will never do dissection at medical school! And some of the lecturers are great. Also some work is online eg histology and so you can choose when to do it. They have patient contact pretty early and you get to visit a chronically ill patient at home and learn about how they cope which I personally find very interesting. We also get two weeks in Feb on the wards.
    The bad parts have to be 9am lectures every day practically, and when you only have one or two lectures that day its so annoying. I also find we really havent had many lectures, about 2/3 a day and theres a lot of "self directed learning" but they never really clarify how much detail to go into. Sometimes there's so much on a topic but we only have to know the basics and other times they want really in depth knowledge and you only realise you've way too much or too little work when you take the formative assessment. And also some of the F1's who graduated say sheffield doesn't teach enough biochem, and considering ive only had two biochem lectures they may be right!
    Theres nothing you can really do about 9am lectures and I guess its not that big of a problem really, but you'll find when all your flatmates aren't even out of bed til midday cause they never have morning lectures its soooo annoying! I guess with the learning its better to go into too much detail than too little. Because even if we dont have to know it now, if its in the recommended textbook we will have to know it in later years. Do too little and you just risk total failure =P Although obviously you try not to do TOO much, you need a life as well!
    And its mainly lectures, not really PBL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    Haha, me again. Sheffield is a really nice city, a lot of parks/open areas compared to other cities i've been to. It's also a big city, but doesn't feel like one, and everything is really easy to get to from most of the student areas/student accomodation. The only down sides are buses don't run that late, and certainly not all night (which is what I'm used to being from london!) and it can be quite hilly so if you dislike hills... maybe sheffield isnt the place for you...
    I chose sheffield cause I liked the city and the university (i'd been to some social things before cause I knew people at the uni). It has a good atmosphere and its not too expensive.
    The best parts have to be dissection, because it is a really odd experience cutting through bits of a person, but it makes anatomy much easier to remember I feel. I can't believe so many people will never do dissection at medical school! And some of the lecturers are great. Also some work is online eg histology and so you can choose when to do it. They have patient contact pretty early and you get to visit a chronically ill patient at home and learn about how they cope which I personally find very interesting. We also get two weeks in Feb on the wards.
    The bad parts have to be 9am lectures every day practically, and when you only have one or two lectures that day its so annoying. I also find we really havent had many lectures, about 2/3 a day and theres a lot of "self directed learning" but they never really clarify how much detail to go into. Sometimes there's so much on a topic but we only have to know the basics and other times they want really in depth knowledge and you only realise you've way too much or too little work when you take the formative assessment. And also some of the F1's who graduated say sheffield doesn't teach enough biochem, and considering ive only had two biochem lectures they may be right!
    Theres nothing you can really do about 9am lectures and I guess its not that big of a problem really, but you'll find when all your flatmates aren't even out of bed til midday cause they never have morning lectures its soooo annoying! I guess with the learning its better to go into too much detail than too little. Because even if we dont have to know it now, if its in the recommended textbook we will have to know it in later years. Do too little and you just risk total failure =P Although obviously you try not to do TOO much, you need a life as well!
    And its mainly lectures, not really PBL.
    what textbooks do sheffield recommend?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.