Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    my hair is almost down to my bum and tbh im getting sick of it, theres only 3 ways i wear it (down, up in a pony tail or two plaits)

so i was thinking of going for the chop, maybe to shoulder length (no shorter)

i dont know if i would still be bored though, i mean is it easier to do things with shorter hair? would i be able to curl it ok (with straighteners)?

ReputationRep:
    I have hair that is just a way past my shoulders and I think it's a really versatile length. I guess if you cut your hair you could also add a little more style to it, maybe a long sweeping wide fringe or some layers would be nice. Would be less boring than having it all one length.

My hair being how it is, is easy to pin up nicely and that's a little bit more interesting than just a ponytail and it also holds waves/curls pretty well as there isn't too much weight to it - I do both looks with GHDs. It's also fun to mess up a bit and add lift to the roots, to define the top layer more.

Like this is really pretty, yet simple, with just a little height and I think you could easily acheive a similar style - depending on the cut you choose, although I think this shows a great inbetween length. The curls would be easy to mimic with a little practice of different methods -

It's also quite easy to care for at this length which is one of the main advantages. I do take good care of my hair though, use quite a lot of treatments as I do have Racoon bonded extensions to add volume as naturally my hair has gone pretty thin. That's a little more maintenance but obviously that doesn't apply to you. Dries quickly after washing aswell, probably 10 minutes with the hairdryer.

ReputationRep:
    natalie, thanks for the advice, yeah the maintenance of it is another reason i want to go shorter, it takes me 15-20 mins to wash it and it takes hours to dry so im looking forward to spending less time washing/drying

also im hoping i would be able to do that 'just shagged look' you know the really messy one which just does not take with my hair being this long

i dont know who that girl is but her hair is lovely

can you recommend some good hair treatments?

ReputationRep:
    It's Sophia Bush, probably best known for her role on One Tree Hill. I just love the colour she has too, I'm very blonde and pale, I'd look so awful with dark hair but I think it's super attractive all the same.

I know what you mean about the messy look, with very long hair I imagine it looks like you haven't bothered but it seems with shorter hair it's quite fashionable to leave it a little untamed or dishevelled. It's so fast aswell, I literally roll out of bed and scrunch mine with some hairspray for quite a loose look.

Hair treatments I like are mainly by Redken and Kerastase, they are pricey but everything I've bought from both companies has lasted a long while. Not made any repurchases in a good couple of months, bar shampoo/conditioner.

I tend to go for the Redken Extreme line of protein reconstructing products (either the Deep Fuel or the CAT). That is mainly to help with any breakage or weakness, my hair is also coloured and more prone to those types of problems. I then follow that with a Kerastase mask to add moisture back, as protein treatments can be quite drying although they do add strength to the hair. I use the Kerastase Masquintense Fins. Probably follow that regime twice a week maximum. Just depends on your hair type sometimes, but Kerastase especially have such an extensive range that they have something targeted at practically everything! I usually ask my hairdresser for recommendations too, she's extremely good at what she does so that's always useful! If you ask most of the time hairdressers are happy to tell you what products would suit you in particular. If I order online I use http://www.styleunion.co.uk. Some of the best prices, plus they do free delivery. At Christmas they even upgraded my shipping to next day delivery for absolutely nothing, to ensure I got it in time.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.