Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well computer ner... geniouses, how is it done?

ReputationRep:
    err HTML. I use dreamweaver but its a commerical package and is very expensive. The best way to do it is HTML though.

Seriously though unless you know what you're doing its very easy to make websites that are so god damn awful. Making a good website requires a lot of skill and a good eye for detail.

There is two many cheap DIY stuff on the market. You could try using some templates.

ReputationRep:
    Geocities. Pagebuilder.

But don't blame me when it looks turdy.

ReputationRep:
    I dont care what they look like. I just want a way of getting my stuff off my computer at home on the computers in uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Beaver)
    I dont care what they look like. I just want a way of getting my stuff off my computer at home on the computers in uni.
    cant u use the uni email? compose a new message, load ur attachments, but press "send later" which will save as a draft. that way theres no limit on how big the file is, bcoz uve not sent it. then open up ur uni email at uni, then voila, mission accomplished

ReputationRep:
    You could go to http://www.geocities.com and use their pagebuilder tool. It will look like crap, but it's fast and really easy.

ReputationRep:
    So you don't actually want to create a website at all. You want storage space.

ReputationRep:
    Can I make my computer an internet file server? I think thats what I want.

ReputationRep:
    What you do is copy and paste the source code from one website onto notepad. Download all pics form site and theer you have it. quick and dirty.

ReputationRep:
    You could try apache or Microsoft Web server or somthing like that. You don't really need to go that far though. Just sing up for some free webspace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    You could try apache or Microsoft Web server or somthing like that. You don't really need to go that far though. Just sing up for some free webspace.
    if only it was that simple....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I think I am too much of a cheapskate for that. I'll try this Apache thing - my friend was on about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    if only it was that simple....
    la la la

Free stuff please...

cheers for the rep elpaw. Will give you some today.

ReputationRep:
    In theory it is simple in practise its not as you have to condend with the fact your ISP some times changes your IP address even if you're on broadband. Then if you have domain names attached the server it causes real problems.

For that reason I just pay for my hosting.

ReputationRep:
    ok so my suggestion was dismissed altogether!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    cheers for the rep elpaw. Will give you some today.
    I was dissapointed that i didn't get an automated response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SparklLZz)
    cant u use the uni email? compose a new message, load ur attachments, but press "send later" which will save as a draft. that way theres no limit on how big the file is, bcoz uve not sent it. then open up ur uni email at uni, then voila, mission accomplished
    Very good suggestion. I will try it thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Beaver)
    Very good suggestion. I will try it thanks.
    :P thanx

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.