Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does any one know anything about IB further maths? I emailed Cambridge to see if they preferred A levels or IB to study maths. They said if i did the IB i should do further maths standard level. I can't find out much about it on the internet. If any one does it or knows about it I would really appreciate it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cissyrobinson)
    Does any one know anything about IB further maths? I emailed Cambridge to see if they preferred A levels or IB to study maths. They said if i did the IB i should do further maths standard level. I can't find out much about it on the internet. If any one does it or knows about it I would really appreciate it?
    About 100 people take it worldwide every year. It's suicidal. You would have the colossal pressure of (almost undoubtedly) needing to obtain a 7 in SL Further Maths, as well as any STEP conditions and a ridiculously high overall point score which means you would have to be really strong in your other 5 subjects too. This is IF you somehow managed to get an offer.

In comparison, A level maths is modular so you don't need to learn everything at once and you can retake exams over and over.

It all seems horribly unfair when you make comparisons!

ReputationRep:
    Hey dude, I am doing IB Further Maths SL on a self study basis as a 7th subject. Its very hard and I am barely going to score a 4, but if you have then, nothing is hard.

And as far as cambridge offer is concerned, they will never ask for a 7, because I dont know if anyone ever got it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingxlr8)
    Hey dude, I am doing IB Further Maths SL on a self study basis as a 7th subject. Its very hard and I am barely going to score a 4, but if you have then, nothing is hard.

And as far as cambridge offer is concerned, they will never ask for a 7, because I dont know if anyone ever got it.
    I do. Last May, 12 people out of 115 got a level 7 (source: May 09 statistics bulletin).

Also you are wrong. I can remember seeing a member on here who has an offer asking for a level 7. Also I think if this thread were to be re-posted in f38 there would be many more responses.

I can't for the life of me understand why you would self study fmaths sl as an extra subject. That's crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iapetus)
    I do. Last May, 12 people out of 115 got a level 7 (source: May 09 statistics bulletin).

Also you are wrong. I can remember seeing a member on here who has an offer asking for a level 7. Also I think if this thread were to be re-posted in f38 there would be many more responses.

I can't for the life of me understand why you would self study fmaths sl as an extra subject. That's crazy.
    Thanks for the statistics . My mistake.

I am kind of crazy. in addition to that 7th subject I am also taking 4 higher level subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice,
    I have reposted this in the other forum.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice,
    I have reposted this in the other forum.
    xxx
    No problem

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.