Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi ppl

I'm in a spot of trouble at the moment. I'm literally down to my last £100 of funds which have to last me till the end of the university year.

From the SLC I have just the non repayable student grant, which is like 950 or so a term. So all I do is get the grant before the term payment date and add the extra needed for the university term installments, which is like 1130 or so.

I live home with parents, local university. I dont recieve any other financial help. Home income is below 15k. parents dont work, retired. I dont work, too much already to do with university.

What options are there for me to get financial support?

I know some people are saying, I should of got the loan, but I want to stay debt free while i can, loan is the last resort.

ALL ADVICE WELCOME.!

ReputationRep:
    If you're too busy to have a proper job, at least find something you do once a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesmore)
    Hi ppl

I'm in a spot of trouble at the moment. I'm literally down to my last £100 of funds which have to last me till the end of the university year.

From the SLC I have just the non repayable student grant, which is like 950 or so a term. So all I do is get the grant before the term payment date and add the extra needed for the university term installments, which is like 1130 or so.

I live home with parents, local university. I dont recieve any other financial help. Home income is below 15k. parents dont work, retired. I dont work, too much already to do with university.

I know some people are saying, I should of got the loan, but I want to stay debt free while i can, loan is the last resort.

ALL ADVICE WELCOME.!

I know you don't want the loan but it's the best kind of loan you'll ever get in your life.

Do you have a student account? If not get a student account and get the overdraft. This is interest free, so again the best kind of overdraft you'll ever get. If you don't already have one then I'd say this is your best bet, you'll get it as soon as you go into the bank and apply.

ReputationRep:
    Hi ppl

ALL ADVICE WELCOME.!
    You are complaing you can't surive on the grant only? Well there there is this loan SLC also do...

Oh wait you don't want to be in debt? Well everyone else loves it, we take out loans for fun.

/sarcasm

In reality, get a job, part time if you are busy.

ReputationRep:
    Hi ppl

ALL ADVICE WELCOME.!
    Get the loan!

Not all loans are created equal. The student loans are very reasonable and exist to help in your exact situation. A student loan will be even better than a student account overdraft which the bank could demand is repaid. Providing you repay the loan when required, the student loan debt won't impact on your ability to get other credit, and, since it is pretty much free in real terms, if you don't need it you can just stick it in a savings account and be making money.

ReputationRep:
    Hi ppl

ALL ADVICE WELCOME.!
    How are you paying your fees if you didn't take out any loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASCIIcipher)
    How are you paying your fees if you didn't take out any loan?
    Its mentioned in my original post. Sorry if was unclear. From the Grant I get from SLC, which is around £950 or so, before each term. I use that to pay of terms university fees. With the grant money and abit of my own to total the university term fees of 1150 or so.

@ Others: Yes, the loan is a possible option for me, just a quick question. Because i'm now in the middle of the second term. Will I still be able to apply for the student loan?

I cant get a job, I have far too many commitments apart from university.

Any other advice is welcome.

ReputationRep:
    @ Others: Yes, the loan is a possible option for me, just a quick question. Because i'm now in the middle of the second term. Will I still be able to apply for the student loan?
    Yes, that won't be a problem, I've only just recently applied myself.

ReputationRep:
    Id suggest going to william hill/paddy power, and going on the roulette machine.
    100 pounds on one number, and if ur lucky, you'll be leaving with 3600!

Lol, in all seriousness though, id suggest on betting on dog races. Worked for me lol

ReputationRep:
    It's not really "trouble" if you haven't even got a loan, tbh. The grant wasn't designed to allow you to be debt-free after uni. I don't think you'll get much sympathy here - the majority of people on this forum are in a significant amount of debt and had to work during their degree ...

ReputationRep:
    wow too busy to get a job...or too lazy?

I was busy, had a job and completed my finals tired but with money in my pocket...

Get the loan, get a job and stop complaining.

ReputationRep:
    Hi ppl

ALL ADVICE WELCOME.!

I think youve just got the whole loans thing mixed up with being in debt.

As others have pointed out, student debt is not bad debt and is actually classed as good debt, providing of course that it is used for the correct reasons and is managed properly by the student.

You say you dont want to be in debt, but you are not being realistic.

For example, youre living with retired parents who are on a very low income, so even if you are not personally taking on any debt, they are shouldering your outgoings and even if they are prepared to and can afford it, why should they?

Youre an adult now, with adult choices and unfortunately you are going to come up against this `debt` choice many times, for example, if you go to buy a house in the future. Some people dont want a mortgage round their neck, but this is all part of being in the real grown up world, and seriously, as someone else has said, not many will sympathise on here, because they are struggling to cover all their needs on much less support than you are getting, even though they have the loans.
    And this is through no fault of their own, its simply down to factors such as expensive halls/rent, food and bills.

I feel that you feel constrained by the lack of funds at the moment. This should help you feel differently if you do apply for funding, because it will mean you can feel in control and you may even be able to save some, which will help you feel secure about paying it back later.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.