Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thought most of it was pretty ok. Can anyone remember what they got for the H-H bond enthalpy and what they got for the delta Hr enthalpy change? The one question I didn't get was how to use the Mr values to show that there are traces of CO2 in the propane. Any one know how to do this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    Are you serious? that was the easiest piece of crap ever being it's Unit 2. Much much easier than past papers. I thought they took some questions out of the GCSE's. Confident 90%+.

But alot of people are going to get high marks, so grade boundaries is going to be high
    Wait until A2 that's when it starts to get harder, they just give you the "tools" in AS and in A2 you leant to use them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcseangel)
    well that is great news! What did you write for the reagent and then u had to say ur observation for each compound? I screwed up on the cl2 + h20 reaction I wrote hcl and hclo aah
    are you talking about the question with propanal and propanone? if so i went with fehlings solution. blue to brick red for propanal, no colour change for propanone. you could also have had acidified potassium dichromate if you wanted, and maybe tollens reagent but im not sure, cant remember what it shows

i mucked up the Cl2 + H2O question, but pulled it back with mechanisms and equilibria so its all good

one use for SO2 is that it can be reacted to produce sulfurous acid, H2SO3, then sold for profit, but im sure theres lots of other uses.
    what did people get for the species that turns the pool water a pale green colour?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    So2 is collected and use to make h2so4..you know..add water. For catalyst being hot, i don't know, the only question to baffle me on the paper.

EDIT: just incase you wrote so2 down and tried working it out. the extra oxygen came from the air.

so2 + h2o + 1/2o2 = h2so4
    Why did the catalyst remain hot? 1mark

ReputationRep:
    well that is great news! What did you write for the reagent and then u had to say ur observation for each compound? I screwed up on the cl2 + h20 reaction I wrote hcl and hclo aah
    Thats what i put. why was it wronggg? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    what did people get for the species that turns the pool water a pale green colour?
    Where was that???? it was the Cl- ions wasnt it???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckyburch)
    isnt it supposed to be 2cl2 + 2h2o -->4hcl + 2o2

ReputationRep:
    Where was that???? it was the Cl- ions wasnt it???
    yeah me too im not sure on this one, thought it was cl- ions

ReputationRep:
    It's not wrong.

ReputationRep:
    are you talking about the question with propanal
    I wrote cl2, but some of my friends said they wrote cl-
    does it matter which one is used?

Yeah same here I didnt know those too I guess the real chemists would know it. What did u write for ur definition of catalysts?
    I've put, it provides an alternative route for the reaction without being itself chemically used. And at the end remembered to add it lowers the activation energy.
    What really annoys me is that this year, after doing UNIT1 as well AQA try to word the questions differently. And for somone like me, I get very confused and lost even if I know the answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickymartin)
    Thought most of it was pretty ok. Can anyone remember what they got for the H-H bond enthalpy and what they got for the delta Hr enthalpy change? The one question I didn't get was how to use the Mr values to show that there are traces of CO2 in the propane. Any one know how to do this?
    H-H bond enthalpy I got 464 maybe? It was in the 400s... Delta H r enthalpy change I think it was one thousand and something, can't remember what.

And for the Mr values, you calculated the precise Mrs for the two compounds using the new masses they gave you, and saw that they were very different. The two marks were probably just for the calculations, but just in case I put 'They have different Mrs' or something underneath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeon Prince)
    isnt it supposed to be 2cl2 + 2h2o -->4hcl + 2o2
    No i dont think so... Thats not whats is the nelson thornes book anyway... Fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remind me what the last question or the question before the last was about? It it was one of the couple of questions I struggled, but I've already forgotten about it due to being happy with the paper overall lol.

Why did the catalyst remain hot? 1mark
    I've put because the reaction is exothermic, so the catalyst is absorbing the heat. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeon Prince)
    I wrote cl2, but some of my friends said they wrote cl-
    does it matter which one is used?
    Yes, bcause CO2 wasnt a product of the reaction

ReputationRep:
    are you talking about the question with propanal and propanone? if so i went with fehlings solution. blue to brick red for propanal, no colour change for propanone. you could also have had acidified potassium dichromate if you wanted, and maybe tollens reagent but im not sure, cant remember what it shows

i mucked up the Cl2 + H2O question, but pulled it back with mechanisms and equilibria so its all good

one use for SO2 is that it can be reacted to produce sulfurous acid, H2SO3, then sold for profit, but im sure theres lots of other uses.
    I went with Tollens - Silver mirror with Aldehyde

And its the dissolved chlorine that turn the water pale green. I think I saw this in the book? Maybe one of the exam-style questions...

ReputationRep:

The only reagent I could remember was benedicts I said turns brick red with aldehyde And stays blue with ketone. Yay I wrote that too. I said cl2 u? In the long question it asked about biofuels what did u write? And there was a question which wasvasking for colour I think the page it asked abt what type of alcohol this?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    I've put because the reaction is exothermic, so the catalyst is absorbing the heat. What about you?
    This is what I put too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcus_Q)
    H-H bond enthalpy I got 464 maybe? It was in the 400s... Delta H r enthalpy change I think it was one thousand and something, can't remember what.

And for the Mr values, you calculated the precise Mrs for the two compounds using the new masses they gave you, and saw that they were very different. The two marks were probably just for the calculations, but just in case I put 'They have different Mrs' or something underneath
    for delta H r was your enthalpy sign positive or negative?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.