Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeon Prince)
    did we need to give an equation when it said "use of so2?"
    You don't, I was just showing someone what the economical viability of converting so2 to h2so4

ReputationRep:
    it said the empericial formula was C3H7 so the molecular formula would have been C6H14 I think the ones you were supposed to use were
    ch3ch2ch2 + ch3ch2ch2
    omg :facepalm: i'm starting to think you're right.
    Didn't have a good feeling about the exam from the very beginning. Bummed that exam pretty well

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcseangel)
    r you sure as it said the reaction occurs with sunlight so the product would be hcl and 02 like aeon said. Looks like we both lost the mark lol
    Might have been my mistake, thought you guys were talking about cl2 in swimming pool...not the observation question or whatever...
    But for the swimming pool question- that'll be the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)
    And what was that Mr question about?! about the traces of CO2?!

And does anyone else think they made a mistake with the free radical sub question. On the termination step, they stated that the product formed will have the molecular formula of C3H7.. wasn't it supposed to be C3H7Cl ?
    nopes Aeon is right, empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio, so if you have butyl free radical + butyl free radical you get C6H14, the empirical formula of which is C3H7

ReputationRep:
    Really liked this paper.. just a couple of 1 markers I wasn't too sure about. Can't wait for March 11th now.. that was my last exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    nopes Aeon is right, empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio, so if you have butyl free radical + butyl free radical you get C6H14, the empirical formula of which is C3H7
    yeah just got that. Serves me for not reading the question properly :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I liked the mechanisms ones :rolleyes: they were pretty basic.
    ...but ERGHH, some reallyy odd Energetics things crept up.
    ...low B, is my prediction :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    To get that mark for so2 would u hav to
    mention it reacting with o2 aswell as h2o ?

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone talking about so2? it wasn't the only question on it. Answer is because you can turn it into H2SO4

ReputationRep:
    What did anyone get for the two organic products of butan-2-ol? What class of alcohol is butan-2-ol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khokharz1)
    What did anyone get for the two organic products of butan-2-ol? What class of alcohol is butan-2-ol?
    wasnt it butan-1-ol?
    I panicked and went with Butanal and Butanoic acid not too sure about those. but butan-1-ol is a primary alcohol
    (someone correct if wrong, or if i didnt read the question properly)

ReputationRep:
    wasnt it butan-1-ol?
    I panicked and went with Butanal and Butanoic acid not too sure about those. but butan-1-ol is a primary alcohol
    I think your right...it was butan-1-ol or I hope it was because that would be a silly mistake

and after oxidation the two products were butanal and butanoic acid

ReputationRep:
    it said c3h7 was the empirical formula so the molecular formula if you used the right free radicals would have been c6h14
    i think
    I was confused about that so I put two of the C3H7 free radicals together to make C6H14, Now, I realised what I put actually makes sense, I never thought about the empirical formula thing.

After reading this thread, I feel a bit more confident about some of the questions I made "educated guesses" with because people seem to have put the same as me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zabs)
    I think your right...it was butan-1-ol or I hope it was because that would be a silly mistake

and after oxidation the two products were butanal and butanoic acid
    excellent now i feel that bit more confident in my answer

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for the 3rd one of those one markers where you identify the halogen, (they were combined with something else, but I can't remember now)?

ReputationRep:
    hehe...lets hope we did well :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I put Butanal and water because that's what you get when you first oxidise it. I know if you oxidise it again you get butanoic acid. Oh no, I don't know which is correct.

ReputationRep:
    wasnt it butan-1-ol?
    We had to draw them right?! I drew the products but havn't named them O_O Please tell me I did it right...

It was primary btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haruhi)
    We had to draw them right?! I drew the products but havn't named them O_O Please tell me I did it right...

It was primary btw
    Great I got primary oh no I drew an aldehyde nd a ketone. No u didn't have to write just draw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloedabell)
    What did people put for the 3rd one of those one markers where you identify the halogen, (they were combined with something else, but I can't remember now)?
    I can't remember tht one but I know 4 the last one I wrote iodine u?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.