Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloedabell)
    I put Butanal and water because that's what you get when you first oxidise it. I know if you oxidise it again you get butanoic acid. Oh no, I don't know which is correct.
    it asks for the two organic products that are formed. water isnt an organic compound sorry

ReputationRep:
    On that page there was a one mark q asking abt what type of reactions r these? I wrote oxidation then crossed out n wrote reflux

what abt infra red spectrum of an alcohol what Did u write for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcseangel)
    On that page there was a one mark q asking abt what type of reactions r these? I wrote oxidation then crossed out n wrote reflux

what abt infra red spectrum of an alcohol what Did u write for that?
    I went with oxidation. i think heating under reflux is more to do with reaction conditions than the reaction mixture itself, not too sure though. where it talks about how can you identify the alcohol from its infra-red fingerprint i just said they could compare the fingerprint to those of already existing alcohol fingerprints and find a match. i dont think its meant to be overly complicated but i may have the wrong end of the stick

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, did anyone took the exam today?

What did you think of it and what questuion did you fine hard?

Which board?

ReputationRep:
    aqa

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone definitely sure that in the exam they asked what the 2 organic products of butan-1-ol were?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    wasnt it butan-1-ol?
    I panicked and went with Butanal and Butanoic acid not too sure about those. but butan-1-ol is a primary alcohol
    (someone correct if wrong, or if i didnt read the question properly)
    are you sure it was butan-1-ol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khokharz1)
    are you sure it was butan-1-ol?
    I am pretty much 100% sure yes, as the question asked for the 2 organic products you'd get from oxidation. if it was butan-2-ol you'd only be able to make a ketone couldnt oxidize it further, or at least i dont think you can

ReputationRep:
    damn for the question about what type of reactions are these i wrote redox reactions.
    What was the name of the alkene from the repeating unit? was it but-2-ene or E-but-2-ene?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeon Prince)
    damn for the question about what type of reactions are these i wrote redox reactions.
    What was the name of the alkene from the repeating unit? was it but-2-ene or E-but-2-ene?
    I think both would be right... I accidently wrote z-but-ene...

ReputationRep:
    i went with E-but-2-ene but i guess you could have either one's just more specific

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    i went with Cl2, the equation was something like Cl2 + H2O = H+ + cl- + HClO and the question said when you add sodium hydroxide the colour disappears. so if you add NaOH, the OH- would react with the H+ creating H2O, since it was a reversible reaction at equilibrium by increasing concentration of reactants and decreasing conc of products you'd shift equilibrium to the right, more Cl2 is used up and therefore the colour disappears

(feel free to correct as thats just my theory)
    oh and SO2 doesnt make H2SO4, it makes H2SO3 when reacted with water, its sulfur trioxide that reacts to produce H2SO4
    sorry to return to this question but i really got stuck on it! I knew cl2 gas is greeny yellow, but didn't put this as it's in a liquid...i put cl- ions, altho i think this is wrong, i reakon cl2 was the correct answer...altho i am still confused, because altho h20 would be made, surely the cl2 would be used up, and so the eqm shifts left to replace this lost cl2??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scherzando225)
    sorry to return to this question but i really got stuck on it! I knew cl2 gas is greeny yellow, but didn't put this as it's in a liquid...i put cl- ions, altho i think this is wrong, i reakon cl2 was the correct answer...altho i am still confused, because altho h20 would be made, surely the cl2 would be used up, and so the eqm shifts left to replace this lost cl2??
    you're decreasing the concentration on the right, and increasing it on the left by converting the H+ to H2O, therefore equilibrium favours the reaction that makes more H+ (the forward reaction) using up Cl2, which is why the colour disappears. equilibrium doesnt shift one way to oppose the change, then shift back to oppose the change its just introduced that'd be paradoxical

I've just remembered. What did everyone put for the equation of the reaction between Copper and Iron? I had no idea what to put! S oI put an equation that has probably never been heard of in the Histrory of Chemistry lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    I've just remembered. What did everyone put for the equation of the reaction between Copper and Iron? I had no idea what to put! S oI put an equation that has probably never been heard of in the Histrory of Chemistry lol
    i think it was CU2+ + Fe --> cu + Fe2+

ReputationRep:
    i think it was CU2+ + Fe --> cu + Fe2+
    thats what i went with

ReputationRep:
    We were all active on this thread straight after the results but know one is being brave enough to say their grade for this unit after results day.
    So what did you all get? I hope you did well.

I got a C grade with 93 UMS marks the same as last year.

Now i am unsure whether i should retake this one to try and make the overall result much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcseangel)
    We were all active on this thread straight after the results but know one is being brave enough to say their grade for this unit after results day.
    So what did you all get? I hope you did well.

I got a C grade with 93 UMS marks the same as last year.

Now i am unsure whether i should retake this one to try and make the overall result much better.
    Aww im sorry to hear that D8 Are you resitting?
    I had an A 114 UMS. o-o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haruhi)
    Aww im sorry to hear that D8 Are you resitting?
    I had an A 114 UMS. o-o
    Thats a great score well done

I dont know do you reckon i should?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.