Turn on thread page Beta

do cardio exercises (eg. treadmill) make you look better? watch

ReputationRep:
    as in do they make you have a healthier skin tone, do they create a more general toned look on your body, do they increase the firmness of your chest (lungs) and legs? etc.

or do they only serve the purpose of increasing your stamina by strengthening your heart? (all assuming a good diet and you wash regularly) thanks for all replies

ReputationRep:
    unless your eating correctly, the tread mill will just make you look like a wire frame

ReputationRep:
    Running is known to improve appearance by reducing fat, improving skin, and some other things probably.

ReputationRep:
    Better?

That depends on your current state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrooru)
    as in do they make you have a healthier skin tone, do they create a more general toned look on your body, do they increase the firmness of your chest (lungs) and legs? etc.

or do they only serve the purpose of increasing your stamina by strengthening your heart? (all assuming a good diet and you wash regularly) thanks for all replies
    Running increases the metabolic rate, which makes your body better at reducing fat. Less of your body will be fat and will look better so yes.

Though in order to really look toned and firm you should be doing weight training.

If you want your chest to look firmer do exercises on the pectorals (Bench press, lifting dumb bells whilst lying down etc).

Though the best thing is an improved Cardio will definitely make your heart healthier and prolongue your life unless you smoke or eat fatty foods to excess.

ReputationRep:
    it'll reduce fat, as long as your also keeping a good balanced diet,
    Tone will come from weights
    I have a new passion for running!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadiechantel)
    it'll reduce fat, as long as your also keeping a good balanced diet,
    Tone will come from weights
    I have a new passion for running!
    Would one gym session a week do v.much? I love the treadmill but dont have much money or live in a place where 'free' running is viable.

ReputationRep:
    3 HIIT 20 mins a week id say is probs equivalent to 3-4 hours steady state

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    3 HIIT 20 mins a week id say is probs equivalent to 3-4 hours steady state
    What rubbish. Unless you're defining steady-state as a crawl there's no way its equivalent. It's more time efficient - but 1 hour of HIIT in three sessions is not the same as 4 hours of exercise at a steady-tempo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    Running increases the metabolic rate, which makes your body better at reducing fat. Less of your body will be fat and will look better so yes.
    Depends on the speed and/or intensity.

A slow jog/low intensity workout will have very little effect on your metabolism. On the otherhand working at a high intensity (eg; sprinting) will increase your metabolism post workout.

ReputationRep:
    Ryan T is your correct then why do people jab on like HIIT in the kindgom of weight loss?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    Ryan T is your correct then why do people jab on like HIIT in the kindgom of weight loss?
    Because it's time efficient.

I'm not saying it's bad - If you've got 1 hour a week to spare for exercise then it makes sense to do it as HIIT.

That doesn't make it equivalent to 4 hours of steady-tempo work however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    That doesn't make it equivalent to 4 hours of steady-tempo work however.
    HIIT and LISS are essentially two different events which bring about different physiological responses. They both have their advantages and disadvantages - one is not better than the other.

HIIT can improve strength, both anaerobic and aerobic fitness, body composition, more time efficient, etc. LISS on the otherhand is 'easier', more enjoyable, more relevant to endurance athletes, etc.

In an ideal world you'd have a mixture of both - if you can't then personally I'd favour more HIIT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Would one gym session a week do v.much? I love the treadmill but dont have much money or live in a place where 'free' running is viable.
    How can you not live in a place where running is viable? The point of running is its the one form of aerobic exercise you can do literally anywhere with no equipment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    How can you not live in a place where running is viable? The point of running is its the one form of aerobic exercise you can do literally anywhere with no equipment.
    Thats not answering my question but thanks for the try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrooru)

Who wants firm lungs?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm if you want great improvements you need to go two or three times a week, which can be an issue if you dont have access, try running outdoors?

ReputationRep:
    Thats not answering my question but thanks for the try.
    I wasn't trying to answer your question, I was asking how can you live in a place where running is not viable? If as you live as your location says in Somerset, I'm sure there are some really nice places to run round there.

The fact that you've chosen not to answer leads me to assume that running is indeed viable where you live, but for some other reason you choose not to do it.

If you do want my opinion, it may be better than nothing, but IMO one workout a week isn't sufficient, no. That said I would never run on a treadmill anyway, they're horrible things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    I wasn't trying to answer your question, I was asking how can you live in a place where running is not viable? If as you live as your location says in Somerset, I'm sure there are some really nice places to run round there.

The fact that you've chosen not to answer leads me to assume that running is indeed viable where you live, but for some other reason you choose not to do it.

If you do want my opinion, it may be better than nothing, but IMO one workout a week isn't sufficient, no. That said I would never run on a treadmill anyway, they're horrible things.
    It says North Somerset and Somerset is a huge region you cant tar it all with im sure there are some really nice places to run' - there are if I drive 45 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    It says North Somerset and Somerset is a huge region you cant tar it all with im sure there are some really nice places to run' - there are if I drive 45 minutes.
    What are you on about, it doesn't matter where you live theres somewhere to run :confused:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.