Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How would you start this essay? (1st year undergrad)

Outline two factors that contribute to the development of gender stereotypes and gender role adoption in children

I've got definitions for the two, but I'm a little confused as to what the two main factors may be.

I've looked at the way parents treat their children as being a determining factor of how that child behaves, talking and playing with them differently depending on the child's gender (Crowley, Callanan, Tenebaun and Allen 2001; Lamb 1997, then C. Smith and Lloyd 1978 for reference)

This essay is only 1500 words, so I suppose I could use that as a main factor, do you think that's correct?

And how exactly would you open this essay? I'm a bit stuck

Though it's not been mentioned in the lectures, would it be worth mentioning Social Learning Theory?

Thank you for any help!

ReputationRep:
    You could say that biology is the other factor. duh :facepalm:
    So the biological gender would influence the child's actions perhaps, through hormones.

I suppose I'd have to argue that this isn't concrete enough to explain why a child would adopt the role of a male/female (rough play vs quiet play etc.), due to their physical appearance and genetics?

If anyone has read any articles/journals that would be great, I have some rep to give out.

ReputationRep:
    :sigh:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.