Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've got the exam on January 28th.
    I just want to check I'm not missing out anything whilst revising:

* Non Fatal Offences
    * Non Fatal Offences Reform
    * General Defences (Consent, Intox., Self Defence, Insanity, Automatism)
    * Reform of 2 of These Defences (We're doing insanity & intoxication)
    * Murder
    * Reform of Murder
    * Voluntary Manslaughter (Provocation & Diminished Responsibility)
    * Involuntary Manslaughter (Unlawful Act & Gross Negligence)

Am I missing anything else we need to know?
    Do we need to know reform of the partial defences or does that get slotted into reform of murder?
    Do we do reform of unlawful act and gross negligence manslaughter?
    :confused:

Thanks for help! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Our teachers told us that they won't specify particular defences for you to reform, but I think you will have to discuss 2 (if it even comes up!). So yeah, our teachers just decided to pick insanity and intoxication to go over the reform of, but you could do any of the others.

ReputationRep:
    We've been told different for the general defences, they can specify which ones they want you to discuss and we've been told it'll most likely be 3

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm really?
    And you're doing the new spec?

ReputationRep:
    yup (Y)

ReputationRep:
    Fo reform, last question, u can get a choice of reform 1, Non fatal, 2, Murder, 3, General Defences. In addition they can ask you 1 (most likely non fatal). The order of most likely asked are above.

ReputationRep:
    For defences they may say any two or they could specify the actual defence, you will not get a choice of the 3 on the new specification it will either be murder which includes voluntary m/s, non-fatal or defences - either specific ones or just general

ReputationRep:
    Mark, r u sure?..and do u know all defences? if yes, do u mind posting reforms for general defences and strenghts and weakness for them. pls

ReputationRep:
    yes, that information is the same as what teahers have been probvided with, it is unlikey defenceswill come up due to confusion about the way they could ask the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark.ellison)
    For defences they may say any two or they could specify the actual defence, you will not get a choice of the 3 on the new specification it will either be murder which includes voluntary m/s, non-fatal or defences - either specific ones or just general
    Yeah you don't get a choice of which reform question you want to do anymore, so you have to learn all three.
    I'm confused now as my teachers told me they'd ask us to discuss reform of 2 defences of our choice.. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    What they can ask you on defences criticisms is really confusing - i mean i have ased 3 teachers nd get different answers all the time, and on the forum diferent people have been told different things - this is why they are unlikely to come up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sooo confused about the defences evaluation, do I learn 2 in depth or all of them or what? lol

ReputationRep:
    Rainbow, do wat i do, learn Non fatal offences hard (most liekly to come up), learn murder (+provocation and dr, not much to talk here so its easy.), and for defences, just learn the main points, incase it comes up.

ReputationRep:
    There is so much to remember for this exam, it's just a freaking memory test :mad:

ReputationRep:
    We haven't been told anything about the strengths of defences/murder/non fatals just the criticisms . Can someone please post some strengths please? I'm sooo worried now, there seems to be a lot of confusion over this exam.

ReputationRep:
    Why do u need strenghts?..The Q will ask evaluate or it may say the non fatal offences are great, then u ofcourse do the opposite and write the criticisms.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they're not gonna ask for strengths.
    There was a past question that said something along the lines of
    'The non fatal offences are perfectly satisfactory. Discuss'.
    This doesn't mean you have to talk about strengths - you argue against this statement and talk about why they're so bad and need reforming.

ReputationRep:
    Yes anything they give u, u allways criticise it...anything..

ReputationRep:
    We've been told that we can choose the defences we want to talk about. Oh my gosh they better let us I've only decided to learn consent and self-defence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swimmer)
    Rainbow, do wat i do, learn Non fatal offences hard (most liekly to come up), learn murder (+provocation and dr, not much to talk here so its easy.), and for defences, just learn the main points, incase it comes up.
    yeah I think i'll do that, my teacher seems to think defences evaluation won't come up because he spoke to the chief examiner who said something along the lines of the exam won't be much different from previous years. soo if they did ask about defences that would be a BIG difference because it was never on the previous syllabus.. so fingers crossed.

Doesn't stop me worrying though .. lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 29, 2010

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.