Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I wanted to start paying attention to my calorie intake, and starting a healthy eating plan...
    Just wondered if any of you knew of somewhere I could get a whole meal plan sorted out? Any of you that have found one to be successful for yourselves? Because I find when I have tried this before, the whole problem was that I wasnt organised enough, and ended up being unprepared at meal times and having to just eat junk! If I can plan out what I want to eat each day then maybe it will be easier...!
    I've used my rep today but I will rep tomorrow if somebody can recommend a good plan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    Hi guys I wanted to start paying attention to my calorie intake, and starting a healthy eating plan...
    Just wondered if any of you knew of somewhere I could get a whole meal plan sorted out? Any of you that have found one to be successful for yourselves? Because I find when I have tried this before, the whole problem was that I wasnt organised enough, and ended up being unprepared at meal times and having to just eat junk! If I can plan out what I want to eat each day then maybe it will be easier...!
    I've used my rep today but I will rep tomorrow if somebody can recommend a good plan!
    Why not create one yourself? Your problem seems to be that you didn't have one at all before, not that it wasn't good enough. It will probably work better if it is comprised of the healthier meals you like, cause then you'll enjoy what you're eating.

Are you planning on being sensible? i.e. eating normal dinners that aren't very fatty but cutting out snacks. Or are you planning on being ultra-healthy i.e. eating salads and avoiding carby dinners?

Off the top of my head, some dishes you could try to work into your plan include:

stirfry with noodles (buy some peppers, carrots, brocoli, mushrooms etc and soya sauce - simple and healthy). If you don't like cooking you can buy pre-made packs for as little as £1 then just toss them in a wok for 4 mins. Ditto with ready-to-pan noodles.

Chili dish (healthier with vegetarian quorn rather than meat mince) with kidney beans for protein.

Vegetable soup - literally just cook some carrots/potatoes/leeks/parsnips/onion etc in butter, add veg stock and leave. Very simple, very healthy. Equally, you can get those little cartons of soup in supermarkets for £1 that you microwave/heat on the hob for 5 mins. They cost £1 and are healthy & quick plus have a really long sell-by date and several flavours, so why not buy a lot for when you can't be bothered to cook? Or you could try eating soup (good in winter!) at lunch every day, or maybe at least 2 times a week in the evening or something.

The supermarkets always have healthy ready-meal ranges where a microwavable low-calorie meal (e.g. lasagne) costs about £1.50 - you can get those & freeze them for when you're feeling lazy.

Roast vegetables (cut, drizzle with oil, oven-cook for an hour, add some nice haloumi cheese at end).

Basically... get fresh veg in for cooking and get some long-term freezable cheap healthy dishes in for when you're feeling lazy as that means you always have something healthy there.

You don't need to eat the same thing every night, just make sure nothing is ridiculously fatty.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get a recipe book with easy, healthy meals in. Choose what you'd like to eat over the course of the week and make a shopping list so you have all the ingredients ready. Whenever you think "hmm I'll skip tonight's meal and get a takeaway instead", do not do it. Stick to your plan. And breakfast could be anything from porridge (but don't put too much sugar in) with a piece of fruit to a healthy muesli or wholegrain bread.
    For lunch, a sandwich or a soup (like the one McCoy suggested) would be good. And if you ever feel like eating chocolate, take one with a high cocoa-content. You can't eat it as fast as milk chocolate and it's healthier.

I've never been on a diet but that's probably what I'd do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    I find if you just stick to a calorie limit per meal is alot easier and more manageble. i stuck to 500 calories per meal so 1500 a day all summer last year and lost 3 stone.

Remember to count your drinking calories (fruit juice is bad)

ReputationRep:
    I would personally just focus on eating more fruit and veg. If you have a slow cooker, prepare a casserole or stew the night before, and then put it on in the moring. By the time you get it, it will be cooked, so you don't have to do anything. Pasta is pretty quick and easy, and you can add chicken, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc to it. With each meal, make sure you have potatoes, meat/fish and veg. Another easy way is eating fruit as snacks, instead of chocolate/crisps.

I am trying to eat healthy at the moment. Everytime I want a snack, I grab a bunch of grapes instead. It's hard to do at first, but you get into a routine.

Also, try to eat regular meals and fit them around your daily routine. For example, I am out of the house at 7.10am. When I come back at 8.45am, I make my breakfast. Then after my shift at 12.00-1.30pm, I have my luch. I then have a shift/voluntary work until around 8ish, so I have my tea then. As they are regular, I have found I am less likely to snack throughout the day.

You could also plan your meals for the next week, and when you go shopping, buy just them items. That way, you won't have any unhealthy foods, or any chocolate, etc. If it's not there, you are less likely to want it.

I find keeping a food dairy helps aswell. I write down everything I have eaten that day, and weigh myself and record it once a week aswell. That way, I can see my good and bad weeks. You also feel a bit guilty writing down the bad stuff you have eaten, and it makes you think twice about eating them next time.

ReputationRep:
    Meal plans are boring, and annoying. You'll get tired of following a plan and then you'll go back to bad eating. They obviously work for some people, as evidenced in this thread, but not for all.

Just keep your fridge and cupboard stocked with a little variety of fruits and especially veg (very versatile), along with some meat, like chicken. You don't really have to spend a lot. Learn a few basic recipes (it's not nearly as daunting as you think) and you're set for life.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all so much for the advice..! I really dont mind cooking, I enjoy it actually, especially cooking new things so it's not a problem. I do obviously have the odd lazy day, and thats where I lapse and end up ordering out! Baddd!!! The only thing I have trouble with is knowing the exact calorie content of a complete meal cos it means you have to measure bloody everything and work out the calories in every specific bit! But instead of being obsessive like that, I spose I will just try and be sensible and cut out the fatty stuff and snacks..I don't really need to lose a lot of weight, maybe only half a stone, but it's more about healthy eating and lifestyle!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.