Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So there's a guy at work who's asked me if I want to go out on a date sometime. I do like the guy but he's 22 and I'm 17; I'm in Year 12 and he finished uni last year so I said that I thought he was too old. Except, now, I kind of think I like him so what do I do? I still think he's too old but I've kind of got the mindset that I should give us a chance. I'm pretty sure my Mum would hate it if she found out as the age difference seems huge, and, even though he's got a Maths degree, the only thing he does is work part-time. And it's in a supermarket. Well now I sound snobby but that's not the real issue. Is 5 years too big an age gap?

ReputationRep:
    i would say no
    but every1 has a different opinion about age gaps

ReputationRep:
    You're both over 16, so thats one issue out of the way...

So, if you like him and he likes you, then go for it

ReputationRep:
    Nope, 5 years is fine to me

ReputationRep:
    5 years doesn't sound like that much of an age gap to me.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't but up to you really, it's all legal .etc.

ReputationRep:
    as long as he doesnt look like he could be your dad, go fo it lol...

ReputationRep:
    The age difference I think is perfectly fine, its the fact you are at very different stages in life that I think it gets a bit more tricky.

ReputationRep:
    Nah the age gap is fine.... if you like him enough go for it. He would be mature-er too (hopefully)

Double Agent had a good point though..Uni stress can put strain on a relationship if its not a serious one..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    The age difference I think is perfectly fine, its the fact you are at very different stages in life that I think it gets a bit more tricky.
    Agreed, it'd be weird if you're at sixth form and he's got a job.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say the age was much of a problem. Maybe look at it like this, he'll be 28 when you're 23.

This.

No harm in going on a date with him though and seeing how it goes? You don't have to commit yourself to a relationship, just go for a coffee or something, get to know him outside of work then you can decide if you want to actually start a relationship with him or just have a casual date (or 2) and leave it.

That was my main concern :/ It was the reason I gave for turning him down, I mean we're both equal at work but I don't if it'd be different when he has all this free time during the day and I'm at college and then I'll be going to uni next year :/

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is 29 and i've only just turned 18. Other people have a problem with it at times but we dont, as long as your mature enough to deal with it you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you each wants from your relationship. He might want a full-blown adult one with a future whereas you might want a teenage one where you can go on a break everytime you have exams. The actual age difference seems bridgable but you might want to consider any difference in maturity.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it Same gap as me and my b/f
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    The age gap is fine. I was 17 and my husband was 24 when we first started dating.

I'm now 26 and he's 33 and we're married with 3 kids.

ReputationRep:
    LOL. This wasn't what i expected when i opened the thread. 5 years is nothing! I'm seeing a man who is 19 years older.

If you like him, just go for it. Forget about the age. You can deal with any 'problems' if and when they arise.

Life's short. Age is just a number. Yaddy yaddy ya...

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and my boyfriend is just about to turn 28, and we've been together for just over a year. We're of a very similar mindset and the age gap has never bothered either one of us, and I barely ever think about it. My parents seemed a little confused at first why I woul go for someone so much older, but they understood once they met him. As long as neither of you are bothered by it, then try it out and see.

Go for it, when I was 17 my boyfriend was 22 and it wasn't a problem, we're still together three years later

Just be prepared for people singing this at you..
    http://www.lyricstime.com/the-pigeon...ck-lyrics.html
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    go for it!!!! when i was 17 i was with a 24 year old, he was like so mature and treated me nicer then a lot of younger guys....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.