Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm looking to do a post-grad course, and my first point of call is the Careers Development Loan. The problem is, my course starts on the 2nd of Feb, so I have just under 2 weeks, and I have heard horror stories of this taking longer than that.

I notice a lot of loans (although not necessarily student-oriented ones) you can apply for online in a matter of hours, and it might come to this as a worst-case scenario.

Do you know of any good ones out there? Any banks that are better than others, especially when it comes to applying for a loan as a student and not a home owner or fully employed person?

Thanks for any help,

Mike

ReputationRep:
    You could try applying for a graduate loan. You might also get better rates if you have a graduate bank account with the loan issuer.

ReputationRep:
    I believe with a graduate loan you are only eligable for them if you have a job or job offer. Its not for study but after you graduate. I applied for one with Barclays and required evidence that i have a job or job offer.
    For studying i guess a personal loan is the only other option apart from a CDL.
    Ask your own bank as you'll have more chance with them and apply for the CDL anyway as they can be quick to process and you can apply to them over the phone.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll give the CDL a call tomorrow, but will still keep my eyes peeled.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, this sounds a stupid question, but can you apply for a Career Development Loan in Barclays itself?

I only ask because on the website, it mentions for things like the graduate loan that you can apply in branch, but it doesn't for the CDL.

It might be better to go in person, because I need to provide proof of my application.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.