The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

The Portsmouth FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Jack what year are you in and what do you study?
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
I don't understand everyone's fascination with Spoon's when Fleet is just around the corner and stella is only 5p more than a pint of fosters is at Spoons (Mon-Thurs).

Drift bar is good, but wallet abusingly expensive at weekends, and weekends is only when they do the DJ competitions. You most definitely have to be pished before you get there.

HKC's is OK, they do a shot of something stupid for like £12 or something, but pints are £2.50ish and you get some nice girls in there. Only ever been in there for an hour or so before moving on.

Chicago's is like the Southsea version of Flares. Dirty dirty hags inhabit this place on non student nights.

Anybody else been to Lush by complete accident? It's the shady club next to Time. You wouldn't catch me going in there again even if it was the last place serving booze.
Reply 42
I thought CityWide did taxis by the mile too... if you called them that is...
Reply 43
TomInPortsmouth
I don't understand everyone's fascination with Spoon's when Fleet is just around the corner and stella is only 5p more than a pint of fosters is at Spoons (Mon-Thurs).

Drift bar is good, but wallet abusingly expensive at weekends, and weekends is only when they do the DJ competitions. You most definitely have to be pished before you get there.

HKC's is OK, they do a shot of something stupid for like £12 or something, but pints are £2.50ish and you get some nice girls in there. Only ever been in there for an hour or so before moving on.

Chicago's is like the Southsea version of Flares. Dirty dirty hags inhabit this place on non student nights.

Anybody else been to Lush by complete accident? It's the shady club nextto Time. You wouldn't catch me going in there again even if it was the last place serving booze.

Yeah i hear you on some of that. But in my opinion...

Theres nothing better then going into Spoons, daytime or night. Sitting on one of those leather chairs (although, they're non-smoking. Bit of a bugger for a few people i know). And just relaxing before you hit a club.

I tend to not really bother with prices, stupid i know. But i'd rather be caring about the girl standing the other side of the bar or having a good times with my mates. Maybe why I end up spending so much at times lol

Fleet is pretty good, i forgot all about it. Never really went there that often though. Wooden garden style tables arnt really my thing! but it is cheap and the food there is pretty good too.

Drift bar, thats the bar thats pretty narrow right? next too the hogs head? (or is my memory dieing?). If so, yeah its pretty expensive but its a pretty cool place to go, pretty mellow and laid back. AND the best part, is the toilets! They have a giant water feature in the toilets.

First time ive possed and taken pictures inside the mens toilets!

Nar I never went to lush, i heard it was full of chavs.

Route66, not sure what your opinions of this place were. But, i went there twice and never went again. I cant stand the place. Its pretty cheap, but it looks cheap and like flares attracts the wrong kinds of people. If you enjoy listening to Brian Adams - Summer of 69 on constant repeat. This is for you.

Bar ME, i could go on for days about how awful this place is. Avoid it like STDs. Although, they do these £5 WKD (mainly ice) bottles. Which double up perfectly as a "tool" to smoke illegal substances with. If that’s your thing, be sure to buy a few of those bottles.

James Watson Damage & The Maids

We had a constant battle all last year with damages & our maids. To be fair, at times we were way out of line, and a few people in other flats / floors we knew were nearly thrown out. But, if you're going to get drunk to the stage you start damaging roof tiles, pulling down our kitchen roof, breaking all the chairs and having food fights in your kitchen & floor halls. DO THE SENSIBLE THING & CLEAN IT UP BEFORE THE MORNING!!

The maids had a grudge against us from the word go, literally the first morning there. These people are your life line at times. A few people i know, always kept there place tidy & kept the maids sweet. In return, the maids cleaned their entire flat, week in week out when they had spare time. They cleaned their oven, cleaned the floor, even at one point cleaned the windows.

All we got, is every 3 days or so was a stack full of black bags (so they didn’t have to come in everyday) and a letter of warning every other day. When it comes to rubbish bags etc, they had no tolerance what so ever and fined us instantly. Be nice to them & respect them. They will respect you back. (They're nice ladies too, good to chat too. Treat them as real people not just "cleaners". They'll love you for it.)

Another tip, if you're going to go to France and stock up on cheap alcohol. DONT UNLOAD the contents of such a trip in front of the halls in one go. Before the car had pulled up, the halls managers were there instantly. Investigating & Questioning.

In other words, as soon as the halls management see things they don’t like, if anything goes wrong that night or even that week. You'll be the prime suspects (they ask for your StudentID & Room numbers etc) don’t try and make one up either lol, they're better at keeping a straight face then you are. Keep a low profile with the management.
Reply 44
Don’t believe CityWide do, Last I heard it was only Aqua Taxis, which are one of the only major firms who don’t hang about at pickup points either (unless there customers haven’t shown). I could be wrong though.
Reply 45
JackD
Don’t believe CityWide do, Last I heard it was only Aqua Taxis, which are one of the only major firms who don’t hang about at pickup points either (unless there customers haven’t shown). I could be wrong though.

Ill pay more attention when i get in a cab... i just tend to pay :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I work with the halls management team and the cleaning ladies at the moment. Can't believe that these were the people I feared last year as it was always bad news when they got in contact with you but now I know some of them really well and they have the best stories to tell. They have literally been there done it, and see the same things ahppen every year!
Reply 47
This seems a little away from what else this FAQ is about, but Dentists in Portsmouth. I know where I live finding an NHS dentist is really really hard, and after having a check up today (in a private practise, which I luckily have mummy and daddy pay for) and costs far too much... So...!? They as difficult to come by in Portsmouth?
Reply 48
I couldnt find one so i had to keep mine back home :frown:
Reply 49
I haven't ever had to go see a dentist in an "emergency" (like really bad toothache or something) have you? What do you do if you don't have a dentist near by? Hmm. This all does sound very odd to me, but it just popped into my head earlier... Also, as my dad pointed out, with Wales being so much different to England with things like prescriptions (apparently theyre eventually going to be free here?) will I be able to just go home and see my doctor here for stuff like that?! Or is that cheating a bit..?
Reply 50
Well i just arrange my check ups for when i can go home, but there are always emergency dentists about. Doctors, well i have one down here but never seen them...
i have already had to book in advance dates i have to see my dentist during holiday times
Reply 52
piiiink
This seems a little away from what else this FAQ is about, but Dentists in Portsmouth. I know where I live finding an NHS dentist is really really hard, and after having a check up today (in a private practise, which I luckily have mummy and daddy pay for) and costs far too much... So...!? They as difficult to come by in Portsmouth?

Oh dear Lord - It's easier to turn water into wine than find a dentist in Portsmouth! :eek:

I chipped my tooth around April time and having not seen a dentist in the last decade, I was at a bit of a loss as to wear to go to get myself checked out. Pretty much all the dental practices weren't accepting NHS patients in Portsmouth - I finally found one in Cosham that accepted me, but they filled up pretty quickly and I had to wait a fortnight before I could get an appointment..

But it's like that everywhere - not just in Pompey.
Reply 54
Most people register with a doctor but don't bother with a dentist. You'll regret it if you ever need to see a dentist though..
Reply 55
when you register for the doctor in the first few weeks, they ask you ur weekly booze consumption in units...bit stupid after freshers week really, as they look at u with some intense disgust when ur honest...
lol, uncountable.
Dave_p
when you register for the doctor in the first few weeks, they ask you ur weekly booze consumption in units...bit stupid after freshers week really, as they look at u with some intense disgust when ur honest...

Lol I didn't register with a Dr until I needed my stitches removed.
Reply 58
none of the nurses were ne gd neway..
Reply 59
Will I need to take anything in order to register with a Doctor? Would I have to see my Doctor here to tell him I'm moving?
(I usually have to see the Doctor every couple of months so don't fancy travelling home to see one)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending