Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Suitable A-levels for studying law at Oxford/Cambridge in the future. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my GCSEs this year, so I'm choosing A-levels now. I'm fairly certain that I'd like to persue a career in law, or at least study law at university, and I'd love to get a place at Oxford or Cambridge.
    I've already taken my french and maths GCSE early, and recieved my grades back (French - A* Maths- A (8 UCAS points from A*)).
    I was wondering is anyone could give me any advice on which A-levels would be appropriate to study?
    I was thinking English Lit&Lang, History, Economics, French.
    Any help would be very much appreciated :)

ReputationRep:
    Does your college/6th form offer law at A level?

ReputationRep:
    oxbridge like the academic subjects..
    maths
    history
    law
    French

ReputationRep:
    Take English Literature over Lit&Lang anyday. It's seen as more rigourously academic. Take French, as it might prove easy for you (if you're willing to learn all the vocab). Those choices do seem very solid, although I'd be tempted to take Maths over Economics (although Economics could be better, I'm not sure), or even take five ASs for Oxbridge if you think you can handle it.

ReputationRep:
    That's a fab combination. Do the subjects that you want to do, as long as they academic ones.

ReputationRep:
    Yes the college offers law at a-level but i've been advised not to take it, especially because you don't need it to do a law degree.
    I was thinking of maybe doing english literature instead of both combined, but I really love both and doing them combined is the only way for me to do both and keep the other options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollie1994)
    Yes the college offers law at a-level but i've been advised not to take it, especially because you don't need it to do a law degree.
    I was thinking of maybe doing english literature instead of both combined, but I really love both and doing them combined is the only way for me to do both and keep the other options.
    English Language at A-level is hugely different from GCSE. If you want the same thing as you're doing at GCSE right now, just take straight Literature rather than the combination. (Anyway, English Language is seen as soft by a lot of places...)

ReputationRep:
    yeah maybe english lit over combined and maths over economics just to be picky but solid choices
    dont take law alevel.

ReputationRep:
    english lit, history, maths, french - probably a better combination.

Though History is by no means easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catherinelove)
    oxbridge like the academic subjects..
    maths
    history
    law
    French
    dahh i took two out of those four, they must have just thought i was a big ****

ReputationRep:
    alright so english literature over combined.
    but i'm really not into maths, so I thought economics would be a good alternative? as opposed to doing nothing numerical.

ReputationRep:
    but i'm really not into maths, so I thought economics would be a good alternative? as opposed to doing nothing numerical.
    Economics would go great with your other subjects and if you'd prefer it, do it.

ReputationRep:
    They really don't care what you do so long as it's academic. Don't feel like you need to have a 'numerical' subject.

Just take something you enjoy and can get high marks in. If economics does that for you, do economics.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people advising the OP to take A Level maths when she didn't get A* at GCSE?

It's much better to apply with AAAA at AS (with economics for example) rather than AAAB with maths.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely agree with your choosing history. English Lit above language also seems sensible. I think that generally these sound like a good idea. Having looked at a lot of the content of the law courses (although I'm not actuallly doing it), it certainly doesn't look like it would be advantageous for you to take it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but A-Level law looks more like a memory test, rather than anything which makes you stand out as particularly intelligent. If I had to give any advice, though (and this time it actually is something I know about), choose your A2 study for History very wisely, and link it to what you want to do at university - perhaps (depending on exam board criteria, which will vary) a title like 'How significant were [a particular set of changes to legal structures] in the development of....' could work really well, and potentially impress the universities. The title I gave there was aimed at the OCR B-spec course, if anyone is bothered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chippyminton91)
    If I had to give any advice, though (and this time it actually is something I know about), choose your A2 study for History very wisely, and link it to what you want to do at university - perhaps (depending on exam board criteria, which will vary) a title like 'How significant were [a particular set of changes to legal structures] in the development of....' could work really well, and potentially impress the universities. The title I gave there was aimed at the OCR B-spec course, if anyone is bothered.
    This advice was very helpful, I'll be sure to remember it

ReputationRep:
    Yes the college offers law at a-level but i've been advised not to take it.
    That's a myth about it hindering your University chances. My college produces a few people every year who go to do Law at Oxbridge, and they all did Law at A Level.

However, you're perfectly fine to get in without it, as it's a bit of an easy subject anyway, but it doesn't harm your chances.

ReputationRep:
    This advice was very helpful, I'll be sure to remember it
    Thanks, it's always nice when people appreciate things you've said! I would like you to note that although I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to A-Levels; I failed to get in to Oxford this year, so although that doesn't mean I'm hopeless, it does mean that other people are likely to know better than me!

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what you think about my choices for oxbridge law: (predicted AS grades)
    Maths A
    Economics A
    English Literature A
    Physics A
    Extended project qualification A* (equivalent to an AS but includes A* grade)
    Further Maths A (which I'm doing out side of school)
    I'm a bit worried about not doing history, or a language. Do you think it will be ok. And if I do not get a good grade in the further maths will it matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty28)
    I was wondering what you think about my choices for oxbridge law: (predicted AS grades)
    Maths A
    Economics A
    English Literature A
    Physics A
    Extended project qualification A* (equivalent to an AS but includes A* grade)
    Further Maths A (which I'm doing out side of school)
    I'm a bit worried about not doing history, or a language. Do you think it will be ok. And if I do not get a good grade in the further maths will it matter.
    As far as Oxford is concerned: Those A-levels are fine. You don't need to worry about not doing history or a language (unless you want to apply for the Law with Law Studies in Europe course); any subjects are OK for law (General Studies doesn't count). Oxford offers are always 3 A-levels only so it won't matter what you get in further maths.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.