Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have decided on my insurance offer to study Biomedical science in 2010- but am stuck on my firm!

It's between Warwick- (It's ranked high academically and loved the campus and structure of the course as its not accredited but far from home and I have no idea what the surrounding areas are like?? Plus I didn't fall in love with accommodation as I did with Sussex)...

...Southampton - (perfect distance from home and loved the look of the uni when I visited- loved one set of halls but not so keen on the other- love the fact it’s in the country)...

...and Sussex- (fairly far from home but not too bad- I love the area and uni accommodation but not so sure about the uni itself?)

I'm hoping to go on to do graduate medicine- where do you recommend I choose considering I have the same offer from each uni? I have seen each university once but don't know anything about the surrounding areas!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Warwick. I have a few friends who do Biomed and they all really enjoy it. Plus imo so long as there's nothing that you can't live with and be fine with, the course structure and stuff has got to be your primary concern cos you're studying it for three years (or more...) and you don't want to hate it for three years!

Don't worry about the accommodation from an aesthetics point of view or anything like that - I moved in and thought '....oh ' to myself because it seemed a bit scummy around the edges but once you make it your own and bond with the people you're living with it really does not matter a bit. You don't need to love halls since you'll live there for one year, maybe two if you choose to move back to campus for final year. It's the experience anyway, not whether you have modern furniture and a dishwasher

Surrounding areas - Coventry and Leamington Spa. Coventry is a bit of a grotty city but it's got some reasonable shops, cinema complex thing, clubs, ice rink... Central Leamington is very pretty (the Parade is high white buildings which remind me of Bath) and has 'higher end' shops when compared to Coventry. There's pretty much plenty to do in both cities. Then of course you've got Birmingham which is 20mins on the train from Coventry station. And if you want smaller places there's Warwick itself (cos obviously the uni is actually in Cov, not Warwick...) and Kenilworth.

Of course I know nothing about Southampton or Sussex....

ReputationRep:
    I cannot help you much.

I just know 2 things: Warwick has a GREAT rep.
    My cousin is in her first year at Sussex and as far as I heard, she doesn't like it at all. She said that the people are ALL always bombed out of their minds on Cannabis and Ketamine or drunk.

I can't say much, I just heard that Sussex isn't too nice a place.

ReputationRep:
    You've got loads of time to decide yet. Go visit Sussex if you havn't already, it'll help you make your mind up.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton accommodation is decidedly variable in my experience (used to live there).
    Sussex is generally lovely, hasn't got quite the rep of Warwick. I applied but turned it down last year.
    Warwick is generally lovely, I just didn't quite feel right about it. Of course very highly respected. I'd recommend Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    i would also selected warwick. i really feel in love with it when i saw it

ReputationRep:
    go for southampton, nice city, good nightlife and probably the most prestigous out of the 3 unis. i wouldn't worry too much about accomodation, you can indicate a preference on your application form and you'll only be there for a year anyway

warwick is in the middle of no where (to be more specific, on the edge of coventry which has no night life whatsoever), i've heard of loads of people feeling really calustrophobic (sorry can't spell) on campus,

ReputationRep:
    Ive just accepted Southampton as my insurance for Biochemistry and it looks good all over. nothing amazingly spectacular but no complaints.
    (Original post by ferdi.g)
    She said that the people are ALL always bombed out of their minds on Cannabis and Ketamine or drunk.
    Maybe i should have gone for Sussex instead! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Mime)
    You've got loads of time to decide yet. Go visit Sussex if you havn't already, it'll help you make your mind up.
    It's probably a really stupid question but do we have to put our firm choice down before applying for accommodation? I was hoping to apply for it fairly early so i'm happy with where i'm staying-- but don't want to put my firm down until i've had my january results back?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jl789)
    It's probably a really stupid question but do we have to put our firm choice down before applying for accommodation? I was hoping to apply for it fairly early so i'm happy with where i'm staying-- but don't want to put my firm down until i've had my january results back?!
    Most (if not all) universities will only let you choose accommodation if you put them down as a firm choice. You don't have the option to apply for accommodation before then. There is no rush, they may not even know what they have available to offer you yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Most (if not all) universities will only let you choose accommodation if you put them down as a firm choice. You don't have the option to apply for accommodation before then. There is no rush, they may not even know what they have available to offer you yet.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go for Warwick, Sussex just isn't in the same league, and although Southampton's good, Warwick pips it to the post. Plus everyone I know at Warwick has had a great time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heeheehee_ha)
    warwick is in the middle of no where (to be more specific, on the edge of coventry which has no night life whatsoever), i've heard of loads of people feeling really calustrophobic (sorry can't spell) on campus,
    Uhhh no it's really not in the middle of nowhere. I live in a tiny place in Cumbria, now that's in the middle of nowhere. Warwick's campus has buses running through it all the time that go to Cov and Leam in next to no time. Plus it does have some pretty alright nightlife (Kasbah!!! also loads of gigs and open mic nights and stuff go on if you're not into clubbing) and if you're feeling claustrophobic...just get on a bus and/or train for a daytrip. Not hard.

ReputationRep:
    One thing you want to look at if you're studying Biomedical Science is whether the course is accredited by the IBMS (institute of biomedical science) and the HPC (health professions council). I've been doing my research because I am considering going to Warwick University to study biomed. I'm currently at Coventry uni and have automatic progression onto biomedical science there. On the league tables Coventry uni is 71st and Warwick at 6th. But the course at Coventry is accredited by the HPC and IBMS. This is the major thing making me want to stay at Coventry because after I've finished my degree I can start working in a hospital lab or wherever I decide to work without any further education. If I study at Warwick however, because the course isn't accredited, I will have to get my accreditation status with the IBMS before I can start working in a lab, and this will take somewhere between 12-18 months and have all my modules assessed at about £400 per module according to the IBMS chappy I spoke to the other day.

So take that into account when deciding between Warwick Sussex and Southampton

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.