Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Destroying speed cameras Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you destroy a speed camera?
    Yes, and I have already done so.
    0.65%
    Yes, if I were not going to get caught.
    26.80%
    No, but I would support anyone who chooses to do so.
    18.95%
    No, but I wouldn't call the police if I saw someone doing it.
    33.99%
    No, and I would call the police if I saw someone doing it.
    19.61%

ReputationRep:
    What is your opinion on destroying speed cameras? Perhaps with a petrol doused tyre and a match. For the sake of argument, let's say that no other property gets damaged and no one gets hurt.

I'm not talking about the ones in schools. I mean ones in 70mph limits, or in the middle of nowhere, where it could be argued that it is perfectly safe to exceed the speed limit.

ReputationRep:
    destroy!

ReputationRep:
    like this?:awesome:
    http://www.speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    like this?:awesome:
    http://www.speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm
    Precisely Incidentally, you were in the year above me at PGS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    Precisely Incidentally, you were in the year above me at PGS.
    i was going to say did you go to poole grammar, i recognise your username from wikipedia edits you have made:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Speeding should be like other crimes, where it's okay to do them as long as you don't get caught. It isn't fair that you can get fined for breaking the law if you *really* want to!

ReputationRep:
    break them all down i got £70 speeding ticket. for got 40mph in a 30mph zone.

ReputationRep:
    There was one near my old house that would get chopped down every couple of months but they kept putting it back everytime. Eventually the council gave up but they must have replaced it a good 6 or 7 times.

I wish I had the balls to take an axe to one, they don't save lives, they're just a money making tool.

ReputationRep:
    No government has the right to tell me how fast I can drive my car, I fully endorse any and all destruction of the governments public survellance equipment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    I wish I had the balls to take an axe to one, they don't save lives, they're just a money making tool.
    Indeed. The portion of my driving in which I am least focussed on the road ahead is the portion where I'm going through a speed camera area and have my eye constantly on the speedo.

If somebody runs out in front of me when I'm going over the limit, I have more chance of avoiding an accident than if they run out in front of me while I'm going through a speed camera zone below the speed limit. Fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dring)
    I agree. Speeding should be like other crimes, where it's okay to do them as long as you don't get caught. It isn't fair that you can get fined for breaking the law if you *really* want to!
    Another sarcastic idiot who thinks that the 'law is the law, and it doesn't matter why it's there, it only mattes that you never break it'.

In the case of speed cameras, there is very little justification to the claim that they are effective in reducing accidents due to speeding. In fact, rather a large justification can be made for the claim that they make roads less safe.

And an even larger justification can be given to the claim that most 'speeding' by the standards of the police is no danger whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    If you speed it's your own fault. They don't hide speed cameras (or at least they're not meant to) and give you the necessary signs.

If you destroy them it'll just cost you, the taxpayer, more to fix/replace them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victor_b1992)
    break them all down i got £70 speeding ticket. for got 40mph in a 30mpg zone.

I realise that's a typo, but I quite like the idea of a zone where your vehicle may do no more than 30 miles per gallon. It would certainly be novel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    What is your opinion on destroying speed cameras? Perhaps with a petrol doused tyre and a match. For the sake of argument, let's say that no other property gets damaged and no one gets hurt.

I'm not talking about the ones in schools. I mean ones in 70mph limits, or in the middle of nowhere, where it could be argued that it is perfectly safe to exceed the speed limit.
    Thanks for the petty, sexist neg saying 'Typical female - wrong.', it's guys like you who make this country awful.

I hope you get caught. And banned from driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    I realise that's a typo, but I quite like the idea of a zone where your vehicle may do no more than 30 miles per gallon. It would certainly be novel.
    yh what was a typo sorry man. iam going to edit it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    I'd give it 5 years, in some way shape or form it's likely to be introduced.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Thanks for the petty, sexist neg saying 'Typical female - wrong.', it's guys like you who make this country awful.

No problem Thanks for caring about my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acp11)
    I'd give it 5 years, in some way shape or form it's likely to be introduced.:woo:
    No, I mean vehicles that are more efficient than 30mpg wouldn't be allowed in. Like a special zone for 4x4s and other cars with big engines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Another sarcastic idiot who thinks that the 'law is the law, and it doesn't matter why it's there, it only mattes that you never break it'.

In the case of speed cameras, there is very little justification to the claim that they are effective in reducing accidents due to speeding. In fact, rather a large justification can be made for the claim that they make roads less safe.

And an even larger justification can be given to the claim that most 'speeding' by the standards of the police is no danger whatsoever.
    The ability of a population to fight against an unjust law is clearly important. On the other hand, I don't care that you want to go REALLY FAST. Frankly, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable law, and I'm quite happy for the government to take money from other people doing stupid things. It gives them less time to take money from me

You can justify what you like, have fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)

:rofl: owned.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.