Turn on thread page Beta

Destroying speed cameras watch

• View Poll Results: Would you destroy a speed camera?
    Yes, and I have already done so.
    0.65%
    Yes, if I were not going to get caught.
    26.80%
    No, but I would support anyone who chooses to do so.
    18.95%
    No, but I wouldn't call the police if I saw someone doing it.
    33.99%
    No, and I would call the police if I saw someone doing it.
    19.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Disregard the speeding argument for one second.

The government owns the roads? They can set all the rules they like? How incredibly depressing. With an attitude like that, is it any wonder we're becoming an ever more authoritarian state with fewer and fewer civil liberties? Government owning the roads indeed...
    And bar posting on TSR, you oppose this how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Sadly, that's not how a democracy works . I hope you get caught, and in time you will. People like you pay for better roads for people like me, so thank you.
    I hate democracies, majorities tend to be such petty people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuppie20)
    And bar posting on TSR, you oppose this how?
    I vote for the most libertarian, centre-right parties possible? Though many like to think otherwise, there's not really much more people can do to change things. What more should I be doing?

ReputationRep:
    There's a road where this speed camera is being burnt down at least once every 2-3 months. I 100% support it for this specific camera.

This specific road used to be 40mph, but they put in a bus lane and made it 30mph, which is fair enough, but the new speed limit signs are TINY and really high up. I was driving down the road once and the speed limit sign is small enough you have to be close to it, but so high you can't see it because the roof of the car is in the way. It's blatently the council trying to make money. I've never actually seen a bus use the road

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    I vote for the most libertarian, centre-right parties possible? Though many like to think otherwise, there's not really much more people can do to change things. What more should I be doing?

Don't complain and call it a step toward an authoritarian state if you do no more than vote libertarian. What you should do is not post about how outraged you are when you probably haven't even broken the speed limit.

Stupid ******* liberals, I'm sure you could be out rallying somewhere, or actually destroy a speed camera.

ReputationRep:
    Don't complain and call it a step toward an authoritarian state if you do no more than vote libertarian. What you should do is not post about how outraged you are when you probably haven't even broken the speed limit.

Stupid ******* liberals, I'm sure you could be out rallying somewhere, or actually destroy a speed camera.
    So much of that post didn't make sense.

How do you know if I've broken the speed limit?

What should I be doing to change things? Should I be out there destroying stuff, protesting on the streets, "fighting the power" and other such meaningless rhetoric? Because we both know that achieves **** all. The only way to change things in this country, is by voting. The only way to change the current state of affairs is by voting libertarian. To think otherwise is at best idealistic and at worst, delusional...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    So much of that post didn't make sense.

How do you know if I've broken the speed limit? What should I be doing to change things? Should I be out there destroying stuff, protesting on the streets, "fighting the power" and other such meaningless rhetoric? Because we both know that achieves **** all. The only way to change things in this country, is by voting. The only way to change the current state of affairs is by voting libertarian. To think otherwise is at best idealistic and at worst, delusional...

Oooooh you've broke the speed limit!

What do you mean it achieves **** all, it probably does achieve something. You would like to believe it achieved **** all wouldn't you. Nice excuse to be an armchair anarchist hippie douche.

I wasn't the one complaining in the first place; your vote counts for nothing. So either change the way you see our "authoritarian state", or get of you ass and wield a chainsaw or a liberal hippie douche propaganda leaflet.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I would destroy a speed camera given the circumstances in which it was put up are ridiculous.
    So that's almost every speed camera that's been put up.
    speedcam.co.uk is one of my favourite sites ever, too.

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh you've broke the speed limit!
    Never said that.

What do you mean it achieves **** all, it probably does achieve something. You would like to believe it achieved **** all wouldn't you. Nice excuse to be an armchair anarchist hippie douche.
    Honestly, fighting "the system" by rebelling and smashing stuff up achieves precisely sod all. But since you assert "it probably does achieve something" I'm supposed to take that as true?

You're just like those 'Climate Camp' folk. "We're going to make a difference!". No, you're going to do sweet FA.

Plus, when did libertarian equal anarchist? Also, hippies tend not to own Land Rovers and shotguns...

I wasn't the one complaining in the first place; your vote counts for nothing. So either change the way you see our "authoritarian state", or get of you ass and wield a chainsaw or a liberal hippie douche propaganda leaflet.
    No, votes count for something. Your meaningless anarchist rhetoric counts for nothing. You're free to borrow one of my many chainsaws to wield against the system...here's betting you've never done any such thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Never said that.

Honestly, fighting "the system" by rebelling and smashing stuff up achieves precisely sod all. But since you assert "it probably does achieve something" I'm supposed to take that as true?

You're just like those 'Climate Camp' folk. "We're going to make a difference!". No, you're going to do sweet FA.

Plus, when did libertarian equal anarchist? Also, hippies tend not to own Land Rovers and shotguns...

No, votes count for something. Your meaningless anarchist rhetoric counts for nothing. You're free to borrow one of my many chainsaws to wield against the system...here's betting you've never done any such thing?

Ok you claim action doesn't get anything done- I'm telling you posting on a forum and issuing a single vote isn't going to get anything done. What do you ******* liberals even want done? Whatever it is you're pissing in the wind. I'm not an anarchist at all; I would happily live in a totalitarian state just to watch the liberal hippie population suffer. It just annoys me the way armchair pundits express outrage at the steps that we're taking toward dictatorship, and their only response is to cast a vote, NICE!! bah!

ReputationRep:
    wellll.... they are there for a reason speed is a killer its dangerous so cameras should be there because obviously people wont stick to the speed limit
    on some motorways with average speed check i think there a bit useless but apart from that you deserve to get caught

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Ouch - that's some pretty lame rep. Sexism, yay! :rolleyes:

on topic, I don't like speeding, and don't see the need for it. The cameras will only cause you the slightest bit of trouble if you break the law by driving above the speed limit; for the rest of us, it helps keep the roads safer. Destroying them is obviously wrong.
    Think that's a bit of a simplistic viewpoint.Speeding is only one way in which you can drive dangerously I'm afraid and one which is not subjective hence all of the silly speed traps and cameras.How safe it is to go at a certain speed depends on traffic , road conditions etc at the time of driving.

Wouldn't personally destroy any speed cameras myself but I find it utterly hilarious to see a few burned out!

ReputationRep:
    I'd report to the police anyone I see doing so. You can drive as fast as you want on private land, where the only person you are at risk of killing is yourself. Speed cameras are essential.

Also you have to be a pretty crap driver to have to look at the speedo constantly to tell if you are over the limit or not. You obviously need more experience to see what 30 feels like. Also you should be glancing at the speedo when you are driving anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conroe-killed-the-k8-star)
    Think that's a bit of a simplistic viewpoint.Speeding is only one way in which you can drive dangerously I'm afraid and one which is not subjective hence all of the silly speed traps and cameras.How safe it is to go at a certain speed depends on traffic , road conditions etc at the time of driving.

Wouldn't personally destroy any speed cameras myself but I find it utterly hilarious to see a few burned out!
    I completely agree with what's in bold; other things such as using a mobile phone, drink driving, etc are also dangerous. These things are illegal and the people caught face significant punishment. Why shouldn't speeding?

I also agree that road conditions have an impact on the safe speed you can drive at, but the speed limits are a maximum speed. If it's icy, raining, etc then you should drive slower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    What is your opinion on destroying speed cameras? Perhaps with a petrol doused tyre and a match. For the sake of argument, let's say that no other property gets damaged and no one gets hurt.

I'm not talking about the ones in schools. I mean ones in 70mph limits, or in the middle of nowhere, where it could be argued that it is perfectly safe to exceed the speed limit.
    You got a speeding ticket didn't you ?

I'm not sure I'd support vandalising them but i'd definitely support their legal removal. Not all of them but I'd get rid of them on roads where a 70mph speed limit is seemingly ludicrous and leave the speed to driver discretion.

ReputationRep:
    Ok you claim action doesn't get anything done- I'm telling you posting on a forum and issuing a single vote isn't going to get anything done. What do you ******* liberals even want done? Whatever it is you're pissing in the wind. I'm not an anarchist at all; I would happily live in a totalitarian state just to watch the liberal hippie population suffer. It just annoys me the way armchair pundits express outrage at the steps that we're taking toward dictatorship, and their only response is to cast a vote, NICE!! bah!
    Look up 'liberal' in a dictionary. I am not a 'liberal' or a hippie by any measure.

The following are liberal points of view and my take on them:

Free Palestine? Sod 'em.
    Save the Environment? Not interested.
    United Europe? Bugger that.
    Aid to Africa? Not until everything in this country is sorted first. Until then, sort yourselves out.

See, not exactly liberal.

But....

I'm not about to go onto the streets and start rioting, 'cos I realise that doesn't solve anything. Ever. Voting in silence is infinitely more powerful than rioting and making a lot of noise...

ReputationRep:
    Psst, hey Sync.
    Stop feeding the troll.

ReputationRep:
    There's a speed camera on the main road near where I live that was burned down. It's since been replaced, and there are now (not kidding here) a half dozen CCTV cameras surrounding it. Only a fool (or perhaps a hoodie) would try and destroy that one

Unless you took out the CCTV first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    If somebody runs out in front of me when I'm going over the limit, I have more chance of avoiding an accident than if they run out in front of me while I'm going through a speed camera zone below the speed limit. Fact.
    Pretty big statement there...... so your saying you can avoid an accident better at 40 than 30. Please explain, with reference to physics and braking retardation. :rolleyes:

dont destroy them they will be replaced.
    paint the lens so no one notices its damaged

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.