Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/blog/archive/9/2009 For details of past EDL protests look at the September/October blogs.

From what I gather it was a ********* in Birmingham. It all depends, I would not suggest going into town that day personally.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...irmingham.html Birmingham
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...._in_manchester Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I witnessed the Nottingham march (along with the clash with an opposition march). It wasn't pretty. Loads of police! I think quite a few people were arrested. It just felt pointless and uncomfortable tbh and disrupted the city centre.
    If people want to protest peacefully they should be allowed. But they can't.

I was travelling through Nottingham on the day of the march. It was full of riot vans from Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, South Yorkshire, Leicestershire and Lincolnshire constabularies. Such a huge amount of money, resources and time needed for people who can't seem to get their views across without violence. It's a shame really.

They should ban the marches of the EDL and the UAF because they are as bad as each other and can't march without causing riots or wasting police time and money that could be better spent elsewhere. It's very unnecessary.

Anjem Choudary trying to march through a small village in rural Wiltshire didn't help either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    It was a horrible atmosphere. The only reason I was in town was to meet the missus and there were loads of rowdy football fans marching around too which didn't help.

I just find it crazy that there are people attracted to the EDL in a pluralist society - a country which grounded western democracy and endorsed it all over the world.

These people don't deserve the voice that democracy gives. I know that poses problems and it seems paradoxical to say "As long as you don't say all these things then say what you want" but democracy needs to be pragmatic and stamp out these *******.
    The EDL themselves have a lot of emphasis on anti-racism and anti-fascism. Though a lot of their members are also members of the BNP and they are growing support rapidly in the East Midlands.

The ideas of the group are nothing like that of the BNP. They are just a pressure group that fear the rise of immigration and oppose the threat of Islamic extremism to Britain, not a political party.

Also, UAF are wrong in targeting the EDL without targeting people like Anjem Choudary and Abu Hamza, who at the moment a much greater threat to society than the BNP and EDL combined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    The EDL themselves have a lot of emphasis on anti-racism and anti-fascism. Though a lot of their members are also members of the BNP and they are growing support rapidly in the East Midlands.

The ideas of the group are nothing like that of the BNP. They are just a pressure group that fear the rise of immigration and oppose the threat of Islamic extremism to Britain, not a political party.

Also, UAF are wrong in targeting the EDL without targeting people like Anjem Choudary and Abu Hamza, who at the moment a much greater threat to society than the BNP and EDL combined.

Yes I completely agree but what I'm saying is that it is just a sad state of affairs.
    We should not be arguing about ******** like this when cities like Haiti are in ruins and people are dying from starvation every second.
    We are searching for water on Mars but we can't ensure that everyone on our own planet has water. What the **** is going on?
    People should not be having to protest again fascism, it should just not be a ******* issue and at the same time people should be smart enough not to be preaching fundamental Islam.
    As a species, we should be over this.

RANT RANT RANT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    Yes I completely agree but what I'm saying is that it is just a sad state of affairs.
    We should not be arguing about ******** like this when cities like Haiti are in ruins and people are dying from starvation every second.
    We are searching for water on Mars but we can't ensure that everyone on our own planet has water. What the **** is going on?
    People should not be having to protest again fascism, it should just not be a ******* issue and at the same time people should be smart enough not to be preaching fundamental Islam.
    As a species, we should be over this.

RANT RANT RANT
    You're a bit extreme but I have to agree. It's all unnecessary and there are greater issues. Here we are worrying about the recession, how we may lose our jobs and what we will do when we graduate. But even in the worst case scenario, we will still have a roof over our heads or at least be kept alive by a welfare state should we ever need it. In Haiti, people have nothing.

ReputationRep:

I agree. The states principles of the EDF are fine, in not being racist, and I've had a look at EDF groups on facebook and seen non-whites expressing support, which is good. It is a shame, however, that some of the leading figures have far right backgrounds. What is really needed is a popular movement that says that the British people, regardless of their colour or race or religion, reject Anjem Choudary, Islam4UK and other Islamic extremists just as much as the BNP.

ReputationRep:
    yeah is happening in stoke aka hanley, we got email about it think said some of the members were football hooligans etc, they have caused damage to businesses and attacked people

it shouldn't be like anything in birmingham as they are a minority up stoke aka hanley whereas in birmingham white's are the minority, i can only think of one part of stoke which white's are a minority which is where the stoke campus of staffs uni is

so yeah maybe avoid going in on the day, maybe go to leek or somewhere else

don't see what good anti demonstrations demonstrations do they only just fuel the fire even more and is completely stupid, they basically giving them the attention that they want

ReputationRep:
    If people want to protest peacefully they should be allowed. But they can't.

I was travelling through Nottingham on the day of the march. It was full of riot vans from Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, South Yorkshire, Leicestershire and Lincolnshire constabularies. Such a huge amount of money, resources and time needed for people who can't seem to get their views across without violence. It's a shame really.

They should ban the marches of the EDL and the UAF because they are as bad as each other and can't march without causing riots or wasting police time and money that could be better spent elsewhere. It's very unnecessary.

Anjem Choudary trying to march through a small village in rural Wiltshire didn't help either.
    Yes, I agree. But like Ludwig said, you did get mindless racists joining in because it ended up being so messy [not the word I'm looking for, but I'm tired] because of the clashes and the football and it being a general Saturday. I hadn't heard much about the EDL, but on that day I didn't get the impression that they were non-racist. I've been informed since that they are though, which is interesting.

I agree as well. Pointless. It'd be better to print leaflets of their views and post them, although I suppose marching is cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuppie20)
    I have never seen an EDL march on Facebook, and neither have you.

I do no what liberal means, and can easily associate it with both hippies and douches. Hence, liberal hippie douche.

At the end of the day, if Nixon had his way hippies would have been exterminated, that includes such sub groups as the liberal hippie douche, the student liberal douche, the pointy toed student douche marauding around with a sign that cites come despairingly unwitty liberal douche slogan.

In no way do I endorse the EDL, but at least they're marching for something. Hippie Liberal's just get in the way and whine.
    yawwwwwwwwn.

i have seen many advertised on facebook, and indeed you clearly dont know hwat liberal means. you have spurned my many requests for a definition.

And your point about Nixon is......? so?

Truth be told, I am also irritated by crowds of young adults who have left home only recently. they are exposed to knowledge but instead of choosing to learn more about it, they hop on the first cause they can find (generalisation, im sure there are some students who genuinely believe in their cause.)

however your not much better, having learnt a word and continually using it in arrogance. Liberal does not mean **** or uncontrollably free. So stop using it in the wrong context you dinlow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eccentric)
    I just love the irony of the EDL marching for peace when they promote neo-nazi doctorines and in some of their media have lines saying how Hitler was god etc.

The EDL should just go back to sitting in their council houses and watch some day time tv while claiming benefits for a "bad back".
    Any EDL members reading this (who knows why educated people affiliate themselves with such inbred people) should go and do something constructive with their time instead of trying to be a strong political movement because in reality your just a joke that will not be remembered in years to come.
    You make us other British people look like sub human scum and frankly most of us are sick of you.

I will be going to the UAF counter march and if any of you EDL scum want trouble you can have it.
    Speak for yourself, the UAF and the EDL are just as bad as each other but at least the EDL have aims I can agree too. The majority of people see the UAF as absurd; they give the impression of supporting groups like Islam4UK while protesting against ‘fascists’ by calling for the ‘fascists’ to be exterminated which is fascist in itself. There just a bunch of worthless students who have nothing better to do who give the impression of hating there own country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az1992)
    yawwwwwwwwn.

i have seen many advertised on facebook, and indeed you clearly dont know hwat liberal means. you have spurned my many requests for a definition.

And your point about Nixon is......? so?

Truth be told, I am also irritated by crowds of young adults who have left home only recently. they are exposed to knowledge but instead of choosing to learn more about it, they hop on the first cause they can find (generalisation, im sure there are some students who genuinely believe in their cause.)

however your not much better, having learnt a word and continually using it in arrogance. Liberal does not mean **** or uncontrollably free. So stop using it in the wrong context you dinlow
    I do a lot better, thanks. All groups irritate me, no less the BNP than a group of pretentious hippie do-gooders, who don't really do anything. I will continue to associate these with liberals and will continue to vote raving loony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdRagThat)
    Do you really think they are going to be near the shopping centre? Are even going to notice you? I cant wait, lets ******* av it, if casuals united are going to be there its gona be rammed because stoke's firm is ****** massive at home, nvm other firms and the edl. im assuming ur on about hanley aswell?
    Everyone was locked in the potteries shopping centre because of it ... so yes, I think eventually they did protest near there.

Four assaults on police officers and two were hospitilized, fifteen arrests, damage to police vehicles ... was it really worth it?

The UAF, The EDL, it all just depressed me.

ReputationRep:
    This happened about two miles from my home. The first I heard of it was that schoolchildren were told not to go down to the town centre, that there was going to be a riot on Saturday. I didn't go, but nonetheless I'm glad that local people are standing up against Islamisation.
    The UAF seem to have been trying to provoke the EDF into violence and they succeeded, as riot police had to deal with it. The typical student protestors didn't do much for the image of the UAF as a bunch of traitors. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuppie20)
    Totally agree.

******* liberals. They still think they're the voice of the next generation or anti-conformist or some other BS. I'm going to set up an anti-students protest. We will be armed.
    So you hate protesters so much... you're having a protest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    So you hate protesters so much... you're having a protest.
    No, I hate student protesters. And I'm not having a protest, I'm having a bashing; you are welcome to join, I will pm you with details.

ReputationRep:
    Source?

The reason I ask is because the BNP expressly prohibits its members from joining the EDL.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.