Really interesting
    45.61%
    Just alright
    42.11%
    Dull and depressing, DON'T DO IT!
    12.28%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    the good stuff doesn't come until degree level.
    I'm still waiting.

(Admittedly I am getting onto the good stuff this term).

ReputationRep:
    dont do it! you will regret

ReputationRep:
    enjoying it a lot...think its decent...however have **** teachers and is therefore boring....until my friends spice up the lesson

ReputationRep:
    im really enjoying it especially forensic psychology
    AS wasnt to much of a problem but A2 just has so much to remeber that will be the only downfall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    It has really ruined Psychology in general for me
    Just read about it yourself, it'll be way more interesting, don't put yourself through two years of memorising mark schemes. Everytime I hear "AO1s" or "AO2s" I want to kill a kitten.
    I feel your pain. Everytime my teacher starts talking about AO1 I want to put her through a wall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I'm still waiting.

(Admittedly I am getting onto the good stuff this term).
    But..but I looked at syllabuses and they were gold :puppyeyes:
    Don't destroy my hopes

ReputationRep:
    Some of it is really interesting, other parts are sooo boring.
    If you can remember a load of information, dates and names. Then go for it, if I coud go back 2 years I wouldn't have taken it.
    I wish there was a bit of coursework involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma363)
    I've been asking a few people about psychology A level lately, and half the people say it's really interesting while others say it's depressing and dull.
    I know It's about how i'm gonna find it not other people but I thought it'd make a poll to decide once and for all:P
    I've found a lot of whether you enjoy it is down to the teacher. The subject is really interesting, but a decent psychology teacher is hard to find. Our one became seriously ill and we didn't have a qualified psychology teacher for the rest of the year, but everyone who bothered to do the work themselves got at least a C and most of the class (even people who barely paid attention but revised) got Bs and As.
    We had an amazing teacher at first who was really clear and concise - but now we've got an arse for A2 and it's just a pain having to teach yourself everything. Though, tbh, ki think where ever you're going will be waaay more organised than my sixth form :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuppie20)
    I wanted to do it when I was in year 11- then all the stupid fake tanned girls wanting to work in criminal psychology hopped on the bandwagon. Need I say more.
    baha, they're all doing the same at my school >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drops of Jupiter)
    I've found a lot of whether you enjoy it is down to the teacher. The subject is really interesting, but a decent psychology teacher is hard to find. Our one became seriously ill and we didn't have a qualified psychology teacher for the rest of the year, but everyone who bothered to do the work themselves got at least a C and most of the class (even people who barely paid attention but revised) got Bs and As.
    We had an amazing teacher at first who was really clear and concise - but now we've got an arse for A2 and it's just a pain having to teach yourself everything. Though, tbh, ki think where ever you're going will be waaay more organised than my sixth form :p:
    thanks for the info,
    I'm slightly concerned that I might not do as well as I could in psychology due to the fact I hate one of the teachers with a passion....
    but for now i'll hope I don't get her

ReputationRep:
    It's not too bad.
    Sometimes it's really interesting, but sometimes I feel like my head's gonna hit the table.

It's not too difficult, but there's a lot to learn.

ReputationRep:
    I like it Granted, AS was a bit boring at times but I'm really enjoying A2. For this unit we've done aggression, relationships and eating disorders Next unit we're doing schizophrenia aaand annoyingly, I can't remember what else!

ReputationRep:
    Seriously I know people have different views but just...don't do it. It is ****. Take it and you'll regret it, it's not interesting, it's a ****** specification when you memorise studies and famous psychologists and learn cliché **** like "chunking words helps you remember them better''...nah, really?! I can not wait to drop it after this year.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Depends on your syllabus, I find. I did AQA B and thought it was ok - wish we hadn't focused so much on child development though as I found it quite boring, but I really enjoyed learning about mood disorders and schizophrenia. For me it was more about producing a structured essay with relevant points rather than a memory test. It didn't matter if you couldn't remember names as long as you could at least outline studies and explain what it proves/disproves. You have to be good at linking things together to produce an A grade essay, IMO.

edit: I also find that it has a high drop out rate. At AS we had well over 100 people who wanted to take it and at A2 we had about 40 left.

ReputationRep:
    If you're with AQA then the beginning of the course (research methods) is massively boring but once you've learnt that, you have the framework to understand the subject better and comment on it meaning you're better able to learn the really interesting stuff about illness, conformity, abnormality, etc.

ReputationRep:
    hi guys im really stuck on what to dooo
    im in year 12 and just done jan as examss
    ive dont biology chemistry psychology nd sociology, they went ok but chemistry was realllly hard and i think ive failedd ! so if i drop that at the end of as then i;ll have psychology bio and socio left for A2.
    i dont know what careers or uni courses you can do with these subjects?? i was thinking something down the lines of biology and psychology but i don't know? im just confused loll
    can anyone give me advice or help?? thanksss x

ReputationRep:
    i find it interesting a lot of work though

ReputationRep:
    i really enjoy psychology i find the content really interesting, even though there's so much content to learn O_O I do AQA Spec B AS Level

ReputationRep:
    Isn't really interesting, it's just alright.

ReputationRep:
    I think its really interesting but if you have bad teachers, you're going to think its crap. (That happens with any subject though.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.