Turn on thread page Beta

Joint Honours watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    Okay so I have applied for Financial Mathematics this year and I have 5 offers at the moment.
    However, one of those offers is from Kingston which is for a joint honours degree, Financial Mathematics and Business.
    I am quite interested in the course but I'm not sure how the joint honours works. Do I get twice as many lectures and seminars? Almost as if I'm doing two separate degrees? Or is it structured together so that I have the same amount of work as everybody else?
    Do you think I would be better off going elsewhere to just study Financial Mathematics on its own?

Thanks everyone.

ReputationRep:
    You do exactly the same number of modules as a single honours degree. For joint it's 50:50 but you can do major/minor degrees which let you split it differently.

As for the last question, that's entirely up to you. You find the course more interesting than single honours courses? Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I got a joint honours offer from Kingston as well; it's politics and human geography. Don't know if I'll accept it or not, have to wait and see if Queen Mary makes me an offer for politics. If it does then I'm going to Q Mary defo!

Joint honours are not structured 50/50%, they're structured 75/75% so there's more work when you're doing joint honours.

Should you take it? I say it depends. Kingston is not exactly a GOOD uni so if the other unis that made you an offer are higher in the league tables you should accept one of those offers. If not, I think you should accept Kingston's offer. A joint honours degree gives you more opportunities...especially a business honour!

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.