Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can I apply for a course that requires 220 ucas points when I only have 200? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is there a chance of me stealing a place?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Billy_69)
    I'd suggest that you check with the universities first before doing this. If you don't meet their standard requirements, they could theoretically throw out your application without even looking at it, and that would be a waste of a choice on your UCAS form.

ReputationRep:
    Theres a chance they'll accept you, especially if you have experience related to the course.

ReputationRep:
    There is, because technically on your UCAS application, you don't have to put in your current grades, you can leave them as pending, and only enter your predicted. This way the uni's can only see those, and if they make the cut then you are more likely to receive an offer
    Then you could resit some to bump them up to 220 maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    I'd suggest that you check with the universities first before doing this. If you don't meet their standard requirements, they could theoretically throw out your application without even looking at it, and that would be a waste of a choice on your UCAS form.
    With 200 points I dont have many options and I want to get this done tonight because its late!

ReputationRep:
    As Hobnob said, best to check they won't automatically reject you. You might get lucky and get a place but it's bit of a gamble.

ReputationRep:
    With 200 points I dont have many options and I want to get this done tonight because its late!
    In that case, if you can't check in time whether they will reject you automatically, I advise you not to use more than a couple of choices on places asking for 220 points. Three at the absolute most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    In that case, if you can't check in time whether they will reject you automatically, I advise you not to use more than a couple of choices on places asking for 220 points. Three at the absolute most.
    Outstanding

ReputationRep:

you'll have a better chance with that if you wait till clearing

ReputationRep:
    by the way does anyone know how long it will take for my application to process? I mean does it go straight through as soon as you've posted it?

ReputationRep:
    by the way does anyone know how long it will take for my application to process? I mean does it go straight through as soon as you've posted it?
    As long as your referee has done their bit, then yes, pretty much.

If you're going to apply to places wanting 220 points, have two (maybe three) backups asking for 200 or less, or you seriously risk getting no offers at all.

ReputationRep:
    i would say go for it...i am predicted 240 points and the uni i really want to go to was asking 320 points, they have offered me 220. i have since been contacted by them saying i had a really good personal statement and enthusiasm for the course and that was what they were looking for. other qualities about you are just as important at grades. i maybe wouldnt suggest putting all 5 choices as it but i would say 2 or 3...but aim for the one you really want and tailor it more towards them. good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    As long as your referee has done their bit, then yes, pretty much.

If you're going to apply to places wanting 220 points, have two (maybe three) backups asking for 200 or less, or you seriously risk getting no offers at all.

Well my referee has sent me my reference and I just upload it right?

I hope so cos I havent slept and I dont feel like writing a personal statement right now thanks.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, and no offence intended but the universities requiring 220 points are hardly the ones with thousands of applications per place... they are likely to let pretty much all their applicants in really.

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult, because they could give you an lower offer based on your personal statement etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well my referee has sent me my reference and I just upload it right?

I hope so cos I havent slept and I dont feel like writing a personal statement right now thanks.

I think so, but to be honest I'm really not sure how it works when you're not applying directly through a school or college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diminutive)
    To be fair, and no offence intended but the universities requiring 220 points are hardly the ones with thousands of applications per place... they are likely to let pretty much all their applicants in really.
    Ha awesome

what about 240 points? They still pretty unpopular?

ReputationRep:
    I made a massive like, generalisation with that really. I say just go for it! I was told its best to do 2 universities that require a bit higher (like 20 to 40s), 2 universities that are bang on... and 2 universities that are a bit rubbish. I got 6 offers on that basis so it can be too bad a theory! I don't think I come anywhere what my current used offered... and then i missed the lowered offer they gave me anyway lol but still i'm here =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diminutive)
    I made a massive like, generalisation with that really. I say just go for it! I was told its best to do 2 universities that require a bit higher (like 20 to 40s), 2 universities that are bang on... and 2 universities that are a bit rubbish. I got 6 offers on that basis so it can be too bad a theory! I don't think I come anywhere what my current used offered... and then i missed the lowered offer they gave me anyway lol but still i'm here =D
    Alright thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Best thing to do is retake something to meet their requirements. Don't depend on fate and luck.. Coz it maybe that they would not even consider looking at your application.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.