The Student Room Group

Why in the UK is a life sentence, not for life?

I've just read this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1244825/He-perfect-neighbour-In-fact-sadistic-sex-killer--hellbent-making-victim.html

He'd brutally murdered and raped a widow and he was sent to prison for 16 years after receiving a life sentence. He then proceeded to attempt to murder another woman, who was only saved when her son came home from work.

I know that it's expensive to keep someone in prison, but this wasn't just a murder say in a fight or during an argument. He had stalked the first woman for weeks before mutilating, raping and killing her. Surely someone like this can never be expected to be able to function normally in a lawful society.

So do you think that a life sentence should be for life? Or do people like Mark Shirley deserve a second chance?

Scroll to see replies

I don't believe in rehabilitation.

I've yet to see any proper offender be rehabilitated.
If the life of one innocent person is saved by taking away second chances for murderers then it's worth it.
Reply 3
It's a life tariff which is an undetermined amount of time in prison. It does not mean prison for life, it means it COULD be for the rest of your life.
Why does the definition matter? If it wasn't called life, his sentence wouldn't be any higher.
Reply 5
If you are still believed to be a threat, you can actually be kept in prison for life but it's rare. Life isn't usually life mainly due to a lack of available prison space.
Reply 6
Because most people deserve a second chance
... because we're soft and British.
Reply 8
Hate to say it but the death sentence would solve the problem of prisoner expenses. Maybe this would lead to less "second chances" for people who deserve nothing more than a stake though their heart.
Reply 9
death sentence in very serious cases would definatly help in my opinion, we need to stop being so lenient
Because that would be too harsh some people who kill in a fit of rage etc maybe not in this case. I think it should be about 30 years minimum for cases like this. Calling it life is a propaganda thing which is largely meaningless and them trying to make themselves look harsher than they actually are.
I'd like to see him try that in a country which actually has some decent, strict punishments. If I were a monarch, I'd say "off with his head", personally.
Reply 12
Simple, britians too soft.
My opninon is if someone means to kill, they should be killed!
Reply 13
JW92
If you are still believed to be a threat, you can actually be kept in prison for life but it's rare. Life isn't usually life mainly due to a lack of available prison space.

troll.
Reply 14
Because we have a principle in our legal system that rehabilitation is possible. So although any murderer must pay a heavy price for his actions, in the very long term the aim is to allow them to return to society.
The best rated comment on that news page:

"Send him to Houston, TX here if you kill you are killed.
- Liz. R (ex.pat), Houston, TX, 21/1/2010 0:22"

Good idea :yep:
Reply 16
The thing is A 'life' sentence is about 7 years, and the Jury make the call of 'guilty' or 'not guilty' then the judge makes the decision on the length of the sentence (which as I said has to be a minimum of 7 years) based on how the crime was committed etc. The problem is depending on which judge you get when it comes to the trial, one could be alot harsher than another.

Its hard to call really on how this power of sentencing should be managed. But if you think about it 7 years is a long time to spend in one place. Not saying I approve of it, but it can be a significant amount of their lives taken up.
Reply 17
HDS

All prisons do is turn people even more crooked, i mean, just look at Andy Dufrais.
Reply 18
chiliman14
Because most people deserve a second chance

Even when they pose a risk to others? If someone takes away someone elses life do they deserve their freedom?
Reply 19
HDS

How many prisoners have you seen?
Do you make a point of going to see supposedly rehabilitated prisoners?

Latest

Trending

Trending