Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why in the UK is a life sentence, not for life? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bourney)
    All prisons do is turn people even more crooked, i mean, just look at Andy Dufrais.
    8)

On the death sentence subject - I believe it is not an option as long as there is a 100% chance that the defendent is guilty. There's too much uncertainty in the judicial system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    Because that would be too harsh some people who kill in a fit of rage etc maybe not in this case. I think it should be about 30 years minimum for cases like this. Calling it life is a propaganda thing which is largely meaningless and them trying to make themselves look harsher than they actually are.
    That's what I said originally, not for people who say kill their partner in a fight (terrible as it is) I believe that they can be rehabilitated. But his actions seem so alien and devious that I couldn't imagine anyone like him being able to behave normally.

In my opinion he is a psychopath because he seems unable to empathise so why would he ever view someone elses life as valuable?

(Original post by Yuppie20)
    How many prisoners have you seen?
    Do you make a point of going to see supposedly rehabilitated prisoners?

Seen enough.

No, I don't make a point of it but I've had friends who weren't....wholesome shall we say and I've met their 'rehabilitated' friends.

What about you? How many have you seen?

(Original post by HDS)
    I don't believe in rehabilitation.

I've yet to see any proper offender be rehabilitated.
    From, presumably, the vast experience you have in this field?

why is this in H&R :smokin:?

ReputationRep:
    Because we're soft, we're overcrowded and we dont have the death penalty... its just the way this country is!

ReputationRep:
    Humans are beasts leashed by the chains of the law.

ReputationRep:
    Cause this country is a joke?

ReputationRep:
    ...because prison doesn't work
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    And this is the basis of my modern studies dissertation x

ReputationRep:
    For all of those saying we're soft, we're not really. We have the strictest sentencing powers in Europe, and CAN actually impose a life sentence. In places like Austria or Belgium and most other EU nations, a life sentence is usually a fixed period of something between 15 and 30 years and cannot be higher.

ReputationRep:

looks like another 'horrific attack' in the making.

ReputationRep:
    The justice system in the UK is a joke. Did you read that article in the papers about releasing a load of criminals so they didn't have to build additional prisons. :mmm:

That guy who robbed the rich guy (who then got sent to prison for catching the criminal and dishing out a little justice of his own) had over 50 convictions. Wtf? Shows what a joke it really is. 3 strikes is where it's at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    That guy who robbed the rich guy (who then got sent to prison for catching the criminal and dishing out a little justice of his own) had over 50 convictions. Wtf? Shows what a joke it really is. 3 strikes is where it's at.
    That's worked really well in California, hasn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wahaaaay)
    Hate to say it but the death sentence would solve the problem of prisoner expenses. Maybe this would lead to less "second chances" for people who deserve nothing more than a stake though their heart.
    I'm pretty the death sentence costs nearly the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh User)
    It's a life tariff which is an undetermined amount of time in prison. It does not mean prison for life, it means it COULD be for the rest of your life.
    even if someone is paroled from a life sentence at their tariff point, or at a subsequent point, they remain on life licence and may be recalled to prison at any time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    The justice system in the UK is a joke. Did you read that article in the papers about releasing a load of criminals so they didn't have to build additional prisons. :mmm:

This is why I don't like referendums. It shows how silly the population can be sometimes. Example: Proposition 8, Swiss Minaret Ban etc

3 strikes is desperately unfair to a person brought up wrong and shown bad ways without being rehabilitated or helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumorousGent.)

looks like another 'horrific attack' in the making.
    Not sure what to say to this .
    I'm ashamed to say it made me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    It's to give prisoners some hope.

Some people DO change and they should be able to show that (although for some crimes I don't agree with this). If a life sentence was actually for life then the prisoners would have nothing to live for and just kill themselves.

Sadly then the public would complain about the prison officers just letting everyone die.

ReputationRep:
    you know what we should have instead, just have a nice big island in the middle of an ocean, miles from any land where we can abandon anybody sentenced to life (im sure we had australia once upon a time)
    then they can be left to fend for themselves and live off the land without being any threat to society. of course there'd have to be guards just off sure to sink any make-shift rafts

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.