Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't ******* know but the case in the OP----IT SHOULD BE LIFE, and he's lucky it's not death/another country. Soft gits we are.

ReputationRep:
    I support the death penalty, actually. I've yet to read a genuinely good argument against it, that cannot be retorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    I support the death penalty, actually. I've yet to read a genuinely good argument against it, that cannot be retorted.
    The only sensible argument I can think of against it, is the fear of getting the wrong person and for them to be proved totally innocent when it is too late. But otherwise.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    The only sensible argument I can think of against it, is the fear of getting the wrong person and for them to be proved totally innocent when it is too late. But otherwise.....
    Yes, of course; but if the death penalty was implemented so that only in cases of certain guilt (like being arrested after a murder red-handed, or CCTV evidence) it is passed, then I think that eliminates even that problem. The technology of DNA is far more advanced than it was when people have been wrongfully convicted of murder and jailed for life in the past - but as it has moved along, the judicial system has not.

I believe in a rehabilitating system rather than one for punishment and gratifaction, but the threat of death is powerful. Humans naturally need leaders and discipline - I'm not suggesting a dictatorship - but as animals we function best with steady leaders and the safety of fear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    I believe in a rehabilitating system rather than one for punishment and gratifaction, but the threat of death is powerful. Humans naturally need leaders and discipline - I'm not suggesting a dictatorship - but as animals we function best with steady leaders and the safety of fear.
    Depends what the rehabilitation system is. Some don't deserve it at all.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.