Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Im older than most people on here probably, but Im thinking of switching careers into medicine. I understand than mature students can take an Access to Medicine course if they do not have A-level qualifications (which I dont) but only some courses in the UK accept these A2M programmes while all accept A-levels. As I plan on applying to schools in Ireland and overseas as well as in the UK, does anyone recommend A-levels over A2M? Also, do colleges not let people above the 16-18 year old student take A-levels in chemistry and biology? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I think A levels are probably a "safer" route than A2M. I would rather do A levels than A2M.

Colleges should have A level classes for adults, often in the evenings, and at some places you can do the AS and A2 in one year

ReputationRep:
    Further education colleges will accept you. It's sixth forms that only allow people under 19.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at a sixth-form college, and we have student who is 21

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to go back to sixth form college and do A levels, Ill be 25 by the time I go.

(Original post by Cake-a-Doodle)
    I am hoping to go back to sixth form college and do A levels, Ill be 25 by the time I go.
    Same age as me then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxczxc12345)
    Hi. Im older than most people on here probably, but Im thinking of switching careers into medicine. I understand than mature students can take an Access to Medicine course if they do not have A-level qualifications (which I dont) but only some courses in the UK accept these A2M programmes while all accept A-levels. As I plan on applying to schools in Ireland and overseas as well as in the UK, does anyone recommend A-levels over A2M? Also, do colleges not let people above the 16-18 year old student take A-levels in chemistry and biology? Thanks.
    do Alevels.
    AtoM is better suited to thoes who have degrees in the wrong subject (eg history) or have a lot of years experiance in healthcare.
    you can take Aleves at college as a mature student but you usually have to ask at a few colleges before one will say yes.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your help!

ReputationRep:
    The Leeds Widening Access to Medicine website will definitely be useful, OP. Good luck

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.