Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Im older than most people on here probably, but Im thinking of switching careers into medicine. I understand than mature students can take an Access to Medicine course if they do not have A-level qualifications (which I dont) but only some courses in the UK accept these A2M programmes while all accept A-levels. As I plan on applying to schools in Ireland and overseas as well as in the UK, does anyone recommend A-levels over A2M? Also, do colleges not let people above the 16-18 year old student take A-levels in chemistry and biology? I posted this on the medicine forum also because I wasnt sure which was appropriate. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry A levels are very difficult to get, they have a strong practical component which must be tested in exam conditions. For this reason, it's mostly done at actual sixth form colleges, and most courses appear to be full time, which is why it is generally only 16-18 year olds. Personally I would want to avoid such a situation, so the access to medicine course would be a shorter path, even if A levels are more flexible. You absolutely need to excel at these courses to have a shot, but that's medicine for you.

You could always give the Open University a shot too if you don't mind waiting 5 years, and enter as a graduate science student. This is what I have done, waiting on interview responses right now (and I've applied to Masters courses as backups).

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in doing medicine and I too would be a mature student if I ever got onto a course. I read on the Liverpool Uni website that if you go via the A2M route you need vocational quals equivalent to level three! I haven't rang up about this yet. If that is the case it makes it much harder.

What blacklight said is a good idea too; I'm currently doing an open uni degree. It is possible to finish an Open uni degree in three years if you study full time.

What Open Uni degree are you doing blacklight?

ReputationRep:
    I did the Life Sciences BSc myself. I love the OU, it was a great experience that pretty much changed my life!

ReputationRep:
    Have you had any offers for interviews for medicine with that degree then? It's very relevant isn't it anyway so if you haven't yet I think you probably will.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AS levels in Biology and Chemistry for medicine (A2's next or GAMSAT - undecided) as a mature applicant..Chem is incredibly hard if you left school when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth like me...But I tried an Access course, granted not A2M but a relevant one and hated it to be honest. Tho it was a very good course for nurses/paramedics. A-levels are much more my thing..really rigorous and challenging but much better prep in my mind for the style of teaching I'm going to get a med school. Lots of independent study is required for both A2M and A-levels but the good thing is you're studying specifically whats needed for medicine with A-levels. Some Access courses are padded out a bit. The A2M in Sussex has psych on it, which I discovered I was very good at on the Access course but hated with a passion So much bloomin common sense and learning about old theories. The West Anglia is excellent if you can get on it. I also dont fancy relocating for 1yr to a place where I dont really want to do my degree. Good luck deciding and for your application to medicine too!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.