Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    this may be a bit long, so you have been warned :o:

started what i thought would be shadowing on monday with a pathologist that was meant to last till tomorrow. i got there monday and no-one seemed to know what to do, and the consultant wasnt there because he was busy with med students apparently. so i spent all day in the mortuary from 9-3. in the morning i saw a post mortem that lasted about an hour and a half at the most, then there was nothing to do and i spent the rest of it reading a newspaper (i passed up the chance of watching an 'eye retrieval' :o: ).
    tuesday i went in, actually saw the consultant for about 20 mins where he asked me some stuff and basically said dont get your hopes up because its hard to get in etc and to have a plan B, which is fair enough. i said i wanted to do lab work, but something more medical based like a histology lab (i have a degree in analytical chem), but he said id need another degree in biomedical science to do that
    so after that, i went into a histology lab where another consultant came in for about 40 mins and did some cutting up of samples (tumours etc). after that i was literally stood doing nothing and just talking to someone who worked there. then i saw someone in the next lab and he told me how they put the samples onto slides, and he showed me how to dye them etc. then i was stood around for ages again until i went into the cytology part and got told what cells they look at (20ish mins), then i went home.

i dont know what other people do, but that really didnt seem worth going in. i was literally sat there for hours doing nothing. and i saw the man i was meant to be shadowing for about 20 mins in total.

so i decided not to go back because im an idiot

but i also have the problem that im far too emotional when it comes to people dying. i know how stupid that sounds. ive seen post mortems before abroad (3 of them) and they didnt bother me too much, altho i got a bit upset in the 2nd one but i kept it in..
    but the one on monday (i wont go into too much detail) was a 30 year old man, and they described him as a 'recluse', and no-one knew fully why he died (no medical history that would explain it or anything like that). and to be honest i think thats what made me quit the 'shadowing'. i end up getting too emotionally involved or however you want to put it. i started thinking about him dying by himself with no-one around him, and that he was only young, and how he mustve felt not to go out much and things like that. i ended up crying last night thinking about it.

so now i have no shadowing experience apart from 2 days (altho i saw different labs and what he wouldve been doing), then some other volunteering and stuff. im guessing this isnt enough to get me in?
    i just feel like ive ruined everything. now im thinking i get too emotional about things, and that it would make me a crap doctor. but ive spent from september till now volunteering, practicing for ukcat and things. and now it feels like ive wasted my time i dont have anything to aim for now and i have no idea whether to carry on or just give up

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, I didn't read the whole thing, but I have 2 days worth of work experience and some volunteering and I've got an interview =D Medical schools realise that it's difficult to get work experience etc. Don't worry! As long as you have something!

Even if it's just one day, it's worth something! It's quality, not quantity!!! You've got to learn something from your work experience or there's no point in doing any at all. Chin up; don't give up! x

EDIT: O.o I didn't realise you were a mature applicant; they like to see a lot of volunteering etc w/ mature apps. If you have a lot of volunteering I think you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: How would this ruin your chances?
    You got *some* experience, which is pretty hard anyway, and probably learnt more than I did on the some of mine.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JacobM)
    Get in to WHAT?
    It's in the 'medicine applications and medicine' section so...

ReputationRep:
    Well you can always try something different like lion taming

ReputationRep:
    Before anyone else posts 'advice', I suggest you read the last paragraph.

OP, don't give it up completely. I would suggest you don't do oncology or anything like that, but there must be other areas of medicine you would be more comfortable in.

ReputationRep:
    graduate entry medicine (warwick hopefully).
    i have the 2 days obv, when i apply i'll have been at st john for a year, riding for the disabled for 2 months, disabled adults day centre a few times and a nursery for about 3 months once a week (im going to put that in so i can say ive worked with kids)

ReputationRep:
    I'll pray for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Before anyone else posts 'advice', I suggest you read the last paragraph.

OP, don't give it up completely. I would suggest you don't do oncology or anything like that, but there must be other areas of medicine you would be more comfortable in.
    i really wanted to do pathology, because i enjoy the different parts of it and the variety. it really interests me. i dont mind blood, guts, gore or anything. i dont even mind watching post mortems, i wouldnt even mind cutting up the different parts to check for tumours etc. i just cant stop thinking about how sad their family must be, the circumstances they died in and things like that
    maybe its something that takes some getting used to..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerset)
    Well you can always try something different like lion taming
    good advice is always appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done any shadowing but I have done volunteering and work experience at a gp practice and i've got four interviews this year. So I doubt you've ruined your chances. You have until September to do volunteering, other extracurriculars (sports, instruments etc.) and make sure you get good grades. Most universities do say they prefer people who have volunteered in care homes, hospitals etc. to work shadowing as generally there's not much you can learn from shadowing as you haven't had the training (or insurance) to actually do anything. Also it depends on what you put in your personal statement. It doesn't matter if you do a lot of experience if you learn nothing from it.

If your not sure whether you want to do medicine, its not going to hurt you to continue volunteering and all the other stuff because it will probably help you get into uni (assuming you'd chose to do another course). And that way if you decide to do medicine you'll have an option.

About being too emotional, there will probably be a lot of people who are like that, I think you probably could get over that with experience. It depends how much it affects you.

Don't give up too quickly without thinking about it and considering whether you want to study medicine or if there's something else your interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkymonkey21)
    but i also have the problem that im far too emotional when it comes to people dying. i know how stupid that sounds. ive seen post mortems before abroad (3 of them) and they didnt bother me too much, altho i got a bit upset in the 2nd one but i kept it in..
    but the one on monday (i wont go into too much detail) was a 30 year old man, and they described him as a 'recluse', and no-one knew fully why he died (no medical history that would explain it or anything like that). and to be honest i think thats what made me quit the 'shadowing'. i end up getting too emotionally involved or however you want to put it. i started thinking about him dying by himself with no-one around him, and that he was only young, and how he mustve felt not to go out much and things like that. i ended up crying last night thinking about it.
    I don't think this is the easy bit at all, and I'm sure that many other med. students struggle with this to begin with; developing a mental vacuum to cope with the scenario might take a bit of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omjaikali)
    I haven't done any shadowing but I have done volunteering and work experience at a gp practice and i've got four interviews this year. So I doubt you've ruined your chances. You have until September to do volunteering, other extracurriculars (sports, instruments etc.) and make sure you get good grades. Most universities do say they prefer people who have volunteered in care homes, hospitals etc. to work shadowing as generally there's not much you can learn from shadowing as you haven't had the training (or insurance) to actually do anything. Also it depends on what you put in your personal statement. It doesn't matter if you do a lot of experience if you learn nothing from it.

If your not sure whether you want to do medicine, its not going to hurt you to continue volunteering and all the other stuff because it will probably help you get into uni (assuming you'd chose to do another course). And that way if you decide to do medicine you'll have an option.

About being too emotional, there will probably be a lot of people who are like that, I think you probably could get over that with experience. It depends how much it affects you.

Don't give up too quickly without thinking about it and considering whether you want to study medicine or if there's something else your interested in.
    OP already has a degree and is a mature student, only wanting to do pathology.

ReputationRep:
    Just one suggestion, as you seem to be a mature anyway. Why don't you get a job as a HCA. That way you would get some more experience and you might find that actually being around that kind of thing would help you learn if you can cope.

ReputationRep:
    EXAGGERATE. They don't look that much into it. For example, in my ps I said I had done (plural) home visits and rounds of an old people's home, each of which I had only done one of. If you can get away with it, make out like those 20 minutes actually lasted a lot longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxyamy)
    Just one suggestion, as you seem to be a mature anyway. Why don't you get a job as a HCA. That way you would get some more experience and you might find that actually being around that kind of thing would help you learn if you can cope.
    ive applied to quite a few HCA jobs but never heard anything back from them. i have no idea how people manage to get them so easily!

ReputationRep:
    it can depend whereyou live, macca, and what you are prepared to do.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you need to worry. Although you've maybe not gotten the amount of experience you first wanted you've certainly got a lot to talk about in any interview. You can talk about how you made the effort to arrange this shadowing but how it seemed that there was so much going on in the hospital that it was difficult for the consultant to find any time to spare. You've gotten an insight into how busy hospital and hospital labs can be. This is all stuff you can talk about in the interview. How you've gained understanding of the stress that is currently on the NHS.

I also don't think you need to worry about being over emotional. In fact I think that it is important for doctors to not be too emotionall detatched, thats when you begin to lose part of your humanity. Obviously if its effecting you in a really negative way you might need to think about things you can do to make yourself feel better. Console yourself with the fact that if you are working within the healthcare profession you are part of a very large team that is trying to help these people.

If you go to med school you will get exposed to difficult situations but your peers will be going through the same things as you. This gives you a brilliant opportunity to talk about how you feel with others, discuss how care can be improved, make a difference.

This was longer than I was planning and may sound a bit cheesy, but I believe that it is true.

ReputationRep:
    about the death thing..... do some work experiance at a hospis that will help you get over it.

the hca thing..... it is hard to get a job as a HCA unless you already have work experiance. try a nursing home they usually train people from scratch.

if you dont get in this year then reapply next year and get lots of voluntary work in the mean time.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, like, seriously, what did you expect? to be attended to the WHOLE time you wa there? seriously, ANY work experience is better than nothing, you should've gone back tbh/done something else produtive in those hours you weren't doing much. tbh you seem a bit unappreciative no?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.