Turn on thread page Beta

i think ive ruined my chances of getting in :( watch

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked into getting a job as a medical lab assistant? You would be doing lab work, and you would be getting paid for it. It seems that people overlook the paid jobs because they think that shadowing or volunteering will make them look more determined or something (not you OP - I'm just generalising). Am I right in thinking that you arent applying till September? - If that's the case then you have months to sort out some more work experience.

As for the emotional thing, I don't think there's any quick fix - I think it's something that you will eventually learn to cope with. Try not to worry about it - just because you get upset at sad cases doesn't mean that you would make a terrible doctor, it means that you have a heart (and that you are really good at empathising with patients - maybe something to bring into an interview?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkymonkey21)
    ive applied to quite a few HCA jobs but never heard anything back from them. i have no idea how people manage to get them so easily!
    Have you tried to find out if your local hospital has a nursing bank? They would probably take you with no experience and train you.
    Or another idea would be to find out whether you have anything at the hospital which has volunteers that go to see terminal patients. I know it sounds a bit morbid, but if you actually get to spend a little time around these patients then you might find it's something that helps you to come to terms with death. I know at my local hospital there are services which are run by both the WRVS and St. John which do this and visit those who are in hospital long-term, so those on the oncology wards and other similar patients. Or as someone else said, perhaps in a nursing/care home, as they would probably take you without experience, and it's another place where you have to deal with death on a semi-regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Erm, like, seriously, what did you expect? to be attended to the WHOLE time you wa there? seriously, ANY work experience is better than nothing, you should've gone back tbh/done something else produtive in those hours you weren't doing much. tbh you seem a bit unappreciative no?
    i didnt actually say that i expected to be with him the entire time, i just expected there to be something for me to do or to see.
    what exactly should i have done in the spare 5 hours a day?
    and im appreciative of anything that i can get, but it was hard for me to get to the hospital in the first place, and going there for an hours experience a day didnt seem like i was gaining much.
    i apologise if this is somehow offensive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dances_with_lamposts)
    Have you looked into getting a job as a medical lab assistant? You would be doing lab work, and you would be getting paid for it. It seems that people overlook the paid jobs because they think that shadowing or volunteering will make them look more determined or something (not you OP - I'm just generalising). Am I right in thinking that you arent applying till September? - If that's the case then you have months to sort out some more work experience.

As for the emotional thing, I don't think there's any quick fix - I think it's something that you will eventually learn to cope with. Try not to worry about it - just because you get upset at sad cases doesn't mean that you would make a terrible doctor, it means that you have a heart (and that you are really good at empathising with patients - maybe something to bring into an interview?).

yeah im applying in september. to be honest, i think i need something where i'll get paid instead of volunteering/work experience. i've tried lab jobs, HCA and everything to that effect. ive even tried other jobs in the NHS sorting medical records, ambulance assistant... everything i can find i apply for, but ive heard nothing from any of them
    i have a degree in analytical chemistry, so im trying more for a chemistry job, but they want people with lab experience but i didnt do a sandwich year in uni. and jobs where they only want people with a-levels probably think im over-qualified, altho i still apply.
    its so hard getting a job, especially one that sort of relates to medicine. id carry on doing different volunteer things, but that obviously costs money to travel and i cant afford it because of debts ive got at uni still to pay off

and for the emotional thing i think your right. i think its good that ive experienced it before applying to uni because ive got to wonder how many people apply and do medicine without having to deal with death
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Funkymonkey21)
    yeah im applying in september. to be honest, i think i need something where i'll get paid instead of volunteering/work experience. i've tried lab jobs, HCA and everything to that effect. ive even tried other jobs in the NHS sorting medical records, ambulance assistant... everything i can find i apply for, but ive heard nothing from any of them
    i have a degree in analytical chemistry, so im trying more for a chemistry job, but they want people with lab experience but i didnt do a sandwich year in uni. and jobs where they only want people with a-levels probably think im over-qualified, altho i still apply.
    its so hard getting a job, especially one that sort of relates to medicine. id carry on doing different volunteer things, but that obviously costs money to travel and i cant afford it because of debts ive got at uni still to pay off

and for the emotional thing i think your right. i think its good that ive experienced it before applying to uni because ive got to wonder how many people apply and do medicine without having to deal with death

1) Just because you got emotional when thinking about how somebody dies alone, doesn't mean you wont make a good doctor. Id be much more concerned if you did not consider his family and his emotions and was completely emotionless when thinking about his death.

You are human, we do have emotions, it does take getting used to and its not easy thing. Its something you will have to work on to remain composed and not allow your emotions to affect your judgement on things.

2) When shadowing doctors you have to be able to adapt quickly. I mean when i set up my shadowing of an A&E consultant, i pretty much ended up shadowing different people from the entire team. I saw the consultant twice.

3) Don't take it personally they just have too many other things on their mind. Thinking about the managements plans for patients.

4) If medicine is definitely what you want to do, don't be put off so easily. If they agreed to allow you to shadow them or him or her, if they are busy bug his team or any other doctors in that departments.

5) Try and arrange a HCA volunteering placements something long term, and then if you get on with the ward manager where you are placed and they like you, you can get them to recommend you to HR, and give you a reference. It helps allot when applying for HCA jobs.

When I did my A&E placement in august 2008 I really did not know why I wanted to do medicine and could not articulate it into words.

Since that placement and through my long term HCA placement, my reasons become clear and i could articulate them. If anything the long term HCA placement solidified my desire to become a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    So long as you don't admit in an interview you walked out on it I'm sure it won't matter! Something is always better than nothing.

Death is hard to deal with but when you work with it everyday people get more able to cope.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.