Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Please keep anon as i dont want the whole of my uni knowing my financial business

(Original post by daniel_williams)
    (sorry to bother you daniel, but i'm a Bangor student and was hoping you could help as its a Bangor specific problem, but wanted to post anon for the above stated reason lol :o: )

basically i've been making my halls payments by debit card, and thus pay in 6 installments over the course of the academic year

i've never missed a payment or anything so as far as i know i'm in the finance office's good books atm

i'm due to make a payment on 29th january 2010, which will be ok as i have the money, however anoher payment is due on 26th february 2010. i will not be able to make this payment.

however, i am due to recieve a £1000 bursary on 1st march 2010 from the university, which would obviously put in me in a position to pay my accomodation fees.

do you think the finance office would be happy to wait a week until i have recieved my bursary? (it says in the terms and conditions of bursary payments on the uni website that payments may be withheld if the student has an outstanding debt to the university, however if i arranged to have my payment for halls rescheduled do you think they would still pay me my bursary, on the understanding that i would be making my payment to them as soon as i had the money?)

i hope this makes some sense lol

thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me if the finance office will accomodate me or not

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anon as i dont want the whole of my uni knowing my financial business

(sorry to bother you daniel, but i'm a Bangor student and was hoping you could help as its a Bangor specific problem, but wanted to post anon for the above stated reason lol :o: )

basically i've been making my halls payments by debit card, and thus pay in 6 installments over the course of the academic year

i've never missed a payment or anything so as far as i know i'm in the finance office's good books atm

i'm due to make a payment on 29th january 2010, which will be ok as i have the money, however anoher payment is due on 26th february 2010. i will not be able to make this payment.

however, i am due to recieve a £1000 bursary on 1st march 2010 from the university, which would obviously put in me in a position to pay my accomodation fees.

do you think the finance office would be happy to wait a week until i have recieved my bursary? (it says in the terms and conditions of bursary payments on the uni website that payments may be withheld if the student has an outstanding debt to the university, however if i arranged to have my payment for halls rescheduled do you think they would still pay me my bursary, on the understanding that i would be making my payment to them as soon as i had the money?)

i hope this makes some sense lol

thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me if the finance office will accomodate me or not
    Ok I'vemoved this from H&R to the Bangor forums for you, and have left it anonymous for the above reasons. whislt I'm going to give you advice I can't in any way say that its what will happen or will be the correct advice for you to follow to give the right outcome but its the best I can really do for you.

First and foremost, its important that you pop along to the halls office (ideally tomorrow), its the place you picked up your keys on moving in day (i assume you are on ffridd site) if not its on the main entrance to ffridd site, speak to them in there about the current situation you are in and see what advice they can offer. They are usually pretty good at helping out with things. failing that i'd head on down to the students' union. Pop up to the union floor and head to the advice centre, its at the far end of the corridor, you'll be able to speak to either Miar or Bev who are really nice and helpful. they may send you up stairs to the 3rd floor of the to talk to the monetary unit, where there is a possibility you could apply for a hardship fund, this isn't guaranteed but you could be eligible for a hardship fund that may be used to pay your halls fees.

I honestly don't know how it will affect your bursary (if at all) because yu may be able to get this sorted out. if in doubt please don't hesitate to pop to the SU advice centre, they will be able to offer you advice and make the necessary phone calls to try and help you with any issues you've got.

if you want any contact details etc or further information please don't hesitate to contact me by quoting me here or dropping me a PM (I know you want to remain anonymous but as a supermod I'm able to see all identities of anonymous posters, but I assure you that you will remain completely anonymous)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.