Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

'I'll die here', said tortured boy watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What sentence do you think the attackers should face?
    Capital Punishment
    23.54%
    Life Imprisonment
    25.66%
    A jail term with psychiatric help - released at some point when theyre 'deemed safe'
    34.13%
    Psychiatric Hospital until 'deemed safe'
    11.90%
    Put back into foster care with more qualified parents and on-hand psychiatric help
    3.70%
    Other... (Speicify in thread)
    1.06%

ReputationRep:
    Its the parents who deserve to be punished, the kids to be shut away and rehabilitated with IPP's over their heads. No child is born evil, they are made that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Yeah, jokes about torturing children are funny...

Anyway, I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't know how anyone can think it. I don't know why horrible crimes suddenly becomes acceptable because the victim has committed it before. It's just as bad whether it's done by the state or illegally.
    it stills makes no sense.

if i robbed a house, could i moan about someone stealing from me? no. why not? because i did it myself, so i obviously think that is it an ok thing to do.
    cant have rules for yourself and different for other people im afraid. if you do it yourself, you obviously think that it is acceptable behaviour.
    dont get me wrong, it would be a bit of a sick thing to do, but in theory its right.
    i personally think people like that should be locked up for life. that would be suffering in itself. and with no way to commit suicide. its only fair that they suffer like they made others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxdax)
    What do you think these lovely little boys will grow up into? Top-performing student and future inventors of Cold Fusion? No, they'll grow up to be useless chavs, and people like you will pay for it (be it with your tax money or any future daughter you may have).
    The murders in the Bulger case both passed their GCSEs and A-Levels, and one of them wanted to go to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkymonkey21)

if i robbed a house, could i moan about someone stealing from me? no. why not? because i did it myself, so i obviously think that is it an ok thing to do.
    cant have rules for yourself and different for other people im afraid. if you do it yourself, you obviously think that it is acceptable behaviour.
    dont get me wrong, it would be a bit of a sick thing to do, but in theory its right.
    i personally think people like that should be locked up for life. that would be suffering in itself. and with no way to commit suicide. its only fair that they suffer like they made others.
    You are talking about children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    They aren't going to be the same people as adults as they are now. They should get a second chance at life when they are older.
    No they should not, there should be absolutely no second chances when you do something like that. They didn't even show any remorse.
    I reckon they should get a life sentence that actually means life, ie no chance of being released ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkymonkey21)

An eye for an eye is really Old Testament thinking for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    They're not "idiots", they're psycopaths. Like, mini Patrick Batemans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    The murders in the Bulger case both passed their GCSEs and A-Levels, and one of them wanted to go to university.
    Oh wow! A monkey could pass GCSEs. But I don't think just because they're depraved murdering psycopaths who should be shot in the head that they're stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I'm just as disgusted at the responses on this thread. Whatever they did, they're still children, and the product of their environment. What chance did they ever have? It isn't right that they should suffer for the rest of their lives for what they did at the age of ten and eleven. There's no point in ruining more lives.
    Yes, they are children. Children who destroyed the lives of not only two other children, but their families aswell.
    You ask what chance did they ever have? Sadly, many children suffer from abuse and bad home circumstances, yet very few turn to these actions. Children know the difference between right and wrong, in particular these two criminals who show NO remorse for what they have done.
    So to answer your question, Yes I do believe it is right for these boys to suffer, because nothing can be worse than what those poor victims' parents are feeling right now.

ReputationRep:
    I live near where this happened :yeah: Those boys were fostered into one of the worst, most deprived areas of town and toa sponging couple. The child welfare system round here is fully ****** anyway. Yeah those boys are evil, but they never had a chance normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMinds)
    How do you know this? You may have known right and wrong, but I'm assuming (and apologies if I'm wrong) you had a stable life where your parents gave a crap. The perpetrators of this crime have been under child protection orders and put in care, do you think they were being provided with a fantastic moral education at their parents home?

I'm not saying this to excuse their behaviour, but I hear it a lot, and putting your own perspective on someone elses life isn't right. I may be wrong, everything was probably great in their original home and thats why they were heavily involved in social services. They got the kids to perform sex acts on each other, where do you think they learnt that from?
    I understand where you are coming from - but I was referring more on the general basis of everyone having an innate sense of moral awareness; of course that isn't totally proven, but I do believe everyone, possibly even those kids, knew what they were doing was wrong - they certainly didn't believe it was right anyway. According to the guardian, "On being played the mobile footage, seen by the court yesterday, the younger brother was asked how he felt. He replied: "All right," but then added that he felt bad.
    So surely he must've been aware what he was doing was wrong on at some level.

I do agree with you though; I shouldn't compare mine or a 'normal' child's behaviour at the age of 10/11 to that of the attackers', and make a judgement from that. It is clear that the parents played a role in this without a doubt, and unfortunately repairing their influence onto the children will take a hell of a lot of time. I think it's important the parents are brought to justice too though - they also played an indirect role in this horrible story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxdax)
    What do you think these lovely little boys will grow up into? Top-performing student and future inventors of Cold Fusion? No, they'll grow up to be useless chavs, and people like you will pay for it (be it with your tax money or any future daughter you may have).
    Do you think the only people who deserve to live are those who are top achievers according to society's values? Stupidest reason for wanting harsher punishments ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    No they should not, there should be absolutely no second chances when you do something like that. They didn't even show any remorse.
    I reckon they should get a life sentence that actually means life, ie no chance of being released ever.
    Do you REALLY think the parents instilled what was right or wrong in these children's minds? I very much doubt it.

They did wrong, very, very wrong. But they are children and deserve rehabilitation and to be helped, how do you think they are going to cope in a few years when they realise the extent of what they have done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    The way they were brought up has had devastating consequences. They have been beaten, chucked around, allowed to smoke cannabis and shown graphic images. These are things we must consider when evaluating how to come to an appropriate sentence. They have never had a chance to become a functioning member of society, and that is not their fault.

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest, these are boys who in a "normal family" would be pulling the wings off flies and torturing a nest of ants. The thing is they have had zero boundaries and a terrible upbringing so this is really the next step up surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    Oh wow! A monkey could pass GCSEs. But I don't think just because they're depraved murdering psycopaths who should be shot in the head that they're stupid.
    I was simply making the point that it is entirely possible that they will become functioning and contributing members of society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    Violence is bad... so let it be?

Oddly enough, I think the death penalty is disgusting, but the question is whether it is more disgusting than what the kids did, and whether the effort needed to put them back on track is worthwhile and worth the money.

Those are hard questions to answer.
    I lol when people try and use the excuse of it being too expensive to keep people in jail as justification for the death penalty. In the US states with the death penalty criminals typically spend years on death row, and executing a prisoner is typically more expensive than life imprisonment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Lets be honest, these are boys who in a "normal family" would be pulling the wings off flies and torturing a nest of ants. The thing is they have had zero boundaries and a terrible upbringing so this is really the next step up surely?
    In the article it mentions a history of violence from their father.
    To me that screams other things than just boundaries, although that is of course part of it.

ReputationRep:
    I was simply making the point that it is entirely possible that they will become functioning and contributing members of society.
    In what way? Because they passed GCSEs? As I said, intelligence has nothing to do with whether you are a psychopath or not. And they are, not doubt about it, psychopathic. It's whether you believe they can be cured from that or not. I don't think they can, and I am certain that the children involved in the Bulger case will kill again.

ReputationRep:
    The way they were brought up has had devastating consequences. They have been beaten, chucked around, allowed to smoke cannabis and shown graphic images. These are things we must consider when evaluating how to come to an appropriate sentence. They have never had a chance to become a functioning member of society, and that is not their fault.
    that is true, and the parents that have kids like that should also be seen to see if they themselves are mentally ill. but not all murders have a hard upbringing. so what excuse can you come up with for them?

yes, in this case, the parents may have made them worse. but just giving them a slap on the wrist and telling them never to do it again is a waste of time. they need to be put into a hospital and be treated for whatever mental condition they have. but i think that once a killer always a killer. i cannot see how anyone can go from a murderer to 'normal'. it just doesnt happen. like someone said before, serial killers start off with weird thoughts/habits. then they have to carry them out (like these two boys). then after that they just get worse. leave them in society and next time they will kill.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.