Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Uni sounds eve more awesome for us Western students then, can't wait til next year

ReputationRep:
    I'm only going to uni so I get a well paid job which will afford my drug habit.

ReputationRep:
    It's called multi-tasking. Work hard and play hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    I'm only going to uni so I get a well paid job which will afford my drug habit.

Fair play lad, fair play!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nativeLondoner)
    It seems to me that the majority of white students are incredible self indulgent. Even the ones at good unis hardly ever study. Instead the majority of their time is spent either drinking, having sex, taking drugs and having stupid philosophical debates etc... Gap years too are completely pointless and vapid, I swear these ******* need to do some national service or something. Too many of these ***** in education.

Eastern students generally study considerably more. We are talking a proper 12 hour working day often topped up with a part time job at weekends.

Does anyone else think todays students are taking the piss a bit?
    Over generalising a bit too much aren't you.

And "Gap years too are completely pointless and vapid" erm... no... the whole "point" is that they are not vapid... then why would we go on them?

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me that the majority of white students are incredible self indulgent. Even the ones at good unis hardly ever study. Instead the majority of their time is spent either drinking, having sex, taking drugs and having stupid philosophical debates etc... Gap years too are completely pointless and vapid, I swear these ******* need to do some national service or something. Too many of these ***** in education.

Eastern students generally study considerably more. We are talking a proper 12 hour working day often topped up with a part time job at weekends.

Racist. I'm white, and anything shorter than a 16-hour day is a break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I wouldn't. Videos are SO 1990s.
    Well I assumed that by "videos" he meant videos in general, rather than specifically VHS:p:

Although yeah if it only played VHS that would be pretty damn useless.

ReputationRep:
    A bit of truth to this, though not so much a Eastern vs Western issue as the OP makes it to be. The problem is the "lets all go to uni coz its the norm" culture, too many people go to university to get drunk, party and generally waste time(I know people in their penultimate year who go to every student night out possible then complain about lecture times), and these are the ones who give hard working students a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    Somewhat stereotypical thread as I think its more a lifestyle that students are used to rather than the students themselves being like that i.e I am 26 but even when I was 18 I was never interested in clubbing and went to a small local campus of a uni part time and it had next to no drop outs and a good pass rate and most students got A's

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a lot of native students may don't take studying as seriously as international students, but to say every student lives a life of hedonism is completely wrong. That's a stereotype which is lived up to by a minority of students, certainly isn't the norm. Living a life of drugs? I knew one or two, but they were laughed at for how they liked to scrape through their studies, not heralded as heroes. Rampant sex? Pfft, most students probably wish it was like that, but reality is cruel.

ReputationRep:

I completely agree but I'd be lying if I wasn't one of the people you were ranting about. We students are decadent and there are too many of us. Though I will actually give something back when I've left University. I don't mean indulge myself in glamorous hot places and "discover myself" but spend at least a few months in a poor country teaching people who have nothing.

ReputationRep:

This post makes quite a bit of sense tbh. I agree with the self indulgence stuff, and heartily agree that time is wasted on stupid philosophical debates.

And the Gap Year thing pisses me off- wealthy students get to spend 8 weeks in a hot 3rd world country, whilst bringing nothing to the people's that live there- then you get jetted right back to Britain in time for the ******* 7'oclock news. It is more a case of wanting to improve uni applications. So what you taught English to Burmese kids, if you really cared you would disregard uni. You people sicken me. especially you.

ReputationRep:
    Instead the majority of their time is spent either drinking, having sex, taking drugs and having stupid philosophical debates etc...
    Yeah... how dare they discuss philosophy! Especially if they happen to be... philosophy students! :confused:

Maybe you're just too stupid to get on with them or understand the debate :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by /dev/null)
    OP has a point. But for a select few. Depends also on subject too, I'm guessing people on science-based courses couldn't get away with that, or they'd just fail every year. :-P
    Yes, cause Arts students, like those learning languages or studying psychology, can really just wing their exams without having studied for the entire year. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    I completely agree but I'd be lying if I wasn't one of the people you were ranting about. We students are decadent and there are too many of us. Though I will actually give something back when I've left University. I don't mean indulge myself in glamorous hot places and "discover myself" but spend at least a few months in a poor country teaching people who have nothing.
    lol, keep telling yourself that.

ReputationRep:
    I admit that the 'poor student' stereotype doesn't apply anymore, but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything wrong with living a hedonistic lifestyle? Not really no. If they can relax all day and still pass all their uni exams, good for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sith5580)
    HAHAHA, don't you love it when a retard who doesn't know what a hard days work is yet comes on an open forum and poors his poor little heart out.

If you mean Eastern European then thats a great generalisation since the Eastern bloc has some of the most decadent aspects of mankind in it, who will happily kill to increase their financial gain.

If you mean Middle-East, stop whining, people work hard to get where they are. Don't like it go back there and will talk when you've had a look at the s**t state Dubai is in due to overspending

If you mean Far East, well most of them need to get a life, they spend too much time engrossed in technology, they would buy a machine that would show them a video and wipe their arse at the same time if they could.

Some people have serious ambitions, I go to school from 9 until 4, but get up at 6:50 and get home at 5:10. I also have a job working over 12 hours per weekend. And then I have to do my studies. So F**k off if you don't like the country, and live somewhere where everyone is like you. I suggest Afghanistan. Stop smearing people in general with your little minded sh*t.
    wow and i thought the OP has some ignorant elements to it. You obviously have no idea what the **** your talking about you stupid person. Eastern europeans killing for financial gain WTF?

Far East, well most of them need to get a life, they spend too much time engrossed in technology WTF?

Did you want some colourful crayons with that as well you abnoxious little ****

ReputationRep:

Seems to you... How many of these students do you know, how wide a variety of different universities and backgrounds do they come from and perhaps most importantly, how much has your opinion been influenced by stereotypes?

ReputationRep:

WHITE PPL R LAZY

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.