The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Westerners work less at the weekends than east europeans because they're richer, working class westerners will do part-time work still.

As for the course workload, it depends on the subject, something like engineering, maths, physics etc will be long hours. I'm doing history and it's a joke, I just have so few hours that I have no reason to wake up early, to study hard, or anything.

Even when I should really work, like when I have an essay, I find it hard because I'm so unused to it - so I do it a couple of days before and get a high 2:1 or a low 1st generally, and then when the essays over I slip right back into doing barely anything at all again.

I'm only now beginning to see that the only solution to this is to force yourself to be active and busy by going to society events etc - but for me the decadence of further education has been the bane of my life for years, and the OP is right to question whether it's an effective way to educate people really. My course could literally have taken one year rather than three, that would still only mean 15 hours a week!!
nativeLondoner
It seems to me that the majority of white students are incredible self indulgent. Even the ones at good unis hardly ever study. Instead the majority of their time is spent either drinking, having sex, taking drugs and having stupid philosophical debates etc... Gap years too are completely pointless and vapid, I swear these ******* need to do some national service or something. Too many of these ***** in education.

Eastern students generally study considerably more. We are talking a proper 12 hour working day often topped up with a part time job at weekends.

Does anyone else think todays students are taking the piss a bit?

Way to generalise the huge majority of the student population.

There is no such thing as a typical white student. Please don't be racist. Thanks.
Reply 42
nativeLondoner
It seems to me that the majority of white students are incredible self indulgent. Even the ones at good unis hardly ever study. Instead the majority of their time is spent either drinking, having sex, taking drugs and having stupid philosophical debates etc... Gap years too are completely pointless and vapid, I swear these ******* need to do some national service or something. Too many of these ***** in education.

Eastern students generally study considerably more. We are talking a proper 12 hour working day often topped up with a part time job at weekends.

gap years are good, for me its break so I can go to uni with as much passion for what im doing as possibble after 15 straight years of school/college

go on comment this then...

edit: please stop being racist
Reply 43
nativeLondoner

You only live once.... liven up.
Reply 44
Meh, dont need to do any more than im doing. Im already at first average, so why bother with extra study? I dont need any money so why work? I rather enjoy philosphical debates so why not have them? I quite enjoy getting drunk so why not get drunk every second day?
Reply 45
Aphotic Cosmos
Way to generalise the huge majority of the student population.

There is no such thing as a typical white student. Please don't be racist. Thanks.

Way to want there to be a difference.
Reply 46
NoHands
Meh, dont need to do any more than im doing. Im already at first average, so why bother with extra study? I dont need any money so why work? I rather enjoy philosphical debates so why not have them? I quite enjoy getting drunk so why not get drunk every second day?

Why waste money going to uni though. I don't get it?!
Your just running up a debt for an average education.
Reply 47
rob6709
You only live once.... liven up.

Other people only live once as well. How about donating that money for the Gap Year to Oxfam and go some local based charity work. Of course not.
Reply 48
Yuppie20
Why waste money going to uni though. I don't get it?!
Your just running up a debt for an average education.

See... this jsut pisses me off. Without uni, what the hell can you do short of go into politics (and even then, most important/infuential polititians have degrees, etc.) or working at pretty dead-end jobs.

Im not running up a debt because im pretty lucky, but for everyone else, going to uni is probably the best investment they will ever make. Uni will in 95% of cases get you a job one hell of a lot better than you would have even after working for 5 or 6 years without a degree.

Also, if you are in the 5% that end up with a crap job, the debts you rack up at uni are not particularly burdening in the sense that you dont not have to pay them back after you start earning 15k and even then, you only pay 7% or 9% over the 15k threshold. So if you leave uni and are unemployed for the rest of your life, youll never pay your debt back and you will have had some really good years, for free.
Reply 49
CandyFlipper
Westerners work less at the weekends than east europeans because they're richer, working class westerners will do part-time work still.

As for the course workload, it depends on the subject, something like engineering, maths, physics etc will be long hours. I'm doing history and it's a joke, I just have so few hours that I have no reason to wake up early, to study hard, or anything.

Even when I should really work, like when I have an essay, I find it hard because I'm so unused to it - so I do it a couple of days before and get a high 2:1 or a low 1st generally, and then when the essays over I slip right back into doing barely anything at all again.

I'm only now beginning to see that the only solution to this is to force yourself to be active and busy by going to society events etc - but for me the decadence of further education has been the bane of my life for years, and the OP is right to question whether it's an effective way to educate people really. My course could literally have taken one year rather than three, that would still only mean 15 hours a week!!

I could have written this all myself! I have eight hours in University a week (BA English - Lincoln).

I have the same problem getting into work and average a low 2:1 which needs to improve.

A horribly decadent thing is when you find yourself complaining about a 9am start hour long seminar when you want to go out the night before. Especially when I used to spend six hours in school a day.
Reply 50
NoHands
See... this jsut pisses me off. Without uni, what the hell can you do short of go into politics (and even then, most important/infuential polititians have degrees, etc.) or working at pretty dead-end jobs.

Im not running up a debt because im pretty lucky, but for everyone else, going to uni is probably the best investment they will ever make. Uni will in 95% of cases get you a job one hell of a lot better than you would have even after working for 5 or 6 years without a degree.

Also, if you are in the 5% that end up with a crap job, the debts you rack up at uni are not particularly burdening in the sense that you dont not have to pay them back after you start earning 15k and even then, you only pay 7% or 9% over the 15k threshold. So if you leave uni and are unemployed for the rest of your life, youll never pay your debt back and you will have had some really good years, for free.

Are you serious?? You actually think you're lining yourself up for a job that's not a dead ender? The job opportunities, regarding people who don't go to a top uni, are really not that different. Uni is built up in peoples minds far to a far greater importance than it is. TBH most on here, bar a few will get good, middle class supporting jobs; dead enders, if thats what you want to avoid I'd leave. What are you really expecting?
Reply 51
nativeLondoner

I think you'll find the eastern students are the ones putting out for westerners to bang. And where the hell do you think the drugs come from?!?

Your right though, they don't drink or bother getting involved in the debates, they just move on to the next lay.
Reply 52
NoHands

Journalism or the city?
Reply 53
Who cares what anyone does? Life's pretty meaningless, do whatever you want! Drink, have sex and have a philosphical debate all at the same time if you like!
Generalising nonsense was on the whole a load of generalising nonsense. What a crap thread.
Reply 55
Instead the majority of their time is spent either drinking, having sex, taking drugs and having stupid philosophical debates

TRUE! I love it though, because I still pass

gosh my degree is philosophical debates aswell, should I just be killed in your opinion :wink:
Reply 56
Yuppie20
Are you serious?? You actually think you're lining yourself up for a job that's not a dead ender? The job opportunities, regarding people who don't go to a top uni, are really not that different. Uni is built up in peoples minds far to a far greater importance than it is. TBH most on here, bar a few will get good, middle class supporting jobs; dead enders, if thats what you want to avoid I'd leave. What are you really expecting?

Well, they sure as hell beat working for minimum/slightly above minimum wage tbh.

Im pretty sure I wont go down that route anyways... :rolleyes:
Reply 57
Quady
Journalism or the city?

The idea that Uni is a waste of money because you "rack up debts"...
Reply 58
Whilst students are notorious for drinking and partying and perhaps do so a little too much, it's because University is often the first real freedom an individual experiences. Arguably, people expect students to behave in this manner as a period of transistion into adulthood - well we're certainly encouraged to by the very favourable drink promotions!

Grouping philosophical debate with the above shows that you have little concept of University itself - University (at least from a Western perspective) is a liberal education: nurturing the development of both yourself and in turn society. Regardless of the topic, debate is far from pointless, as by figuring out how you see the world you'll eventually find out where you want to figure in it.
Reply 59
nativeLondoner
It seems to me that the majority of white students are incredible self indulgent. Even the ones at good unis hardly ever study. Instead the majority of their time is spent either drinking, having sex, taking drugs and having stupid philosophical debates

Sweeping ******* generalisation. Seriously? If I made a similar comment about black people, or eastern people, that'd be wrong wouldn't it?

Latest

Trending

Trending