Turn on thread page Beta

21-year-old Pokemon collector breaks world record watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/809883-p...s-world-record

I guess some people never grow out of certain fads..I stopped liking Pokemon many years ago (though the Game Boy games remain awesome) and so it's surprising that there are people around who still collect the plushies and merch.

I was reading this with friends earlier and some of them thought it was hilarious that she still collects Pokemon, but felt rubbish for laughing when they then read about her issues and disability. Is it wrong to laugh at her because she still collects Pokemon, or should we feel sympathy instead because she was bullied or because she's technically disabled? Opinions on this? Anyone think they can beat this record?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxcs)
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/809883-p...s-world-record

I guess some people never grow out of certain fads..I stopped liking Pokemon many years ago (though the Game Boy games remain awesome) and so it's surprising that there are people around who still collect the plushies and merch.

Is it wrong to laugh at her because she was bullied or because she's technically disabled? Opinions on this? Anyone think they can beat this record?
    Yes, it is disgusting to laugh at someone for the reasons you've given.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't she have done something productive instead? Honestly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Yes, it is disgusting to laugh at someone for the reasons you've given.
    I should probably reword that, haha..it does sound a bit wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Me and her would be good friends.

*points at sig*

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I think that's brilliant! Wow!

ReputationRep:
    Pfffft, Absol. Gengar's where it's at!

ReputationRep:
    haha read that in the metro on the tube this morning, made me chuckle. Ah well if it makes her happy i guess..

ReputationRep:
    I saw this guy on ebay selling every single Pokemon card he'd ever collected (including all 150 original Pokemon) for just £100 to "raise funds for the upcoming university year".

Made me sad

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should just do what makes them happy.

Within reason, of course.

ReputationRep:
    nothing wrong with liking pokemon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    how is collection pokemon unproductive?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, she is the one who we should laugh at, I mean - collecting pokemon is nowhere near as cool as doing drugs for instance.

/end sarcasm

Good for her tbh

ReputationRep:
    Absoi? How can anyone possibly like the new(er) pokemons? I got lost after after Mewtwo...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renlok)
    how is collection pokemon unproductive?
    How is it productive?

ReputationRep:
    if it made her happy and able to cope with it then thats fine, as for it not being productive, i would count it along the same lines as stamp collecting, its a recognised hobby so why should this be an issue? shes clearly had a great deal of suffering in the past

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe it's a girl!

ReputationRep:
    i wander if she'll trade me charizard..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    The article says she was severely bullied. It seemed to of been a way to deal with the bullying. I suppose you measure peoples value in how much money they make too?

ReputationRep:
    Aww, it makes me sad that she needs the stuffed toys to make her happy, but then it makes me happy that she's found a way to be happy.

I'm confused now!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.